• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did McCaffery actually break Sanders record?

Did christian McCaffery actually break Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders scored 39 TDs....McCaffery scored 13...Are we seriously going to discuss this?

Why wouldn't we? Scoring touchdowns isn't the be all, end all. Stanford has a short yardage back that they used when they were inside the 5 yard line.

It's similar to when USC had Reggie Bush and Lendale White. Over the course of their careers, Bush scored 41 touchdowns and White scored 57.

The year Reggie won the Heisman, he scored 18 touchdowns to Whites 26.

However, over the course of their careers, Reggie rushed for more yards, had more receiving yards and more return yards and even threw a touchdown pass.

Are we saying that Lendale was better than Reggie because he scored more touchdowns?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christian McCaffrey is also a true Sophomore. He is 19 years old right now.
Curious, but how old was Sanders when he set that record? Was it in his soph season? Was he a senior?
This kid won't be old enough to legally buy a drink for more than a year and a half and is doing this well.

Keep trying to knock the kid down if you like. He's still an incredible athlete that is still tearing up your team, my team, and pretty much everyone he faces and is only likely to get better next year. That's the scary part.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are coming off like someone with a preconceived agenda. You don't like the kid or his team and therefore are flat out making up reasons to diminish his Heisman candidacy. Calling him names like Beiber or whatever really doesn't make you look any better, just a lot more bitter.

It is a fact that everything before the bowls is considered part of the season. This isn't a matter of debate. Every record takes in those CCG's. They have, and they do. You may not like it, but that's how it is.

It is a fact that McCaffrey broke the single season record for all purpose yards. Yes, it is also a fact that it was in more total games. No one denies that.

I'd also point out he did this in the era of big passing and much tougher defenses. With the spread offenses and hurry up no huddle garbage flying everywhere defenses have matured and have had to adapt far more than they did in Sanders era. The game itself has changed considerably. Which record is more impressive? That is a matter of opinion and yours is clearly understood. It's not a universal truth.
than that's you're opinion. I'm providing facts and numbers on a topic that brings up a very legitimate question. I've also stated several comparisons . If my agenda is trying to determine how legitimate a record is based on stats and the content of the original record then I'm guilty. But this is not a troll thread if that's the impression you're getting. With the manner in which the record was deemed broken and all the variables involving it. It's a very legitimate topic and great debate. Very controversial record with a lot of questions around it that bring up a ton of quality converation. The stats are circumstances are very intriguing in regards to whether or not this record can honestly be considered as being broken

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
than that's you're opinion. I'm providing facts and numbers on a topic that brings up a very legitimate question. I've also stated several comparisons . If my agenda is trying to determine how legitimate a record is based on stats and the content of the original record then I'm guilty. But this is not a troll thread if that's the impression you're getting. With the manner in which the record was deemed broken and all the variables involving it. It's a very legitimate topic and great debate. Very controversial record with a lot of questions around it that bring up a ton of quality converation. The stats are circumstances are very intriguing in regards to whether or not this record can honestly be considered as being broken
You spent two full days calling him beiber and a flurry of other names and now want to appear to be having a serious and non biased discussion on the same kid? :L

Sorry, doesn't work like that. You already showed your true colors on this topic and that color is hemorrhoidal red.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious, but how old was Sanders when he set that record? Was it in his soph season? Was he a senior?
This kid won't be old enough to legally buy a drink for more than a year and a half and is doing this well.

Keep trying to knock the kid down if you like. He's still an incredible athlete that is still tearing up your team, my team, and pretty much everyone he faces and is only likely to get better next year. That's the scary part.
I don't see how age factors in. I think the keys to determining as to whether the record being deemed broken as being legit. Focus around the amount of games required to surpass it, the fact that sanders stats were derived based on regular season totals, that McCaffery did not surpass it without the aid of an optional CCG which is not a regular season scheduled game as sanders games were and the regular season game total differential. Even simply removing the non regular season CCG puts McCaffery short of Sanders with the extra regular season game on hand. The stats and method in which it was deemed broken are very questionable and a very big factor as to whether or not it can actually be considered as legitimately broken

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to talk about facts.

Is it, or is it not a fact that no other football player in D1 has accumulated this many yards over a season?
You have to try and rewrite what the definition of a season is to counter it. The facts show that he played in a 13 game season.

How many teams have Hawaii on the road each year and take advantage of having 13 regular season games because of the Hawaii travel rule? Those teams could end up with 14 games in a season if they make their CCG. That's college football.

