• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan Marino Jumps Into the Concussion Lawsuit(a)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's actually not suing for money. He's suing for a Super Bowl ring. He said he'd settle out of court for one of Montana's.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting tired of overpaid athletes bitching about things like this.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting tired of overpaid athletes bitching about things like this.

I don't think athletes in general are overpaid when you think about it... but I am tired of guys who knew what they were getting into trying to sue. If you want life long health care, that is fine and I think most cases deserved. But to sue for head injuries when you play football is just dumb. It's like signing up to be this guy and then suing for getting bit by a dog.

attack-dog-man-suit.jpg

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think athletes in general are overpaid when you think about it... but I am tired of guys who knew what they were getting into trying to sue. If you want life long health care, that is fine and I think most cases deserved. But to sue for head injuries when you play football is just dumb. It's like signing up to be this guy and then suing for getting bit by a dog.

attack-dog-man-suit.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think people like Marino knew about long term brain injuries back in the 70s when he was growing up? I understand why Joe Schmos like us would balk at the idea of highly paid former athletes wanting more money, but do you not believe that the NFL hid information about damage to the human brain? And if the NFL did hide information about brain injury, should they be exempt from the same kind of repercussions that the tobacco industry faced for their malfeasances?

Everyone deserves proper healthcare, and I couldn't imagine dealing with memory issues that'd causes me to forgot times spent with my nephews and nieces. Sure, these former NFL players were adults when they came into the league, but when I imagine the dipshit I was when I was 18-21, I wouldn't trust that person to be mentally competent enough to make decisions that might cause me to get Parkinson's or Alzheimer's later in life. I imagine my last point is why the NFL has the rookie symposium.

Then again, I can only speak for myself. But if it truly comes down to individual responsibility, say a 30-40% risk of something like Alzheimer's so MAYBE someone plays 4 years in the NFL, I would rather never watch a game again. Maybe I'm a pussy, but even though I love sports to death, I hate seeing someone like Mohammad Ali as fragile as he is (possibly) due to hits to the head.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in any time from the invention of football, I would've thought that there was brain damage. One might say that you don't know the scope of that damage and that I am speaking in hindsight. But if you just look at it you're running into each other and you know how boxing has effects. I don't think that I would trust the helmet, but then again I'm not as tough as those guys.

I'm not saying the money he was paid was as high as it is today or would it be worth a lot of the things he might have to deal with right now, but it's not like he was being paid very little and didn't have the knowledge that you get hit in football. I do feel bad for what he feels now and that is regardless of what he was paid. I know long time ago players weren't paid that much compared to now. They were paid more than other professions back until the time where players had two jobs. Again, not saying that money is worth brain damage. And that money either is salary from before or lawsuits damages.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish these lawsuits would really just be siing for medical and changes, that money could not go to the players but rather to the hospital bills, held in a trust to use for future medical bills, but there is a level of money they have to sue for it to have an effect on the NFL. I don't know what the proper damages are, what the proper moves, but I can guarantee you that if the NFL made all of those changes and amends, someone would still sue them later.

I know that is not reason to not give them the right things now, but I know that's a factor in them not wanting to concede. It sets a precedent and they do not believe that that will end future lawsuits, even if they do the right things. Having said all that, I don't think they'll do all the right things, either. Football is going to end one day or it will get a lot worse and that will be sad for me. I know people know that it's already worse, I'm just saying enough to a point that I wouldn't want to watch. I still want to watch. And that's part of the problem, the NFL knows that we love football. It makes money so why change?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

attack-dog-man-suit.jpg

Well I agree with everything else, but not the bold part. I think paying a guy millions of dollars to throw a football around is a little nutty. But what do I know.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well I agree with everything else, but not the bold part. I think paying a guy millions of dollars to throw a football around is a little nutty. But what do I know.

I think paying a guy millions of dollars to sing the word baby over and over again is nutty (Justin Bieber). But y'know what? He EARNED every penny of it. He didn't steal it; he didn't cheat. He earned it.

The NFL and the players have an agreement. They all fight for as much as they can get, and in the end how much they were worth equals how much they were able to get. That's fair.

