• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deep Dynasty League Trade

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a very deep dynasty league with a max of three years a player can stay on your team (A, B, C contracts). I have been offered Ryu ($11A) for Anthony Rizzo ($3B). My SP is as follows:

Happ ($5A), McAlister ($1A), Sabathia ($31C), Gio ($10C), Hellickson ($3C), Anibal Sanchez ($4C), Lynn ($2B), Miley ($2B), Pettitte ($2B), Brett Anderson ($2B), Fiers ($2B) Matt Moore ($2B) Scherzer ($17C), Haren ($14C)

My 1B options are Prince Fielder ($40C), Freddie Freeman ($3C), Michael Cuddyer ($6C)

Thoughts on this deal?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to help, but I think the only person who could would be someone who has seen Ryu pitch A LOT, like a Dodger pitching coach, or someone of knowledge who saw him in Korea. By all accounts, he is and will be a fine MLB pitcher, but how good I think is mostly anyones guess at this point.

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate that feedback. I feel like he should be a pretty solid SP going forward, especially in the Dodger line-up. Rizzo has a ton of potential, but I don't see many RBI opportunities coming for him in that line-up, so I'm entertaining the thought of trading him

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you Big D.

I am guessing that an A contract is a player that you can keep for 3 years and a B is a player you can keep for 2?

Either way, Rizzo would be a better investment than Ryu if the prices were the same. Ryu for $11 could be a good value (not guaranteed), but I don't think he will be worth significantly more than that over the next 3 years. Rizzo on the other hand is worth a lot more than $3 and is more of a sure thing. He could be a $25 player by the time his contract is up. I just don't see that upside with Ryu.

Good luck

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tlance, yes you are correct. I'll have Rizzo for this year and next year (he'll be $4C next year). Ryu would be a $13B contract next year. We have a set increase in salary based on their current salary. I appreciate the feedback. I'm mainly annoyed with Haren, so was looking to do something with my SP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. This is tough. You clearly need Ryu more than you need Rizzo, but I think you could get a lot more in return for him. Rizzo for $4 next year is a huge bargain.

You might be better of targeting a C contract player who can help you now, but who is a safer bet to produce. I would think that you might be able to get a 1 year player on the level of a Sabathia or Cliff Lee if the circumstance was right. Rizzo for $4 is a tremendous deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure you want to part with Rizzo. You lose all your 1B after this year, and Rizzo would sure be nice for you to have next year. You can certainly spare him this year with Fielder and Freeman, though. What 1B are going to be available in the draft next year? Will you be able to re-bid on Fielder and Freeman?

Ryu is a HUGE ? and is not cheap at $11.

Does Rizzo become a $3/A for his new team, or does he remain a $3/B after the trade?

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, tlance.

calsnowskier, some current 'C' contract 1B include Butler, Votto, Fielder, and Freeman (yes, I'd be able to re-bid on both). Rizzo would remain a $3B if traded. I guess the more I look at it, there wouldn't be that many 1B to re-bid on for next year

See, glad I joined this forum. It's helping me sort things out!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But who would need 1B?

Maybe you would only be bidding with 1 or 2 other guys for the services of Votto or Fielder.

If you lose out on the first, you may be able to get the other for a song. Not sure I would want to go much higher than 30 or 35 for Prince next year, but Votto would probably be fine at 35-40. First nominate Prince and try to get him at 30. If t goes too high, let him go and try to snag Votto for <40...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm correct then at the end of the year you lose Sabathia (31), Gio (10), Hellickson (3) and Sanchez (4) along with Fielder (40) and Freeman (3). That's 4 pitchers, 2 first baseman and $91 dollars.

The question I have is, what other 1st basemen are going to be available next year?
I only know what I've read about Ryu, but everything I've seen says he should be good and I'm personally high on him (but just like with any rookie, there is a risk). He could live up to that $11 contract. Rizzo on the other hand looked like he was primed for a breakout last year, but this year not so much and for this year he's sitting behind Fielder & Freeman.

With the money you'll have next year and the pitchers you'll be losing, I'd rather invest in a pitcher now and spend that extra money on a stud 1st basemen (if there are a few available) then go into next year hoping Rizzo steps forward and overpay for whatever pitchers are available.

Granted I might be comfortable with a different pitcher than Ryu, someone with a track record and established record, so maybe try trading Rizzo for a different pitcher if you can, but if you can't I might take the chance on Ryu as I think he'll give you more this year and next than Rizzo will.

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reverend Jim, that's correct, I will be losing those players (but you forgot Scherzer too :) ). Our league does allow us to "re-sign" two expiring contracts ('C' contracts) for a price that's based on their rank at the end of the season). For example, if Freeman finishes ranked in the Top 25, I can resign him for $10 extra, so his 2014 price would be $13.

Some current top 'C' contract 1B are Butler, Votto, Fielder, and Freeman (and yes, I'd be able to re-bid on Fielder and Freeman). There are also some big 'A' contract 1B and I don't see teams "re-signing" them for next year (ie: Pujols is a $45A this year; next year he will be a $50B).

I think $11 for Ryu is a pretty solid price for a SP that has shown pretty well this season (granted, it's only been three starts), but I've also read a ton about how good he is, etc.

I appreciate all the feedback. Glad we can discuss this stuff.

Thanks!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, is this a league where you have no bench?? If so then I would rather have Ryu than Rizzo... If you do have a bench then i woud rather have Rizzo than RYu

theairuphere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing how much can change in a week regarding a trade like this. I ended up rejected the original offer and just let things go. Yesterday he brings it back up with some new additions:

Rizzo ($3B) and J-Hamilton ($39A) for Stanton ($29C) and Arenado ($1A).

Thanks for all your feedback on this thread!