• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darnold a Panther

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that he was in a terrible situation. But that does not explain all of his problems. We've seen first round busts on bad teams all our lives, how often do they go to a new team and suddenly turn good? Tannehill is the closest thing we have as an example and he was never Darnold bad in Miami and he's now got the best run game in the league to help him.
Yep, this is pretty much what I'm thinking. Though the sample space is going to get bigger this year when we see what Goff, Wentz and Darnold do. I do think with the Panthers receiving corps, Sam has the best shot (Goff worst).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s enough trash QBs in Denver, thank you very much. Cannot afford to take on everyone else’s trash like the Lions did with Goff.
What was it again that you thought Stafford would be worth in a trade?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that he was in a terrible situation. But that does not explain all of his problems. We've seen first round busts on bad teams all our lives, how often do they go to a new team and suddenly turn good? Tannehill is the closest thing we have as an example and he was never Darnold bad in Miami and he's now got the best run game in the league to help him.
Tannehill is gonna have a test this season. Lost his OC, TE and big physical receiver.

If he continues to win and shine, he should prolly be looked at as a Top Ten QB in the league. I’ll be rooting for him, but I’m not sure things keeping rolling so smoothly in TN.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF kinda stupid s*** is this? At least he didn't give up a first, but 3 picks? :L

Multiple pick trades are the way to go. A team like the Jets overvalue that crap.

Let's say Carolina goes 6-11 next year (yes I typed that right) and are drafting in the 8th slot next year like they are this year.

They can trade down into the early 20's and get back a 2nd and 4th round pick at least and it is like they were never out the picks to begin with. So really all they are trading is a 6th and a swap in the 1st round. Assuming they are drafting early.....and I am assuming they will be drafting early again.

Still I am not a fan of this move in the least. Especially that they will have to exercise Darnold's 5th year option in the next month and agree to pay him $18M next season for a QB who you very well might want to replace next offseason.

Newsflash Carolina: Darnold was about to be a FA at the end of this year and have VERY limited options (Wilson was going to be the starter for most the season). Just idiots. They traded all that draft capital and basically all they gained from it was the 2021 season and the right to pay Darnold more next offseason for 1 year than they likely have to pay him for the next 2 years had he been a FA.

Last edited:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave up very little for a 23 year old with upside, to add to a talented roster. It’s a risk/reward move for sure, but no team is going anywhere with Teddy Bridgewater as a starting QB, I don’t think that could be said for certain with Darnald until he gets a shot in a functional situation

Name a QB in the last 25 year that had 38 starts under his belt and was unquestionably one of the worst QB's in the league during that span that eventually turned into an average or above average starter.

"23 year old with upside". I'm not sure I would phrase. I suppose his upside is that he can't possibly be as bad as he has been. Still not sure I would consider that upside.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a QB in the last 25 year that had 38 starts under his belt and was unquestionably one of the worst QB's in the league during that span that eventually turned into an average or above average starter.

"23 year old with upside". I'm not sure I would phrase. I suppose his upside is that he can't possibly be as bad as he has been. Still not sure I would consider that upside.
Whats funny is that if you were to project notable improvement from Sam Darnold transitioning to the Panthers from the Jets, the stats would probably look similar to Teddy Bridgewaters who was averaging 65 more yards a game last year, had fewer sacks in more games, lower INT%, higher TD%, more rushing TDs, higher accuracy, higher YPA. The Panthers are banking on a historic type of breakout.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible trade for the Panthers. The trade value works out to the equivalent of between the #48 pick and the #52 pick in the 2021 Draft, (depending on exactly how you score the pick values). At least it's only a 1-year rental.

The 5th year option should be off the table because it has to be picked up in May. Accepted 5th year options are now fully guaranteed from the get-go and in Darnold's case it would be between $20M and $25M. No-one should consider guaranteeing Darnold $20M+ in 2022 at this point.

No reason for Darnold to sign a low-ball extension based on what he thinks will be the low point of his career.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings about this trade but I think this could be good for both teams.

This was interesting...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was about as Darnald bad in Miami

coincidentally with the same head coach

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ryan tannehill

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers figuring no QB falls to them. I'm not saying Darnold will be anything but you honestly could not have been put in a worse situation than Darnold was in. Terrible offensive line, absolutely no weapons and one of the worst head coaches ever.

If that is their reasoning for the trade then it makes more sense for them to wait till draft night and see how the board plays out before making the trade.

If anything this is an indication of what the Panthers thought about Lance and Fields if either were to fall to them.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K so Carolina is irrelevant in 2021/2022. Nice!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's an okish trade for the Panthers as if you are able to salvage him that's a pretty cheap price to pay for a quality starter and if you're not than it's not a package that hardly cripples you.

With QBs going 1-3 and possibly 4 it's clear they don't feel they could get their hands on a rookie they want in this draft and Watson is too nuclear to consider touching this offseason.

My gut tells me they still are all in on Watson if he clears his name but Darnold is a way to hedge their bets and have something if Watson doesn't clear his name for some reason or they get outbid by another team.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your ideas of bad teams. Is it the bad organization around him or the same name on the jersey. I think Peyton Manning is a great example of the entire culture of the organization becoming different top down. The Colts were trash but they tried getting better top down. The Jets drafted Darnold then tried to intentionally getting worse. Not saying Darnold is Peyton Manning, or even a non bust but his attributes and organization he went to isn’t that much different than Favre except he got thrust into the starting job because he was a higher pick.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darnold doesn't win those two late season games, the Jets would have gotten Trevor Lawrence.

So in effect, Darnold probably stuck it to the Jets for a generation. Unless of course Wilson exceeds all reasonable expectations.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ryan tannehill

Go look at Tannehil‘s stats in Miami and then go look at Darnold‘s stats in NY.

Tannehill was more or less a league average passer who was extremely injured prone have missed about 1.5 years of his previous 3 seasons with Miami when he was moved onto Tennessee. That’s not Darnold‘s situation.

I agree with you that Darnold should improve in Carolina. The Jets were a mess the last 3 years. I just don’t think there is a lot of hope for the type of massive turnaround to justify this move. Its not that Sam can’t be better.....it is just that he was SO bad, he can’t be so much better than he has been to think league average QB is a possibility for him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Allen after 27 games certainly didn’t look like Josh Allen after 43.

Dude almost won an MVP last year.

Sam Darnold has missed ten games, the Jets lost all ten without him. He has plenty of upside.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a guy gets taken #1 overall, he’s gonna have a hard time looking good right away.

There’s just no getting around it.