• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did we just win the 2019 draft?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every qb in the league is on a short leash. Just the business of the game. If Big Ben started out 0-2 with horrible stats, the talk would start. Brady might be the only guy in the league that could go about 0-8 before the replacement talk started. Your only as good as your last couple of games.

Not every QB is on a short leash.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day you’re always going to be Cincinnati... so no.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this division, yeah, I expect us to compete. This has turned into a little bit of a weak sauce division.
What?
Baltimore is strong, Cleveland is much improved and Pittsburgh always reloads.
Cincy is finishing last.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thant's a bit too optimistic. My ceiling for the Bengals is 9 wins if things go well. Their division is going to be tough. They have an average QB. Their draft wasn't very good.

I think their draft was sneaky good. They have a ton of players returning from injury. New playbooks and renewed hope. We will see how good Taylor does, but the talent on this team they are capable of winning 11 games. I didn't say they would necessarily, but they have the talent. Pittsburgh is not nearly as good as they used to be. Baltimore lost some defense and trying to figure out their new offensive identity too. Cleveland made the most aggressive moves in the division. I can see them having a good year, but I can also see them disappointing with as much personality as they have on that team with a rookie HC and a QB needing to make the adjustment on the league in his second year after the league got a year of tape of his tendencies.

Everyone keeps saying Dalton is bad, but he is not a bad QB. He is no Rodgers or Brady because he can't carry an entire team on his shoulders like those guys can. He needs talent around him, and he has it, the last couple years he has just been needing some help up front blocking. Give him time, he can make throws. I am more than confident in him. If Trent "freaking" Dilfer can win a SB, I think Dalton can with the right guys around him and a scheme that fits his abilities.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What?
Baltimore is strong, Cleveland is much improved and Pittsburgh always reloads.
Cincy is finishing last.

I disagree. But that is okay. You don't have to agree with me. We just have to wait for the season to play out.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every qb in the league is on a short leash. Just the business of the game. If Big Ben started out 0-2 with horrible stats, the talk would start. Brady might be the only guy in the league that could go about 0-8 before the replacement talk started. Your only as good as your last couple of games.

Isn't that an indictment against Dalton?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that an indictment against Dalton?

Well Dalton was hurt the last half of the year so you are unable to associate that with him unless you go back to prior that when he was starting before the injury. Then he had also lost Green, Eifert.

New year, new scheme, new coaching staff. Have to wait until after the first few games of this upcoming year to judge him again.

Otherwise, every QB sucks except Brady. He was the only one left standing.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Dalton was hurt the last half of the year so you are unable to associate that with him unless you go back to prior that when he was starting before the injury. Then he had also lost Green, Eifert.

New year, new scheme, new coaching staff. Have to wait until after the first few games of this upcoming year to judge him again.

Otherwise, every QB sucks except Brady. He was the only one left standing.
He's been below average for a number of years now.
Rebuilding teams use aging QBs as stopgap. Dalton fits the stopgap role.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been below average for a number of years now.
Rebuilding teams use aging QBs as stopgap. Dalton fits the stopgap role.

Kenny Anderson on how a change of staff accelerated his career trajectory...

“Everything was different,” Anderson told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “How we called the formations, how we called routes, how we called protections. It forced me to get back into the book. Took nothing for granted. It was rejuvenation for me.

Anderson experienced this change after playing with the Bengals for nine seasons. He had experienced quite a bit of success up to that point, throwing 131 touchdowns and repping a winning record with the Bengals. Anderson was 0-2 in the playoffs and coming off two losing seasons when the Bengals made the switch to Lindy Infante as offensive coordinator.

“We did a lot of option routes where the receivers had a lot of different things,” Anderson said. “In ’80, at the end of the year we were getting better and, of course it, all clicked in ’81. We were kind of one of the first ones to do the quarterback bootlegs. The out-of-pockets. The nakeds. Whatever you want to call them. We had a lot of success with it. Lindy was an innovator.”

Anderson’s career got a huge burst of adrenaline as he led the Bengals to a 19-6 record over two seasons as well as a Super Bowl appearance. Change can easily have that impact on players. When doing roughly the same thing year after year, people have a tendency to get lackadaisical in their approach. Anderson can see the parallels in Dalton and his own situations. That’s especially true when it comes to the offensive coordinator leading the charge.

Kenny Anderson's Career Numbers in 16 seasons:

91-81 with a 59.3 Completion percent, 32,838 yards, 197 TD's and 160 INT's.

Dalton has been with the Bengals for 8 seasons:

68-50-2 with a 62.8% completion percentage, 28,100 yards with 188 TDs / 104 INT's.

That would be an average season of:

8.5 wins - 6.25 losses, 3512 yards, 23.5 TDs and 13 INT's.

