• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Disappointing

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems they are pretty insistent on finding a starter outside the system, which entertains a lot of questions.
My guess is they have 3 starters in place, 4 if Harvey agrees to a contract -- and a lot of holes after that. It's not a new dilemma for this franchise. Lorenzen needs to get a chance at that position since he clearly wants it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, when has Wandy Peralta ever inspired any confidence?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wandy was descent the 1st half of 2017, but even then he allowed a lot of runners to reach base. Opponents batting average against him has gone up significantly since then. He doesn't allow a ton of runs that are charged to his ERA, but he's been fortunate with other relievers cleaning up his mess.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the elbow injury I don't see any reason Michael Lorenzen hasn't been given another look. If he can pitch 3 innings, he can pitch 4, and then 5. He could have been stretched out over time.

Iglesias would fall into the same bubble wrap thinking.

There was always an inherent risk signing college closers and Cubans with low inning histories to be SP. The same can be said in signing any young pitcher as we've seen with the Hunter Greene.

There has been a lot of emphasis put on pitch counts and innings in search of injury prevention.

I think all that has been proven is pitching causes injuries.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peralta, with 2 on base and 2 out, went to a 3-2 count on the hitter, thus insuring that a run would score on a base hit out of the infield. That's what separates relievers from hacks. You go 3-2 and the runners are off on the pitch. If it's not a 3-2 count, maybe the guy has to stop at third base. Minor details? Yeah, for teams that are below .500, details matter.

The whole of the Reds staff is they throw too many pitches and usually have exposed all of them just to get out of the 1st inning. Third time through the order, and they've already shown everything they have ... and it's often wild and belt high on the outer half.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pitching staff goes 3-2 in the count so often it makes you think it's a requirememt.

Two out allows the runner to go on contact. Add 3-2 count and the runner starts when the pitcher moves toward home plate. The killer in combining both is it increases the odds of clearing the bases on a double.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harvey was very good last night. Makes you wonder if the Brewers have regret over not completing that trade.

Phil Ervin wasn't very good. Taking strike three looking with no outs and a runner on 3rd is always a rally killer. He left two runners on 3rd with less than two outs last night. I thought he was going to strike out for the 4th time in his at bat against De La Rosa in the 9th.

De La Rosa in the 9th showed how much hitting approach matters. Ervin was pitched away the entire AB and never atempted to go the other way. Casali gets ahead 1-0 and goes with the pitch for a double to right center. Barnhart was pitched inside and couldn't lay off the down and in pitches. Hamilton takes the down and in pitches and walks. A guy like De La Rosa needs a little help to beat you and a couple of those 9th inning AB's obliged him.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the game but it sounds like a game that the Reds should have won. Happ is a 225 hitter until he faces the Reds, then he becomes Ted Williams and babe Ruth all rolled into one. It always makes me wonder about those types of players. If they can get that up for one team why not the rest. Makes me think they really don't care that much

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the game but it sounds like a game that the Reds should have won. Happ is a 225 hitter until he faces the Reds, then he becomes Ted Williams and babe Ruth all rolled into one. It always makes me wonder about those types of players. If they can get that up for one team why not the rest. Makes me think they really don't care that much
IT HELPS when pitchers throw meatballs to guys who are looking for one pitch to drive.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is almost like these losses to the Cubs are scripted. They needed a 3-run homer last night to win and Hernandez promptly obliged. They only needed 3 runs, so that's all the get. Today, they need a shutout to win ... and the Reds are lucky to get out of the batter's box.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams are among the leaders in NL batting average, but rank in the bottom half in homers. Both teams would seem better equipped to produce runs than they actally do. But the proverbial meatball theory seems to prevail.

It doesn't make for good viewing, especially when you consider it still took 2:39 to play a game that had literally no offense to speak of.

Some might say it was a pitchers duel, but I think it was just two teams that aren't very good offensively right now.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds went 0'fer in hits with RISP for the second series this month. The Cubs had two hits with RISP and one of those was a three run homer. That series was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen this September improved pitching charade before. Last September Stephenson, Romano, Mahle, and Castillo all looked like pitchers trending in the right direction. If it takes 5 months to get warmed up..... why bother?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've seen this September improved pitching charade before. Last September Stephenson, Romano, Mahle, and Castillo all looked like pitchers trending in the right direction. If it takes 5 months to get warmed up..... why bother?
Looks like the Reds are structuring their 2019 rotation if we are paying attention.
NOT part of it are Stephenson, Romano and Bailey.
Castillo and Reed are going to get a shot, rightfully so. Reed will get this last chance.
Mahle is probably in so there's no reason to wreck that dead arm. Same with Sims, though it's hard to tell with him.
Harvey will be in -IF- he signs. My guess is, he might. If Harvey flees, they will go after a starter. If not, they will shore up the bullpen.
Lorenzen has made his case. Garrett has not.
Disco is obviously in but he's an appealing trade option.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 runs in 3 games , not much to see here. I noticed that Riggleman rest Scooter a lot, Is there a reason for that? What is 28 yrs old

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 runs in 3 games , not much to see here. I noticed that Riggleman rest Scooter a lot, Is there a reason for that? What is 28 yrs old
S coots is trying too hard to win the batting title.
If he gets fewer at-bats his average doesn't drop as much.
Yes, the batting title is a big deal for this team and for the player who is working hard at winning it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riggleman and his staff should be fired for that embarrassment against the Brewers.
Seriously, have they no pride at all?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is going to help if Scooter sits. Yelich and the Reds pitchers helping him, proved that last night. THIS TEAM REALLY SUCKS RIGHT NOW. And it is really hard to watch them right now

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Reds are structuring their 2019 rotation if we are paying attention

The Reds have a top hat full of moth balls and are trying to pull a rabbit out of it. I don't think it's meant to be an illusion for fans, but what we're seeing illustrates a rudimentary lack of understanding how to develop and evaluate pitching prospects.

They're basically throwing names up against the wall and hope a couple stick at this point. I don't see a long term process that is working.

Last Winter we were all skeptical of this club's plan heading into 2018. Homer, Finnegan, and Disco were all suspect and we now know that to be true. This season answered a lot questions, but most of the answers weren't the ones the Reds were hoping for.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have a top hat full of moth balls and are trying to pull a rabbit out of it. I don't think it's meant to be an illusion for fans, but what we're seeing illustrates a rudimentary lack of understanding how to develop and evaluate pitching prospects.

They're basically throwing names up against the wall and hope a couple stick at this point. I don't see a long term process that is working.

Last Winter we were all skeptical of this club's plan heading into 2018. Homer, Finnegan, and Disco were all suspect and we now know that to be true. This season answered a lot questions, but most of the answers weren't the ones the Reds were hoping for.
We naturally don't have any insight as to what deals, if any, are being shoved across the desk. I can't see the Reds dealing from strength this winter. Maybe in a year if Senzel and that mix begins to jell. There is no pitching at all in the system so they'd better learn to outscore people. Disco is showing to be very mediocre.