• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Disappointing

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate this, but...Other than a pre-MLB player wanting a chance, or an unemployed MLB castoff, or someone who grew up in the area just wanting to return there to retire, I can’t fathom why any player with talent would want to play for the Reds.

They don’t pay much, they don’t win much, the weather isn’t great, it is a media desert, and fans haven’t had a sane reason to show up in droves for decades.

Trades, given this Reds regime’s limitations/goals, are tough to improve the team with. You can’t get diamonds for dung. Homer Bailey wouldn’t bring a batboy in return unless it came with more cash than his salary. They can’t meet payroll by trading for a player with even the average MLB salary.

Teams don’t trade multi year locked up value players with upside or High level MLB probability, for the resumes on the Reds roster.

If the Reds can’t buy them, they have to grow them, a lot better and more frequently than recent times.

I’m sure it’s hard to do, but I wish they would stop calling this a rebuild until they actually have some lumber, some nails and someone that can build to a blueprint on site.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the brighter side, Scooter hasn’t cost them much (yet). Votto is playing his salary out acceptably given the current market price, although he may be more Pete Rose than Frank Robinson-esc the rest of the way. Peraza has hit better than I ever dreamed he would. Winker can hit, too. Suarez has had a great year. Barnhart is a gamer. Castillo sometimes looks like a keeper, and Iglesias usually does. There are a few pitchers that have improved, albeit with reduced roles- Garrett, Reed, and of course Senzel is reason for optimism.

All they need is another hitter.... and a starting rotation...lol.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the brighter side, Scooter hasn’t cost them much (yet). Votto is playing his salary out acceptably given the current market price, although he may be more Pete Rose than Frank Robinson-esc the rest of the way. Peraza has hit better than I ever dreamed he would. Winker can hit, too. Suarez has had a great year. Barnhart is a gamer. Castillo sometimes looks like a keeper, and Iglesias usually does. There are a few pitchers that have improved, albeit with reduced roles- Garrett, Reed, and of course Senzel is reason for optimism.

All they need is another hitter.... and a starting rotation...lol.
There are usually 2 or 3 outs in the lineup every day uniess Hamilton runs into a few misplaced fastballs. Reds offense depends on the front row of the outfield to provide the runs and hopes their pitchers are luckier than that. In Miami, you just go for the popups.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scored 3 runs against the 2nd-worst team in MLB, left 9 runners on in the last 3 innings, tells us they are looking for a manager and that Suarez is too tired to hit now. Matt Harvey gutting it out for 5 innings against an inert offense, hoping to tell us that this Fan Appreciation day is good for cancer control. I hope the fan appreciates all that was done.

But hey, Votto is leading the league on On Base Percentage.
It is nice to see him on first base so often, isn't it?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games left . 3 with the Pirates. I figure the Pirates will want to make a deal out of Cervelli getting hit, after Taillon got Suarez for the 2nd time this season. My opinion I would hit Taillon if he throws at Suarez again.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Peraza is the only player on this team ending his season on a high note offensively. His defense would be a different tune.

The kid is still only 24 years old. Not the most selective hitter, but he is starting to show increased power potential as he matures.

If he's going to hit for more power moving forward he better improve his pitch selection. Along with increased power comes being pitched around more. Especially in a lineup full of easier outs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd send Hurdle a message that it's time he stopped sending his boys to play games with other hitters.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear a lot of people say the Reds are playing this way because they are tired. But were they also tired in April . Isn't the Marlins and KC tired as well. And if Riggleman is playing the starters every day to win more games , some one needs to let him know that it isn't working. I would be shocked if he is manager after this year.

I don't know what is wrong with this team, but this has been the most depressing season that I have ever witnessed, in all the years I have followed them, and that goes back to the early 60's, And what bothers me as well, I don't see any sign that the Reds ownership or the FO give a rats ass

I'd rather watch a little league game, than watch this team right now

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what bothers me as well, I don't see any sign that the Reds ownership or the FO give a rats ass

I don't doubt the ownership group cares, but caring can be an emotional response to what should be a baseball business decision.

Bob Castellini is a mixed bag. He's as big a fan as any of us and wants to win, but isn't qualified to be making player personnel decisions. Front office hiring practices of nepotism and cronyism only serve to exasperate the problem.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were in a pennant race, I think 'tired' players would not be on the bench while Brandon Dixon gobbled up at-bats, so that's a crock of shit.

I get it about the emotional fatigue. We all get that at times. In sports, it manifests itself differently. Scooter can be excused for trying too hard. I think Votto is playing the role but he's given up this year. The rest of them haven't learned to play a long season.

Youth being served on rebuilding teams -- even the ones who have no clue how to rebuild -- is fine for payroll and hope, but you need guys like Lester and Holliday and such to win the long season. Cincy has almost nobody who has ever done that, aside from Votto and Matt Harvey. Homer, I guess, has been there.