• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive coordinators reportedly don't think Rob Gronkowski is threat anymore

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see I guess...

There was a time when Rob Gronkowski was considered one of the best receiving threats in the NFL and a matchup nightmare for any defense.

But, after a year away from the game and now being 31 years old, that doesn't appear to be the case -- at least according to a few defensive coordinators ESPN's Dianna Russini spoke to.

“…In terms of concern for him being a threat — from what I can gather in my conversations — it’s not a high priority,” Russini said on ESPN’s Get Up. Thursday. “They know that he’s vertical, he’s long. He’s going to run those seams.”

As for Brady, it doesn't seem like they feel there's as big of a threat there as in the past.

“It’s all about hitting him,” Russini said. “It’s all about getting him on the ground. He is not as dynamic in the pocket anymore. In terms of them as a duo, yes, they are still going to be a threat. But this is not the Tom Brady, the Rob Gronkowski we’ve seen in years past, according to defensive coordinators I’ve talked to.”

Tampa Bay currently has the fifth-best odds to win the Super Bowl in the league.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gronk will be more effective as a blocking TE than being a big threat in tge passing game. Having said that, the Bucs have plenty of weapons but I have doubts the Oline can keep Brady upright or give him enough time in Arians system to warrant the hype they are getting. I wouldn't be surprised if Brady falls off the proverbial QB cliff.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gronk will be more effective as a blocking TE than being a big threat in tge passing game. Having said that, the Bucs have plenty of weapons but I have doubts the Oline can keep Brady upright or give him enough time in Arians system to warrant the hype they are getting. I wouldn't be surprised if Brady falls off the proverbial QB cliff.
can gronk gain back that physical bulk to be as effective as a blocker.
Yeah I know he can hit the weights & get just as strong again, but that doesnt always mean as powerful.
dont really know how to explain what I am thinking.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know he can hit the weights & get just as strong again, but that doesnt always mean as powerful.

So you're saying size does matter?

:laugh3:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My thoughts on the Brady/Gronk situation mirror yours with regards to that awful offensive line. There is certainly options for the QB to throw to, but of lack of protection combined with an offense predicated on a downfield passing game would be tough on Brady.

If Arians modifies his offense to create more of a short passing attack that Brady has thrived in in the past he may very well have a great year. If not, I don't like their chances unless that O-line miraculously improves.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get what you are saying. I don't know for sure what Gronk will bring to the table. I just don't see him being as involved in the passing game with so many better options on that team.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that he regularly pulls a linebacker, or even safety into coverage for the first few games, just as a decoy. By the time Gronk is in decent playing shape, he could then be a threat to actually catch the ball. Tampa has plenty of competent receiving options already; the problem previously was the dummy who threw the ball to the other team too much.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hit the weights? He'll only gain that weight/muscle combo but taking PEDs...again...

Personally I think Gronk has become a joke and a bad one at that

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes playing 25+ lbs lighter
a year off
im not sure how effective he will be as a blocker (the way he was used well here) as a smaller TE.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see I guess...

There was a time when Rob Gronkowski was considered one of the best receiving threats in the NFL and a matchup nightmare for any defense.

But, after a year away from the game and now being 31 years old, that doesn't appear to be the case -- at least according to a few defensive coordinators ESPN's Dianna Russini spoke to.

“…In terms of concern for him being a threat — from what I can gather in my conversations — it’s not a high priority,” Russini said on ESPN’s Get Up. Thursday. “They know that he’s vertical, he’s long. He’s going to run those seams.”

As for Brady, it doesn't seem like they feel there's as big of a threat there as in the past.

“It’s all about hitting him,” Russini said. “It’s all about getting him on the ground. He is not as dynamic in the pocket anymore. In terms of them as a duo, yes, they are still going to be a threat. But this is not the Tom Brady, the Rob Gronkowski we’ve seen in years past, according to defensive coordinators I’ve talked to.”

Tampa Bay currently has the fifth-best odds to win the Super Bowl in the league.

Surface...I think TB will be better than LY, but I'm not that confident in their DEF to be the 5th best odds to win the SB.

Gronk is going to make some plays, but to expect him to be a 1000 yd producer with 20 TDs on this team imo is asking too much.

Brady...that's true of any QB, hit them enough times and things will start to go your way.

Bucs open against some good DEFs...I can see them starting slow (no OTAs, etc.) and coming on at the end of the season.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chiefs defense from the AFCCG 17 months ago disagrees

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes playing 25+ lbs lighter
a year off
im not sure how effective he will be as a blocker (the way he was used well here) as a smaller TE.
I agree that the weight loss wil play a factor but he won't be much of a threat in the passing game and I think he always had good technique. Obviously won't be what he was before. Honestly, I think he should have stayed retired and awaited the gold jacket but I guess he wants to give it a try.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll see I guess...

Whats your thoughts? Dynamic duo, or has been?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the weight loss wil play a factor but he won't be much of a threat in the passing game and I think he always had good technique. Obviously won't be what he was before. Honestly, I think he should have stayed retired and awaited the gold jacket but I guess he wants to give it a try.

Much like CLE last yr...the Bucs look really good on paper at a lot of positions....especially on OFC. You add in the name value of Brady and maybe Gronk just wanted to give it one more shot...but I'm with you in thinking he won't be a huge piece of the OFC...500-600 yds, 4-6 TDs...my guess.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Gronk gets enough attention