That is better than Anderson did before Gregg and Infante took over the staff and turned Anderson into a fringe HOF QB. Am I thinking that will happen with Dalton? No, not really. However, I can see improvement in Dalton's game, and improvement in his average season is not a bad QB at all:

9 to 10 win type of season, with 3800-4000 yards, 24-28 TDs, maybe 10-12 INT's. That is a good QB. It is no Manning, Rogers or Brady, but that is still a good QB in the NFL, even in this era of football that favors the offense.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Anderson on how a change of staff accelerated his career trajectory...

“Everything was different,” Anderson told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “How we called the formations, how we called routes, how we called protections. It forced me to get back into the book. Took nothing for granted. It was rejuvenation for me.

Anderson experienced this change after playing with the Bengals for nine seasons. He had experienced quite a bit of success up to that point, throwing 131 touchdowns and repping a winning record with the Bengals. Anderson was 0-2 in the playoffs and coming off two losing seasons when the Bengals made the switch to Lindy Infante as offensive coordinator.

“We did a lot of option routes where the receivers had a lot of different things,” Anderson said. “In ’80, at the end of the year we were getting better and, of course it, all clicked in ’81. We were kind of one of the first ones to do the quarterback bootlegs. The out-of-pockets. The nakeds. Whatever you want to call them. We had a lot of success with it. Lindy was an innovator.”

Anderson’s career got a huge burst of adrenaline as he led the Bengals to a 19-6 record over two seasons as well as a Super Bowl appearance. Change can easily have that impact on players. When doing roughly the same thing year after year, people have a tendency to get lackadaisical in their approach. Anderson can see the parallels in Dalton and his own situations. That’s especially true when it comes to the offensive coordinator leading the charge.

Kenny Anderson's Career Numbers in 16 seasons:

91-81 with a 59.3 Completion percent, 32,838 yards, 197 TD's and 160 INT's.

Dalton has been with the Bengals for 8 seasons:

68-50-2 with a 62.8% completion percentage, 28,100 yards with 188 TDs / 104 INT's.

That would be an average season of:

8.5 wins - 6.25 losses, 3512 yards, 23.5 TDs and 13 INT's.

That is better than Anderson did before Gregg and Infante took over the staff and turned Anderson into a fringe HOF QB. Am I thinking that will happen with Dalton? No, not really. However, I can see improvement in Dalton's game, and improvement in his average season is not a bad QB at all:

9 to 10 win type of season, with 3800-4000 yards, 24-28 TDs, maybe 10-12 INT's. That is a good QB. It is no Manning, Rogers or Brady, but that is still a good QB in the NFL, even in this era of football that favors the offense.
Dalton's career completion % puts him at 27 in 2018. I randomly compared Anderson's career completion % to 1982 and his % would be put him at 8 in that year.

Comparing QBs today to those who played 20+ years ago is not feasible. The game has changed too much.

Magically planting Dalton into the NFL in Anderson's days he'd be looked at as an all time great, comparing him against his peers he's a serviceable QB, nothing more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton's career completion % puts him at 27 in 2018. I randomly compared Anderson's career completion % to 1982 and his % would be put him at 8 in that year.

Comparing QBs today to those who played 20+ years ago is not feasible. The game has changed too much.

Magically planting Dalton into the NFL in Anderson's days he'd be looked at as an all time great, comparing him against his peers he's a serviceable QB, nothing more.

Dalton was on pace for 3600 yards passing and 30+ TD's last year. His oline struggled to protect him, his top receiving threats were injured most the year and the defense was historically bad.

I don't think people give Dalton quite enough credit for what he has done. I don't think he is a great, but I don't think he is just "average at best".

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, I really don't quite where to begin? This is very overwhelming. I will get back with you after I have thoroughly digested all of this! Thanks for all the calls, texts, and nice emails that many of you have sent me regarding the 2019 draft! Again, I'll comment more after I can better settle my emotions!!!!!!!!

NO class:

No

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton was on pace for 3600 yards passing and 30+ TD's last year. His oline struggled to protect him, his top receiving threats were injured most the year and the defense was historically bad.

I don't think people give Dalton quite enough credit for what he has done. I don't think he is a great, but I don't think he is just "average at best".

3600 yards would put him around #20. 30 TDs would put him around #9 but he was also on pace for 16 INTs tying him at #1.

IMO in an era of inflated QB numbers Dalton is Average at best.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3600 yards would put him around #20. 30 TDs would put him around #9 but he was also on pace for 16 INTs tying him at #1.

IMO in an era of inflated QB numbers Dalton is Average at best.

Yup his time as a starter in the NFL is coming to a end shortly. As stated before the rookie will get a chance once the Bengals are eliminated from making the playoffs. If he doesn't look good they get draft a QB in the first next year.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has been postponed until future notice. Thank you for all of your responses!
Staff