• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: David And The Lions Den @ Vikings

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

here's more proof that great coverage LB should be a priority after this.

Should've been a priority this past FA period.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions Week 14 grades: Offense finally runs dry vs. Vikings

Linebackers: F
Jahlani Tavai and Christian Jones were both tagged for personal foul penalties in the first half, as the Lions’ linebacking corps fell back on bad habits. Cousins did most of his damage on Sunday on passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

That’s linebacker territory and whether it was busted coverages or missed tackles, it was the Lions’ linebacking corps that cost Detroit yardage on defense. Cousins was especially lethal on play action, which is all predicated on getting the Lions linebackers to bite. They did.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions Week 14 grades: Offense finally runs dry vs. Vikings

Coaching: D
The defense took a big enough step to keep Detroit in this game throughout the entire first half. And it’s hard to fault coaching on the offensive side of the ball, when an undrafted rookie quarterback is put in such an impossible situation and was personally responsible for a lot of the team’s failings on that side of the ball.

However, this game got out of reach at the end of the first half after the team. Head coach Matt Patricia always stresses the importance of situational football like two-minute drills, yet it has been a weakness for this team since he’s arrived. In the final two minutes of the half, the Lions managed to:

• Fail to convert a third-and-2, which would have likely burned the rest of the clock and given Detroit a serious chance at a touchdown
  • Take a 12-yard sack, pushing a chip-shot 33-yard field goal into a 45-yard field goal
  • Miss a 45-yard field goal
  • Give up a 44-yard pass with under 40 seconds to go
  • Give up a TD
While a ton of that goes on the players for failing to execute in those moments, this is becoming a habit for the team. When a team is failing to perform in crunch time, whether it’s a two-minute drill or the fourth quarter, that ultimately falls on lack of preparation, AKA coaching.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019...ts-mike-daniels-bounce-back-minnesota-vikings

That being said, what a comeback game for Mike Daniels. Last week, we were wondering why Daniels only played in 23 defensive snaps over the past two games. This week, he played more than any other defensive lineman, and did quite well:

Obviously, the injury to Da’Shawn Hand played into Daniels’ increased role; prior to Week 14, Daniels had not played more than 43 percent of the defensive snaps in any game with Detroit. He was at 73 percent on Sunday.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 14 snap counts: Mike Daniels has bounce-back game vs. Vikings

The Lions’ game plan defensively was pretty clear: Stop the run. John Atkins, Damon Harrison Sr. and A’Shawn Robinson all played more snaps than Trey Flowers. In some ways, their strategy actually worked. The Vikings averaged just 3.1 yards per carry. However, the pass rush certainly struggled—especially since there were less opportunities for Flowers to make an impact.

Defense:
Defensive end

Trey Flowers: 37 (51%) — 1 (4%)
Romeo Okwara: 33 (45%) — 8 (30%)

Defensive tackle

Mike Daniels: 53 (73%) — 4 (15%)
John Atkins: 46 (63%) — 2 (7%)
Damon Harrison Sr.: 45 (62%)
A’Shawn Robinson: 41 (56%) — 2 (7%)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 14 snap counts: Mike Daniels has bounce-back game vs. Vikings

• Perhaps the biggest surprise of the game was Amani Oruwariye not only getting the start, but completely replacing Rashaan Melvin. Melvin was active for the game, but did not play in a single snap: defensively or on special teams. At this point, it’s difficult to know whether the Lions are simply seeing what they’ve got in their fifth-round rookie or if Oruwariye has surpassed Melvin on the depth chart.
  • With Tracy Walker nearing full health, the Lions are scaling back Will Harris’ role in the defense. The rookie safety played in just 47 percent of snaps, his lowest since Week 7.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the play by S Will Harris and he's shown nothing in my mind and with my eyeball test that says he become anything more than a Don Juan Carey clone.

This 3rd round draft pick is now or will become to be known as a waste.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the oft-injured Da' Shawn Hand could very will end up being another wasted 3rd round pick.

Before anyone states that Hand was drafted in the 4th round of 2018 draft just keep in mind that BQ traded away the 2019 3rd round pick to his daddy in order to get that 4th round selection.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of the play by S Will Harris and he's shown nothing in my mind and with my eyeball test that says he become anything more than a Don Juan Carey clone.

This 3rd round draft pick is now or will become to be known as a waste.
Prolly should give him 4-5 more seasons, just to be sure.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prolly should give him 4-5 more seasons, just to be sure.

only an actual paid Lions GM is capable of completing such an act.

Armchair GM's know better except those who are New Englander arm chair GM's that pat themselves on the back because they like a player who played for a New England area CFB team.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least I can go down in my history/obituary full well knowing that "I made a list" and am proud of it.

would you be willing to write my obituary ?
So long as we've got a couple Super Bowl wins first.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only an actual paid Lions GM is capable of completing such an act.

Armchair GM's know better except those who are New Englander arm chair GM's that pat themselves on the back because they like a player who played for a New England area CFB team.
As a "fan" of a NE area CFB team, this post makes me nervous.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long as we've got a couple Super Bowl wins first.

well fuck. that isn't happening and you were my last hope to write that and spread my ashes while consuming greenery at my request.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a "fan" of a NE area CFB team, this post makes me nervous.

Princeton University isn't considered as New England area so as per usual and with no decoder ring I find myself lost and confused.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well fuck. that isn't happening and you were my last hope to write that and spread my ashes while consuming greenery at my request.
We have to hold on to hope that one day Martha will give us a winner.

The Chiefs equipment manager thinks Princeton is in New England...