• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Day 1 List Of NHL Free Agent Signings

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you need the players to want to play for your team, but if I'm Edmonton there are 2 former Devils I'd be all about, Volchenkov and Ryan Carter. Volchenkov obviously would upgrade the D, add a physical presence and help out the goaltending immensely. Ryan Carter on the 4th line does everything you'd want. Hustles on every play, has enough skill that he's not dead weight in the offensive zone, would be a great influence on the younger guys.

I may be wrong but Volchenkov has the speed of a 3-wheeled Fiat Uno, no? Those Western teams would eat him alive.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be wrong but Volchenkov has the speed of a 3-wheeled Fiat Uno, no? Those Western teams would eat him alive.

If it's a foot race, he's probably losing. On the PK he's a machine. And he can still knock people into next week from time to time.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a foot race, he's probably losing. On the PK he's a machine. And he can still knock people into next week from time to time.

Would need the right coach to utilize him in those spots, Dallas Eakins ain't that guy

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New York Rangers: Tanner Glass - 3 Years/$4.35 Million
Calgary Flames: Deryk Engelland - 3 Years/$8.7 Million
Buffalo Sabres: Andrej Meszaros - 1 Year/$4.125 Million

These guys should be on league minimum contracts if not out of the NHL entirely. How on earth did their agents manage to get 8x their value from these GMs.

Deep pockets and a need to get over the cap floor.

Even with all their spending yesterday, the Sabres are less than $1M above the floor. Taking a 1 year flyer on Meszaros (even if over-priced) doesn't hurt them at all.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even with all their spending yesterday, the Sabres are less than $1M above the floor. Taking a 1 year flyer on Meszaros (even if over-priced) doesn't hurt them at all.

Meszaros still can skate, but he's just nowhere near as fast as he was. The issue is that he won't hit. Pair him with someone with speed and he's still smart enough to make things happen.

And if the Sabres can afford it, so be it.

I would take him, but not at that money.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meszaros still can skate, but he's just nowhere near as fast as he was. The issue is that he won't hit. Pair him with someone with speed and he's still smart enough to make things happen.

And if the Sabres can afford it, so be it.

I would take him, but not at that money.

I don't think he's worth that kinda money either but it costs them nothing to do it really since that was money they HAD to spend anyhow, regardless of who got it.

And given that it's only a 1 year deal on a guy who's clearly past his prime, there shouldn't be too much backlash about it driving up prices.

He's a plug, plain and simple. Gives the young guys like Zadorov and Ristolainen - who are both gonna be studs - a chance to develop properly.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, bad money isn't that big of a deal when there's a lot of cap space and it's a one-year deal, especially when there's a decent upside to the signing.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sabres took themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes with their signings yesterday. As for the Isles, they currently have the clubhouse lead in my opinion.

I couldn't disagree more. I think the Isles will be in the running for the last playoff spot with their goaltending upgrades.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. I think the Isles will be in the running for the last playoff spot with their goaltending upgrades.

that is virtually impossible now that they have let go the greatest goaltender of all time as some have claimed in Nabakov, its humanly impossible to upgrade from him :nod:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, they are in the bug conference, so I guess anything is possible...

:bolt:

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They rely so much on that 1 line , that any substantial injury means no play offs.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rely so much on that 1 line , that any substantial injury means no play offs.

Seems this has changed dramatically with Grabo and Kulemin..

I am not sold on Halak any more, but the Isles could be very competitive and no one really got significantly better inside the division. And it was almost a coin flip last year.

Might have to worry about how much better Buffalo and FLA got, though.