• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Manning

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is the worst coach in DI basketball

change my mind

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit that's a bad loss. 296 in KenPom. I don't see him making it to next year.

@Hitman Hart who would be some realistic candidates in your opinion should it open up? Wes Miller at UNCG? Or is that to big of a leap? What about Ryan Odom? Kelvin Sampson? John Brannen at NKU?

Honestly don't have a clue, was just wondering who would be on your list as a fan?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny manning teams play Washington generals level d

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit that's a bad loss. 296 in KenPom. I don't see him making it to next year.

@Hitman Hart who would be some realistic candidates in your opinion should it open up? Wes Miller at UNCG? Or is that to big of a leap? What about Ryan Odom? Kelvin Sampson? John Brannen at NKU?

Honestly don't have a clue, was just wondering who would be on your list as a fan?

3 pretty good coaching prospects with pretty deep Wake ties out there right now

Wes Miller @ UNC-G. currently coaches right across the street in Greensboro. Dad was a pretty big Wake donor. The student gym @ Wake is named after Wes Miller's dad. he's done an excellent job at UNCG.

Pat Kelsey @ Winthrop. former Prosser assistant @ Wake. has done a good job @ Winthrop. he's been HEAVILY influenced by Prosser.

Ryan Odom @ UMBC. son of Dave Odom, former Wake coach. Dave currently lives in Winston. The turnaround job Odom has performed @ UMBC has been amazing. If UMBC has a solid season this year, Odom is my guy.

the only problem with this list is that 2/3 of the guys on it are kinda emotional hires in the sense that it will be hard to fire them if they don't succeed b/c of the family ties. could even potentially scare them away (or even being offered the job) from taking the job.

SoCon and America East will probably never be multi-bid leagues, but they aren't the MEAC, SWAC or Atlantic Sun either. Odom and Miller have proven that they can re-build programs that were in the dumps. That is pretty important.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny manning teams play Washington generals level d

it's the worst, tbh. the scary part is that he acknowledges that defense wins championships and the defense @ Wake is unacceptable, so it isn't like he neglects it. He just can't teach it.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richmond fans also want to fire their coach and have an interesting proposal:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 pretty good coaching prospects with pretty deep Wake ties out there right now

Wes Miller @ UNC-G. currently coaches right across the street in Greensboro. Dad was a pretty big Wake donor. The student gym @ Wake is named after Wes Miller's dad. he's done an excellent job at UNCG.

Pat Kelsey @ Winthrop. former Prosser assistant @ Wake. has done a good job @ Winthrop. he's been HEAVILY influenced by Prosser.

Ryan Odom @ UMBC. son of Dave Odom, former Wake coach. Dave currently lives in Winston. The turnaround job Odom has performed @ UMBC has been amazing. If UMBC has a solid season this year, Odom is my guy.

the only problem with this list is that 2/3 of the guys on it are kinda emotional hires in the sense that it will be hard to fire them if they don't succeed b/c of the family ties. could even potentially scare them away (or even being offered the job) from taking the job.

SoCon and America East will probably never be multi-bid leagues, but they aren't the MEAC, SWAC or Atlantic Sun either. Odom and Miller have proven that they can re-build programs that were in the dumps. That is pretty important.

Seems like we're kind of on the same page. I didn't know Miller had those ties to Wake. He would have been my #1 choice to begin with, now I think he's the guy Wake should definitely go after. He's coached his entire career in that area. That can only help with recruiting IMO. Took him a little while to get going at UNCG, but he's been great the last 3 seasons, including early on this season.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richmond fans also want to fire their coach and have an interesting proposal:

What a turn of events from 5 years ago. He was a hot commodity. Probably should have jumped to another job when he had the chance.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we're kind of on the same page. I didn't know Miller had those ties to Wake. He would have been my #1 choice to begin with, now I think he's the guy Wake should definitely go after. He's coached his entire career in that area. That can only help with recruiting IMO. Took him a little while to get going at UNCG, but he's been great the last 3 seasons, including early on this season.

yeah, can't go wrong with Miller or Odom.

another thing about Manning is that he has signed more 4*/5* than 3*. he's just a terrible coach. Wake is going to have to eat that contract.

and DM has recruited pretty well (clearly), but i'm still annoyed at the amount of in-state talent that he's let go to other places. Grant Williams, Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, TyShon Alexander, Ebuka Izundu, etc. NC produces a lot of hoop talent.

a sad statistic:

from 1990 to 2010: Wake went 177-141 in ACC play with 18 post-season appearances (14 NCAAT and 4 NIT) in 20 seasons. fwiw, if the first four existed back then, that number is probably 17 NCAAT/1 NIT.

since 2010, they are 37-103 in ACC play with 1 post-season appearance in 8 seasons

amazing amount of incompetence

Last edited:

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a turn of events from 5 years ago. He was a hot commodity. Probably should have jumped to another job when he had the chance.