THIS bull shit, on the other hand, is not earning. It's using the power of the court to essentially re-write the agreements they signed with the NFL 20 years after the fact. They knew the risks; people have literally died on the football filed. People have become paralyzed. That's part of the reason they got paid millions of dollars; that was the value of taking those risks.

Courts are supposed to exist to ensure justice. These assholes were not denied justice; this is a money grab. The NFL isn't a medical journal; they don't have exclusive access to medical information. Medical opinions differ from person to person, and data on head injuries isn't locked up some NFL pentagon-like bunker. EVERYONE knew there were medical risks involved with head injuries and any other kind of injury. They all talked about how they might not be able to pick their kids up when they retire. But they played anyway.

You're the ultimate NFL loser Dan. I'm so glad you never got a ring.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

attack-dog-man-suit.jpg

Not quite. It's like being that guy, and the employer saying "no this dog doesn't have rabies" when in fact they know it does. The NFL KNEW that there were risks to players long term health, and they withheld that information, and in some cases flat out lied about it. That's why the players do, IMO, have a right to sue.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite. It's like being that guy, and the employer saying "no this dog doesn't have rabies" when in fact they know it does. The NFL KNEW that there were risks to players long term health, and they withheld that information, and in some cases flat out lied about it. That's why the players do, IMO, have a right to sue.

What if that dog is foaming at the mouth? Nah, that could just be saliva or bubbles. The employer in this case wouldn't necessarily say it doesn't have rabies - it would say nothing when it knew it probably did.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I would like an honest answer on is. If the people in these law suits would have had all the information, would it have stopped them from playing football? I personally doubt it very much.

I don't see too many people talk about personal responsibility on this issue enough. These cases seam to be based on well the NFL didn't tell us. Does that mean that the information was not out there to be learned? Could these players have educated themselves to the long term dangers.
I don't think there was any doubt in any of these players minds that there was going to long term health issues, maybe they didn't think about concussions. They signed up for it anyway, for whatever reason, be it money, fame, or love of the game.
If I go apply for a job I know is dangerous, the employer is not going to outline every single danger for you. I knew it was dangerous though, and whatever danger there was I would consider it my responsibility to research and consider the dangers myself to see if it was something I wanted to do.
Every time I took a dangerous job though money talked, and they make a but ton of it.
I'm a bit unsympathetic that after the money train dries up, and the fame goes away that now they complain about the long term affects of what they new to be dangerous.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I would like an honest answer on is. If the people in these law suits would have had all the information, would it have stopped them from playing football? I personally doubt it very much.

I don't see too many people talk about personal responsibility on this issue enough. These cases seam to be based on well the NFL didn't tell us. Does that mean that the information was not out there to be learned? Could these players have educated themselves to the long term dangers.
I don't think there was any doubt in any of these players minds that there was going to long term health issues, maybe they didn't think about concussions. They signed up for it anyway, for whatever reason, be it money, fame, or love of the game.
If I go apply for a job I know is dangerous, the employer is not going to outline every single danger for you. I knew it was dangerous though, and whatever danger there was I would consider it my responsibility to research and consider the dangers myself to see if it was something I wanted to do.
Every time I took a dangerous job though money talked, and they make a but ton of it.
I'm a bit unsympathetic that after the money train dries up, and the fame goes away that now they complain about the long term affects of what they new to be dangerous.

They might not have quit playing, but they wouldn't have jumped right back out there after being concussed. I'm sure a lot of players would have given the injury the proper time to heal. They couldn't/didn't know how to do this, because the NFL lied to them. Doctors were literally going to the NFL saying "these players in in danger of permanent long term brain damage" and the NFL did everything they could to not only ignore them, but in some cases silence them.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason athletes aren't overpaid is because all of their money comes from a percentage of what the league makes. So because of them, the league is making billions a year. They get a percentage of that money, and rightfully so. If people think they are overpaid they have the control to stop that by not going to games, or watching them on TV... or buying merchandise.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is an amount of common sense though. You keep bashing your head in and it's pretty obvious it is going to have a negative affect on you.