The facts are the facts and that's that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Henry record I felt the same and then thinking about it like when baseball expanded how many games they played, adding an * seems stupid. Adding in a conference championship game does seem wrong because that is not the regular season so I do not agree with that. But the regular season is the regular season, whether it be 11 or 12 games.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how age factors in. I think the keys to determining as to whether the record being deemed broken as being legit. Focus around the amount of games required to surpass it, the fact that sanders stats were derived based on regular season totals, that McCaffery did not surpass it without the aid of an optional CCG which is not a regular season scheduled game as sanders games were and the regular season game total differential. Even simply removing the non regular season CCG puts McCaffery short of Sanders with the extra regular season game on hand. The stats and method in which it was deemed broken are very questionable and a very big factor as to whether or not it can actually be considered as legitimately broken
:L
Sanders played in more games than the person who's record he broke too. There were 10 games at one point. I still remember 9. Look back at history and find years they played 7. And yet records still fall. They do not carry an * or require some extra words.

This is a fact.

McCaffrey now holds the most all purpose yards for a season. And some day someone might break it having played in 14 games. It will still count whether or not you like it.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did it take Henry more games to break Walker's record? I honestly don't know, if so does that mean he holds the record or not Clarkson?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Barry was a junior

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spent two full days calling him beiber and a flurry of other names and now want to appear to be having a serious and non biased discussion on the same kid? :L

Sorry, doesn't work like that. You already showed your true colors on this topic and that color is hemorrhoidal red.
Yes I was being a wise ass in that thread. But this is an actual debate thread. In which I have not called him bieber once. This is a discussion thread based on a very legitimate topic and based on facts. There's a major difference between the two and they are both very separate threads. I would like to keep this conversation as a real debate and away from the direction of trolling or opinions based on posters. And in the proper direction of a college football discussion based solely on the facts and opinions surrounding the actual topic and information provided

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While clarkson is failing all over himself, it'd be interesting to hear from the other three who are saying he didn't break the record.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I was being a wise ass in that thread. But this is an actual debate thread. In which I have not called him bieber once. This is a discussion thread based on a very legitimate topic and based on facts. There's a major difference between the two and they are both very separate threads. I would like to keep this conversation as a real debate and away from the direction of trolling or opinions based on posters. And in the proper direction of a college football discussion based solely on the facts and opinions surrounding the actual topic and information provided
This is not based on facts, if it were, you'd quit trying to deny them...

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not controversial at all. You've had how many people on this thread tell you that we know Barry only had 11 games and McCaffrey has had 13. We've said over and over that you're arguing against the facts. The facts are plain and simple: the NCAA counts these games in the stats today but they did not then and it doesn't matter if you like it, the facts can't be changed. I mean you say it's not personal, that it's not about your sore butt, but you sit here and say the facts aren't facts and your opinion is. What other conclusion should we come to other than you're trolling?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Henry record I felt the same and then thinking about it like when baseball expanded how many games they played, adding an * seems stupid. Adding in a conference championship game does seem wrong because that is not the regular season so I do not agree with that. But the regular season is the regular season, whether it be 11 or 12 games.

the record isn't regular season, it's season, and the post-season is part of it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did it take Henry more games to break Walker's record? I honestly don't know, if so does that mean he holds the record or not Clarkson?

they played 11 games in the 80s. They didn't count bowls. Henry broke Herschel's record and it took him 13 games to do it. Henry is such a loser!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is not about Henry completely different topic. I would like a real discussion about the record and what I stated earlier. I find the stats, precedent set forth in the manner the original record was set, the extra games and the fact that it was "surpassed" in a non scheduled regular season game as sanders was. To be a very stimulating topic of discussion. Can we please keep this to an actual debate please. I would really like to here cases made for both sides based in the Information provided and standards set forth in the original record. It's a very strong topic with a lot of great potential to actually debate and discuss in regards to CFB . I think we can all agree we love the sport. And yeah while troll threads can be fun if done right. I really enjoy an actual legit debate as Adan if the sport and its history. This thread is not about Henry or the heisman :suds:

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say you should embrace the facts then. The actual facts, not your facts. You know you wouldn't be getting so much grief if you weren't trying to say the actual facts are not the facts.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is not about Henry completely different topic. I would like a real discussion about the record and what I stated earlier. I find the stats, precedent set forth in the manner the original record was set, the extra games and the fact that it was "surpassed" in a non scheduled regular season game as sanders was. To be a very stimulating topic of discussion. Can we please keep this to an actual debate please. I would really like to here cases made for both sides based in the Information provided and standards set forth in the original record. It's a very strong topic with a lot of great potential to actually debate and discuss in regards to CFB . I think we can all agree we love the sport. And yeah while troll threads can be fun if done right. I really enjoy an actual legit debate as Adan if the sport and its history. This thread is not about Henry or the heisman :suds:

The Henry stat and the McCaffrey stat is the exact same. They broke records in 13 games that players who played 11 games held.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you should embrace the facts then. The actual facts, not your facts. You know you wouldn't be getting so much grief if you weren't trying to say the actual facts are not the facts.
What do you consider facts? Going off of what was set forth in the original record. What has been provided to justify McCaffery breaking the record has a lot of grey areas. The stats provided in black and white are very telling. Do you consider a non scheduled CCG as regular season. Based in the fact the original record is based only on scheduled regular season games?