• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Delmonico optioned to AAA - Palka next?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In lieu of what will be the obvious in that Eloy will break camp with the Sox this week, Delmonico found himself to be the odd man out. But there still may be one too many OFs and if another has to go, it's looking more and more like Palka will be the one.

After a surprisingly solid offensive output from him last season, including a team leading 26 HRs, his ST performance has been gawd-awful. This is a guy who needed to show that his bat alone could keep him on the roster, as he's not exactly a defensive artist out on the field. I think the writing on the wall for him began when the Sox signed Alonzo. That made Abreu the candidate for being the primary DH, which was really the only spot fit for Palka. I just don't see him getting the needed ABs to make a difference, altho he proved to be one hell of a pinch hitter. Does our roster have the luxury of carrying a player whose primary function is that of a PH?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't like the idea of a guy having a rookie season like palka's then not being given the opportunity to improve.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't like the idea of a guy having a rookie season like palka's then not being given the opportunity to improve.
Normally, I wouldn't argue with that. To the contrary, Palka ended up becoming one of my favorite players last year. Ya can't simply flip off 26 dingers, especially when his at-bat total didn't equate to a full season. But Hahn and co in essence has probably signed him off with the acquisitions of Alonzo and Jay. Palka needed to have a whale of a Spring to assure his spot of the roster. Sadly, he's done just the opposite. It remains to be seen as to whether or not he gets cut, but if I was betting on the outcome, my money would go to him being sent down.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we now know the bullpen:

RHP:
Colome
Herrera
Jones
Burr
Covey

LHP:
Fry
Frare
Banuelos

With both Covey and Banuelos, who were supposedly early candidates for the 5th starter spot and now both listed in the BP, does this mean the Sox are going to bring on aged vet Ervin Santana? Maybe that's a TBD, maybe the Sox are initially going with just four starters, as is often the case in the first few weeks of the season when there are more days off and usually any given number of cancelled games due to bad weather.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I look at the early part of the schedule, the more I'm convinced that the Sox will only go with 4 starters and 12 pitchers in total, at least until we have our first stretch of at least 5 consecutive games, which doesn't come about until our matchup against the Mariners on April 6th. That's the start of those 5 straight games.

Prior to that, beginning on opening day, we play 6 games in 9 days - and it's assuming there are no cancellations during this period. There is simply no need for a 5 man rotation at this juncture. So if we break camp with 12 pitchers, that should open up a spot for Palka. How much of an opportunity they'd give him remains to be seen, but at least he'd have a shot at proving he belongs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palka showed 30+ HR potential last year... easy. I hope we find a spot for him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're preaching to the choir. My posts on this matter haven't been intended as a wish for Palka to not make the roster. I'm simply going by the numbers, and based on going with only 12 positional players, he looks to be the odd man out. But as I previously alluded, I think/hope there's an opportunity for Danny to break camp with the Sox, especially if they only go with 12 pitchers to start the season. Just have to wait and see.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue who half of these guys are

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In lieu of Jay's injury I'm not at all surprised to see Palka making the roster - and he may have made it even if Jay wasn't injured. Perhaps a bit more surprising is seeing Ryan Cordell making the cut as well. Good for him.