• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit's lack of respect for Hill/Stackhouse

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just copy and paste my post from the Jerry Stackhouse retiring thread on the main board.

Miami Heat at Detroit Pistons Box Score, April 29, 2000 | Basketball-Reference.com

My guess the reason Detroit switched to teal in the mid-90's was to provide a more kid-friendly organization and to provide a more Great Lakes feel, as the Bad Boys era too much promoted bullies.

Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse played their prime years in a Pistons uniform, yet they get practically no appreciation from their own fans. Just because they didn't fit your team's tired Bad Boy culture doesn't mean they were soft or weren't great players. Hill was the piece that got you Ben Wallace. Stackhouse was the piece that got you Rip Hamilton. Stackhouse got you your first Playoff series win since the Bad Boys era and before Chauncey, Rip, Prince, or Rasheed arrived.

The 1999-2000 Pistons was basically Hill and Stackhouse taking turns going one-on-one, as the two avaraged close to a combined 50 points per game with practically no supporting case. Grant Hill in his younger days was a player who thrived at making others better. Even though his scoring was up that year, he wasn't as effective as a player overall.

I remember watching Game 3 of your first round matchup against the Heat that year. I was only 12 years old at the time, but it turns out I have quite a memory. Back then, I actually thought the teal were Detroit's primary colors.:lol:
Hill's ankle injury became too severe to the point he was holding the team back, so he sat out this game. I remember seeing signage in Palace stands begging him to re-sign with the team. People in Detroit hated the Hill trade at the time, yet three years later you lauded it as the greatest trade ever. Hypocrisy perhaps? I'd say so...

Of course, I was rooting for the Pistons to win the game. Miami's defense was suffocating. The game was competitive until the Heat started to pull away late in the 3rd quarter. No one on the Pistons could buy a perimeter shot this game. Stackhouse I remember made a nifty and-one to the basket with three guys on him. Knowing how cocky Pat Riley was/is, he probably told his team "If he makes that shot again, shake his hand." Stackhouse had a hard-earned 25 points that day, but no one else on Detroit was relevant enough for them to win.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you think fans didn't appreciate hill or Stackhouse. I still have both of their jerseys and loved both of them.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems like the fans in Michigan like to mock the so-called "Teal Era" and don't appreciate all the great talent they had during those years...

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just seems like the fans in Michigan like to mock the so-called "Teal Era" and don't appreciate all the great talent they had during those years...

They had two great talents: Hill and Stackhouse. Still, even playing together, what did they do? First round outs. What is to celebrate? We appreciate their talent and know that they played hard, but they didn't bring the team up with them. Maybe in Indiana making the playoffs is worth celebrating, but for the Pistons if you have two stars and are not going deep in the playoffs it is an era of disappointment (on top of horrible unis).

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Pacers were a top contender in the East from 1994-2000 when Reggie was around. Don't see your "logic" there. Maybe your team would finally get out of the cellar if you thought a little more like the teal teams. Just saying. League is soft these days and you just can't win with physicality.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Pacers were a top contender in the East from 1994-2000 when Reggie was around. Don't see your "logic" there. Maybe your team would finally get out of the cellar if you thought a little more like the teal teams. Just saying. League is soft these days and you just can't win with physicality.

My logic is, great for you, Indiana is happy being a "top contender". How many banners have they hung? No, not those banners; the ones that come with rings. That is what Detroit is happy with, not the teal teams being able to make the playoffs. I mean, are we supposed to jump up and down because we had some good players but nothing to show for it? Give me some hardware.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who is the high school junior in your avi anyhow?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing Joe D did when he was hired.... Got rid of that kid friendly teal bs and the team wore Red the rest of the year. I was a kid and I hated the teal. I don't know any Pistons fans that don't like Stack or Hill. Things worked out well by parting ways with them, but it's not like they were poorly received when they played at The Palace as opponents.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in Stackhouse's case.. His departure led to the 2000s era contending pistons teams.. He was great before then though.. Just bad timing for him..

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had two great talents: Hill and Stackhouse. Still, even playing together, what did they do? First round outs. What is to celebrate? We appreciate their talent and know that they played hard, but they didn't bring the team up with them. Maybe in Indiana making the playoffs is worth celebrating, but for the Pistons if you have two stars and are not going deep in the playoffs it is an era of disappointment (on top of horrible unis).

True, but they never really had much chance to build on it, did they?

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing Joe D did when he was hired.... Got rid of that kid friendly teal bs and the team wore Red the rest of the year. I was a kid and I hated the teal. I don't know any Pistons fans that don't like Stack or Hill. Things worked out well by parting ways with them, but it's not like they were poorly received when they played at The Palace as opponents.

True.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My logic is, great for you, Indiana is happy being a "top contender". How many banners have they hung? No, not those banners; the ones that come with rings. That is what Detroit is happy with, not the teal teams being able to make the playoffs. I mean, are we supposed to jump up and down because we had some good players but nothing to show for it? Give me some hardware.

I am just responding to state my love for "Maggot Brain" and Funkadelic, Parliament and anything realted to George Clinton!