• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Devin Hester Signs with Atlanta

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester has signed a 3 year deal with the Falcons. Terms are not disclosed at this time.

I'm REALLY interested to see what he go. 3 years sounds like a VERY long time for a 31 year old KR who has no other position. The Falcons have said they are looking to "involve him in more"- whatever that means.

Good for him... I'm guessing it's a deal that is easy to get out of after the first year... With the way the NFL is going- I don't see a KR being that important. It's not going to be very fun watching him set the record in another uniform.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are advertising him as a wide receiver and kick returner.

Personally, I think Hester was doing well as a receiver, not used properly by the bears, but when the fastest guy on the field is jumping to catch passes, his feet are not on the ground to beat anybody. His hands were greatly improved, he can do great things with atlanta, funny, where Deion Sanders played.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him.

Heh and on a side note, they also signed Gabe Carimi, hehehe.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester should still be a threat as a returner, but as a WR he is sub par. I wonder if he actually finishes the three years at ATL.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least it wasn't Green Bay...still in the NFC tho damnit

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I think Hester was doing well as a receiver, not used properly by the bears, but when the fastest guy on the field is jumping to catch passes, his feet are not on the ground to beat anybody. His hands were greatly improved, he can do great things with atlanta, funny, where Deion Sanders played.

The Bears LITERALLY attempted to use Devin Hester in every fathomable way possible as a receiver. Give me a freaking break.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree but at the same time disagree w/ your comments.
I really don't know what was asked of him in the Martz system . But Jay found him many a times. I recall him making Reavis look stupid for TD in 1 game vs the Jets. Had a Great catch vs Dallas ( Actually 2) for TDs.
But the Tice system seemed to fuck him up ( maybe forever, who knows). He & Jay were never on the same page. Hence his asking to be a STer only.
I think he has WR ability, only depending on what type of O system he has to learn.
I think he can fair well w/designed plays . But if he has to read & react to what a D is doing , not so well.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested to see how his contract compares to Ted Ginn. I would be surprised if he got more $$$ than Ginn.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree but at the same time disagree w/ your comments.
I really don't know what was asked of him in the Martz system . But Jay found him many a times. I recall him making Reavis look stupid for TD in 1 game vs the Jets. Had a Great catch vs Dallas ( Actually 2) for TDs.
But the Tice system seemed to fuck him up ( maybe forever, who knows). He & Jay were never on the same page. Hence his asking to be a STer only.
I think he has WR ability, only depending on what type of O system he has to learn.
I think he can fair well w/designed plays . But if he has to read & react to what a D is doing , not so well.

I dont think he ever asked to be a STer only, he had 10 million reasons to stick to being a receiver, Trestman came in and stated he would not be involved in the offense anymore.

I always thought using him on swing passes from the backfield would be a better way to use his speed and sorry if I just remember him making acrobatic catches.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester was given Multiple chances in what- 3 different offensive coordinators schemes- Turner, Martz, Tice... All tried to put him on offense. What I remember most was Jay yelling and pointing at spots on the field where Hester was supposed to line up. I saw LOTS of bad routes and routes he stopped short on or turned the wrong way. He's a good guy- but not too bright. He just doesn't have the football smarts to read defenses on the fly. Give him the ball and tell him "GO" and he can excel. Tell him to "read" a DB coverage while in play or at the line and he was very confused. As a former QB...this would have frustrated me to all hell too. If I think you're going to cut at 10 yards and I throw the ball there, but you cut at 8 yards or round off your route or cut at 12 yards...that ball is likely picked off- And I'm blamed for it. I would be pissed too.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears also had to justify his Record HIGH contract for a Kick Returner. At the time. They repeatedly said he was a "#1" WR... when he clearly wasn't.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much we'll actually use him as a WR. He'd be a 4th behind Jones, Roddy and Harry. I hope he will still be dangerous as a kick returner. Was always a fan of his on your team, even have his Bears SB edition jersey! Hope he does well with us

C

cubzzzfanincali

I hope you keep posting on here, because I will never get sick of your avatar.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears also had to justify his Record HIGH contract for a Kick Returner. At the time. They repeatedly said he was a "#1" WR... when he clearly wasn't.

I dont think they ever said he was a number 1. He would earn a 10 million dollar bonus if he ended up top 5 in some receiver statistics. He got the deal when we just had rasheed davis, earl bennet, johnny knox and aromashadu as our receivers in 2010. Next year they got alligator arms roy williams.

its 6 of one half dozen of the other whether jay was wrong or hester was wrong. all he was supposed to do was line up in the slot and sprint down field, get him the ball in open spaces. The whining about routes is not the open spaces hester did best at. We all know Cutler picks favorites, no matter how much Leo says he wants a balanced offense. Hester could not throw and catch the ball.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder how much atlanta was willing to pay a special teams player?