I've always liked Richmond, b/c for some odd reason Wake plays them every year. Mooney had them going for a little bit, then they fell off. Richmond is a pretty great college basketball city

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, can't go wrong with Miller or Odom.

another thing about Manning is that he has signed more 4*/5* than 3*. he's just a terrible coach. Wake is going to have to eat that contract.

and DM has recruited pretty well (clearly), but i'm still annoyed at the amount of in-state talent that he's let go to other places. Grant Williams, Jerome Robinson, Ky Bowman, TyShon Alexander, Ebuka Izundu, etc. NC produces a lot of hoop talent.

a sad statistic:

from 1990 to 2010: Wake went 177-141 in ACC play with 18 post-season appearances (14 NCAAT and 4 NIT) in 20 seasons. fwiw, if the first four existed back then, that number is probably 17 NCAAT/1 NIT.

since 2010, they are 37-103 in ACC play with 1 post-season appearance in 8 seasons

amazing amount of incompetence

Yeah, he's definitely letting some lesser known in state talent go elsewhere, at least lesser known coming out of high school. That'd be a hell of a starting 5(even with Robinson gone to the nba).

And damn that does suck. Wake was a top 10 program when I really started watching(1997) and following college basketball for about the next decade or so. Some of my favorite teams to watch, just as a fan of the sport were those Wake teams in the early to mid 2000's.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Richmond, b/c for some odd reason Wake plays them every year. Mooney had them going for a little bit, then they fell off. Richmond is a pretty great college basketball city

Yeah, after the 2011 season, he could have had a couple jobs, would be my guess. I feel like they should probably be better than they are, given location and resources.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's definitely letting some lesser known in state talent go elsewhere, at least lesser known coming out of high school. That'd be a hell of a starting 5(even with Robinson gone to the nba).

And damn that does suck. Wake was a top 10 program when I really started watching(1997) and following college basketball for about the next decade or so. Some of my favorite teams to watch, just as a fan of the sport were those Wake teams in the early to mid 2000's.

they were also phenomenal at putting quality players in the league. Rogers, Duncan, Songaila, Howard, Paul, Teague, Johnson, Aminu, Smith all had decent careers. had a handful of other guys that had a cup of coffee, too

Wake has put 7.5 million into their basketball program since January 2017. have to figure there's going to be pressure on the AD to make a move + finally getting it right.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were also phenomenal at putting quality players in the league. Rogers, Duncan, Songaila, Howard, Paul, Teague, Johnson, Aminu, Smith all had decent careers. had a handful of other guys that had a cup of coffee, too

Wake has put 7.5 million into their basketball program since January 2017. have to figure there's going to be pressure on the AD to make a move + finally getting it right. I have heard rumblings that the CBB coaching fraternity doesn't have a high opinion of Ron Wellman

I don't really remember that much of Duncan at Wake, but he's obviously one of the best players of all-time. Howard was one of my favorite players to watch not only at Wake, but also in the league. Justin Gray was also fun to watch even though I don't think he ever made the league.

And yeah, I'd agree, investing that much money into the program, you need to see results. Wake's gotta get the next hire correct.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, Yes. Overall, nope. Stallings in Pitt is the worst of all time!!! Thank god they finally canned him last year!!!

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, Yes. Overall, nope. Stallings in Pitt is the worst of all time!!! Thank god they finally canned him last year!!!

Jeff Bzdelik was much worse than Kevin Stallings. Also, Stallings had a decent career @ Vandy.

Danny Manning is marginally better than Bzdelik

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Bzdelik was much worse than Kevin Stallings. Also, Stallings had a decent career @ Vandy.

Danny Manning is marginally better than Bzdelik
I'm not counting what Stallings did at Vandy. I'm only counting his complete dismantling of the Pitt program in just 2 years.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not counting what Stallings did at Vandy. I'm only counting his complete dismantling of the Pitt program in just 2 years.

Bzdelik was still worse, imo

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. Not as familiar with him while I got to suffer Stallings handiwork first hand.

Pitt was at least intelligent enough to pull the cord after two years