• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darius Slay exit interview

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t good when one of, if not, the best players on the team over the last 5 years says he is just glad he doesn’t have to play for Matty P anymore.

He also said Patricia told him he had no business working out with Richard Sherman and Aquib Talib because he isn’t on their level. Also said, the animosity has been growing since Patricia took over as coach.

Im starting to think this is why we keep signing and traded for former Patriots. Patricia wants to run the team like the Patriots, but unless you have Brady at QB and a genius at HC — I don’t see that happening.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t good when one of, if not, the best players on the team over the last 5 years says he is just glad he doesn’t have to play for Matty P anymore.

He also said Patricia told him he had no business working out with Richard Sherman and Aquib Talib because he isn’t on their level. Also said, the animosity has been growing since Patricia took over as coach.

Im starting to think this is why we keep signing and traded for former Patriots. Patricia wants to run the team like the Patriots, but unless you have Brady at QB and a genius at HC — I don’t see that happening.

Slays account has already been backed by players. 2 current players that want to remain anonymous, and Glover Quin. Patricia being a douche should surprise nobody.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy once the calendar turns to 2022

when both Quinn and Patricia are gone.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides. He’s not elite. And he shouldn’t be so sensitive. I’ve never in my life ever heard a Patriot player publicly moan about how they were treated. I don’t really have a problem with Patty being honest with him. I think a tougher player would have wanted to prove his HC wrong.

With all that said, it’s extremely disappointing to see Patricia fail over and over to inspire good players. That’s a problem.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy once the calendar turns to 2022

when both Quinn and Patricia are gone.

I see no evidence their jobs are even in jeopardy. Unless they start out 2-6 and finish w 3-4 wins I think they are back next year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides. He’s not elite. And he shouldn’t be so sensitive. I’ve never in my life ever heard a Patriot player publicly moan about how they were treated. I don’t really have a problem with Patty being honest with him. I think a tougher player would have wanted to prove his HC wrong.

With all that said, it’s extremely disappointing to see Patricia fail over and over to inspire good players. That’s a problem.

I think his bigger issue was calling him out for praising the player that beat him a few times in practice. You have to guess his exact verbiage because they wont out right say it in articles, but along the lines of "quit sucking his dick". In a room full of his peers, over him building up a teammate.

If it was just Slay I agree he is being a little bitch, but 3 players in that room agree Patricia was way out of line. Right or wrong, he alienated the defensive backs at that moment. He clearly never got them back.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his bigger issue was calling him out for praising the player that beat him a few times in practice. You have to guess his exact verbiage because they wont out right say it in articles, but along the lines of "quit sucking his dick". In a room full of his peers, over him building up a teammate.

If it was just Slay I agree he is being a little bitch, but 3 players in that room agree Patricia was way out of line. Right or wrong, he alienated the defensive backs at that moment. He clearly never got them back.

Ya I think Patricia handled it wrong too. Does Belichick talk like that to his players?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is — Patricia is trying to run the team like he is Belichick, when he has no clout at all as a head coach.

And if he is saying that to Slay — who has made 3 straight pro bowls, was 1st team all-pro two years ago and is/was our best player on defense — what is he saying to the rest of the team? I’d think a coach would be happy for players to seek out other top players to train with in the offseason. I can’t imagine what Patricia would have said when Slay spent the summer working with Rod Woodson:lol:

Worst part of this is — when Patricia fails, we are going to have a defense filled with players who fit in very few schemes and if we replace the staff — they will need to replace much of the defense. And I bet the team who will be there for the fire sale is NE:mad2:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I think Patricia handled it wrong too. Does Belichick talk like that to his players?

Belichick has decades as a head coach and needs two hands for his SB rings as a HC. He has the respect of all his players from day 1.

Maybe that is part of the problem. Patricia believes he can act and talk like Belichick, as that is what he knows from his time at NE.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not just that. It's the culture of winning.
It's winning the division every year.
First round bye in playoffs every year.
Shots at title's every year.

Players will take shit from the coach if he has the record to back it up.
Matty P has a defense that not only got blown out in the SB by the Eagles.
They have been bottom 10 both years he was here too.

Nobody is listening to that POS or respecting him. Though he thinks he deserved it already.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick has decades as a head coach and needs two hands for his SB rings as a HC. He has the respect of all his players from day 1.

Maybe that is part of the problem. Patricia believes he can act and talk like Belichick, as that is what he knows from his time at NE.

Wish I would of read this before typing out my post. Could of saved myself 3 minutes.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst part of this is — when Patricia fails, we are going to have a defense filled with players who fit in very few schemes and if we replace the staff — they will need to replace much of the defense. And I bet the team who will be there for the fire sale is NE:mad2:

A good coach works to the strength of his players. Not the other way around.
The Ford's hiring a good coach is another story altogether.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right or wrong, he alienated the defensive backs at that moment. He clearly never got them back.

He alienated the entire team when we got jobbed in GB on MNF by saying "They called what they called" instead of saying, my boys deserved a win and were screwed over by the refs.
IMO, he will never get the team to fight hard for him.
My prediction is he is fired by mid-season next year. If it starts on time that is.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slay is a whiner and should be happy Philly made him the highest paid CB in the NFL. I'd be overjoyed in his situation.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Patricia is so bad then why is he still the Lions head coach?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because he is good friends with our awful gm, who is still employed for the same reason that Millen was gm for 7 years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His good friend is the GM and they are tied to each other. If this year is a failure coming up — both will be looking for a job.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no evidence their jobs are even in jeopardy. Unless they start out 2-6 and finish w 3-4 wins I think they are back next year.

I haven't stated their job is in jeopardy at this time.

But I damn for sure can envision it heading that way coming into 2021

No matter what the record ends up being when 2020 is finished, I still see BQ/MP being employed in 2021 until it all comes unraveled (if it comes unraveled)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be a helluva lot easier to fix the offense by adding a starting caliber RG, WR and a RB that can handle the bell cow role than all the needs to fix the defense.

I won't even waste my time listing all those needs to right the ship on the defensive side and this draft wouldn't solve them all any way.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darius Slay: I don't respect Detroit Lions' Matt Patricia because of 2018 incident

Slay, a three-time Pro Bowler, told the Free Press on Thursday that his lack of respect for Patricia stems from an incident that happened in training camp during Patricia's first season as Lions coach in 2018.

"He told me in front of the whole team, in the team meeting room, showed clips of me in practice getting a ball caught on me or so in practice," Slay said. "I posted a picture (of a wide receiver on social media), and he told me, stop sucking this man’s private. So I’m like, 'Whoa.' I’m like, 'Hold up.' Where I’m from, that don’t fly. Cause I wouldn’t say that to him. I wouldn’t say to him to stop you know what to Bill Belichick. I wouldn’t do that. That’s just not me as a man. That’s disrespectful to me and so from there on it was done with."

A second Lions player in the meeting corroborated Slay's account in a text message late Thursday.

BB_72:
taken out of context or not - however an individual interprets Patricia's response - I sure as hell wouldn't tolerate it coming from my boss - not even making millions of dollars a year will soothe over that.