• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dalton to be Released

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it has to either be an all-in tank for Trevor, or he's going to think he's smart enough to win without TB. If I were wagering - I'd bet on the latter. I don't think it would sit well for him to try, and end up losing, and then having people question if the last decade+ was more about TB than it was about BB.

Yeah.... I thought of that angle, but I just think the reload approach is only going to get him so far right now. Dalton might get him to 10 wins, but he's not winning the super bowl and the Pats will continue to draft in the back half of the draft. Sooner or later, the franchise will have to absorb some losses to restart the success.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently dak has been bitching about wanting more money. Jerry Jones power play.

he could end up being a top 10qb again, lol.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

A solid pocket QB like Dalton would thrive as the starter in Dallas. He'll have quite possibly the best supporting cast in the league. Cleveland, TB, and Tennessee are in the discussion too but I think Dallas's OL make them the best though.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A solid pocket QB like Dalton would thrive as the starter in Dallas. He'll have quite possibly the best supporting cast in the league. Cleveland, TB, and Tennessee are in the discussion too but I think Dallas's OL make them the best though.

so no play off wins will be the end for him this year. they don't accept mediocrity there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Dez complaining about the Dalton signing. He's mad because they should have paid Dak - correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Dallas make him an offer to be the highest paid QB? I thought I read that somewhere, but can't recall. Dez is a moron.

Either way, he lives there, doesn't have to move - from Texas - good fit. Dak goes down with an injury, they have a very capable backup QB. Dak ask for too much, they can move on to Dalton. If not, Dalton gets to spend a year at home for $3M and play backup, and back onto the market next year with less F/A out there with his experience and history. Not bad from Dalton's standpoint.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently dak has been bitching about wanting more money. Jerry Jones power play.

Yeah, I went back and looked it up - he was offered 30MM a year, and he wants 40MM a year as Wilson and Wentz kind of re-set the market.

Wilson should get paid. Dude has won, and wins. He's got the pedigree of someone who has earned that contract.

Philly is just stupid to extend Wentz like they did for as much as they did.

Dak is not Wilson - and Dallas shouldn't have to overpay because the Eagles made a terrible contracting mistake.

With guys like Elliot due, and Cooper just getting paid - you have to spread that money around. Especially since you can easily see the NFL cap not going up much at all after all the events of this current year. Even if they have football, there's little doubt that revenue will be impacted from several areas.

The more I look at the signing, the more I think it's a chance for Jones to see what an established veteran, like Dalton, would look like behind a solid OL, with good WR's, and a top 5 RB....It may not be Dalton who would ultimately take over, but it would give Jones a look for 1 year to see what it would look like without Dak.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones might just see how the first few games pan out. If the Boys are 2-1, why over-pay.

For that matter, this virus might survive the summer and people may still be freaking out about social distancing, so this could be the most f'd up season ever. in that case, why overpay for anyone?

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys play in Cincy this season

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and they will stomp our asses into the ground.

except if Dalton has to play here at night.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prescott's reps are playing this right.... Hell, the Vikings overpaid Kirk Fucking Cousins. Teams are desperate for a franchise QB, and owners will overpay even for the wrong guys.

The issue is that I think if the Cowboys sign him to a huge deal, they basically screw their franchise for the next number of years. The real value right now is to have a guy on a rookie deal that can play at a high level. If he's not one of the top 5 or top 10 by the time they're due for a new deal, I think you need to let them walk. It just eats up too much of your cap to have a high-paid QB that won't get you past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prescott's reps are playing this right.... Hell, the Vikings overpaid Kirk Fucking Cousins. Teams are desperate for a franchise QB, and owners will overpay even for the wrong guys.

The issue is that I think if the Cowboys sign him to a huge deal, they basically screw their franchise for the next number of years. The real value right now is to have a guy on a rookie deal that can play at a high level. If he's not one of the top 5 or top 10 by the time they're due for a new deal, I think you need to let them walk. It just eats up too much of your cap to have a high-paid QB that won't get you past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Agreed to a point. You CAN afford to pay them, but you have to also be able to build around them with younger/cheaper talent. Teams that have been able to draft around a franchise QB have been able to afford their QB. Besides, those bigger deals basically end up being off-set by some type of restructuring that allows them to continually push off the bonus payment against the cap for years.

That, and the cap has risen dramatically over the past few years, allowing teams more and more room after singing their QB. So, it can be done, but your front office has to know how to approach it and be prepared by understanding the cap, and where they are at as a franchise with other higher paid players.