• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dark-Horses that will have improved chances

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to the 5 month layoff, and all of the uncertainty the NBA "playoffs" will likely be much more unpredictable than in a typical year.

While teams such as the Clippers, Bucks and Lakers are still the favorites - teams that have depth, have good coaching, and can play solid defense will have better chances. Also, rest for certain players, I believe, will disporportionately help certain teams/players.

1. Boston Celtics- The Celtics, depth, coaching and defense should give them a better than normal chance at taking down the Bucks who are clearly the class of the Eastern Conference. Stevens is one of the best coaches in the NBA. The Celtics have a deep rotation, and can play solid defense.

2. Houston Rockets- usually by this time of year the Rockets are exhausted due to their short rotations and Harden playing his brand of baskebtall. Now, Harden has had ample rest, and that short rotation, if they come back in shape, can help push the Rockets to possibly finally being able to pull off the series upset that has eluded them.

3. Miami Heat- the Heat have a deep rotation, their calling card is defense, solid coaching, and its not like they ever had a great home court advantage to begin with. In a normal season they would be overmatched, but a deep rotation, good coaching, and steady defense, they could pull off a series upset in the 2nd round.

4. Denver Nuggets-- another deep, well coached team, with a coach that stresses defense. A lot has been made how Jokic has used the 5 month break (longer than a regular NBA offseason) to not only stay in shape- but get in better shape then he has been.

5. Indiana Pacers- Another team with a longer rotation, Oladipo would be healthy, they play great fundamental basketball, and play hard.

As a rule, the NBA playoffs are about star power. With the 5 month layoff, injuries may happen, players may show up out of shape, players may contract the virus and be disqualified, and it will be hard for any player to play 40+ minutes a night. These teams that are deeper, for the most part well coached, and play solid defense, will have a better shot than in a normal season. While teams such as the Clippers, Bucks, and Lakers should still be the favorites, the chances of an upset are much greater than in a normal season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add the Trailblazers to that list. I believe they're finally healthy, or close to it and they still have Dame.

As a Lakers fan, they almost scare me more than the Clippers.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat? LOL. Oh my....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat fans on tHoop.are going to have a field day with this thread.....LOL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to the 5 month layoff, and all of the uncertainty the NBA "playoffs" will likely be much more unpredictable than in a typical year.

While teams such as the Clippers, Bucks and Lakers are still the favorites - teams that have depth, have good coaching, and can play solid defense will have better chances. Also, rest for certain players, I believe, will disporportionately help certain teams/players.

1. Boston Celtics- The Celtics, depth, coaching and defense should give them a better than normal chance at taking down the Bucks who are clearly the class of the Eastern Conference. Stevens is one of the best coaches in the NBA. The Celtics have a deep rotation, and can play solid defense.

2. Houston Rockets- usually by this time of year the Rockets are exhausted due to their short rotations and Harden playing his brand of baskebtall. Now, Harden has had ample rest, and that short rotation, if they come back in shape, can help push the Rockets to possibly finally being able to pull off the series upset that has eluded them.

3. Miami Heat- the Heat have a deep rotation, their calling card is defense, solid coaching, and its not like they ever had a great home court advantage to begin with. In a normal season they would be overmatched, but a deep rotation, good coaching, and steady defense, they could pull off a series upset in the 2nd round.

4. Denver Nuggets-- another deep, well coached team, with a coach that stresses defense. A lot has been made how Jokic has used the 5 month break (longer than a regular NBA offseason) to not only stay in shape- but get in better shape then he has been.

5. Indiana Pacers- Another team with a longer rotation, Oladipo would be healthy, they play great fundamental basketball, and play hard.

As a rule, the NBA playoffs are about star power. With the 5 month layoff, injuries may happen, players may show up out of shape, players may contract the virus and be disqualified, and it will be hard for any player to play 40+ minutes a night. These teams that are deeper, for the most part well coached, and play solid defense, will have a better shot than in a normal season. While teams such as the Clippers, Bucks, and Lakers should still be the favorites, the chances of an upset are much greater than in a normal season.
Great post, but remember the Clippers are in fact deep, well coached, and play great defense
So to me they have a little leg up on the other two favorites

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors and Rockets are very underrated under the current odds, IMO. I've seen the Raptors at +1800 and the Rockets at +1400.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This layoff also really helps the Raptors imo. They have three of their main core players who are on the older side. Lowry (34), Gasol (35) and Ibaka (30) could have all benefitted from the layoff.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, but remember the Clippers are in fact deep, well coached, and play great defense
So to me they have a little leg up on the other two favorites
Doesn't seem like he disagrees as I think he still said LA teams and Bucks still the favorites. Obviously cannot name the Clips as a darkhorse.

while I still have trouble betting against Lebron in a playoff series I agree the Clips will be a tough matchup for anyone for the reasons you gave.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't seem like he disagrees as I think he still said LA teams and Bucks still the favorites. Obviously cannot name the Clips as a darkhorse.

while I still have trouble betting against Lebron in a playoff series I agree the Clips will be a tough matchup for anyone for the reasons you gave.

The biggest obstacle the Clippers were going to face was 7 road games against the Lakers.

Now that they are playing at a neutral site, the Clips should be the clear favorite.

But I won’t bet against LeBron either. Really hope those 2 meet in the WCF and that both rosters are full strength.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest obstacle the Clippers were going to face was 7 road games against the Lakers.

Now that they are playing at a neutral site, the Clips should be the clear favorite.

But I won’t bet against LeBron either. Really hope those 2 meet in the WCF and that both rosters are full strength.
wasn't facing Lebron under normal circumstances kind of a neutral site as well for the Clips?

will definitely be disappointed if we don't get this matchup somehow.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't facing Lebron under normal circumstances kind of a neutral site as well for the Clips?

Not neutral...7 road games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat fans on tHoop.are going to have a field day with this thread.....LOL.

Pat Riley doesn't know what he's doing.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No.

Laker fans dominate that arena regardless of who the home team is.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron is loving the lay-off. I think it’s lakers all the way. Rockets might be a tough out too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Laker fans dominate that arena regardless of who the home team is.
Guessing Clips would get their share of fans......plus no travel and playing in a more familiar setting.

@trojanfan12 or @ChiefsLakers67 ? Curious....what would you say would be % of Clips fans in the crowd for a Laker/Clipper "home" game for the Clips?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how were they going to face 7 road games if not for the new circumstances we are under?
Really? As I and others keep telling you, when the Clippers play a "home" game against the Lakers, it's really a road game because the fans are mostly Lakers fans in that building.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, nope
they would not need to travel is not really debatable. are you suggesting when Clips are the "home" team they would not have more fans there than a game in, say, OKC? Maybe even a lot more?