• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

dallas deal

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Goligoski from Pitt for Neal and Niskanen.

Interesting trade, and I would say that Dallas wins it, though it's pretty even. Neal is a good young player but he's already paid 3M so he's not a steal. That said, on a Pitt team with their forward talent, neal could really explode. Niskanen has had a rough year, but we've seen that he can be excellent.

That said, Goligoski is a pretty studly guy signed below 2M. I like this deal for dallas, but I dont see it as the difference between PO's or not, especially with Richards out. I still think dallas missed the show, but with a good offseason, they could be real good next year.

Goligoski, Robidas, Daley, Grossman as 4 of the top 6 is pretty respectable especially since they combine to cost just 10M (about 2.5M each average). Dallas should have lots of cap space to add another big name Dman, which will make them have a pretty stacked blueline.

Thoughts?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas got fleeced, IMO. Neal is a stud. Niskanen isn't bad either.

What the fuck is a Goligoski? Never heard of him.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's potential for PIT to make out like bandits. I think highly of Neal and I think Goligoski is a solid offensive dman, not much more. Good trade for both teams though as they both dealt from their strength to bolster a weakness.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the key is the value play. Neal is a good player, without a doubt, but he's already earning 3M. He'd probably only be worth 4 on the open market. Niskanen is paid 1.5, but could be worth only maybe 2 or 2.5 on the open market. So, both of those are good players, but aren't that special in terms of value the money (which is really important in the cap era.) Goligoski is at 1.8 mil next year too, but his value could be upwards of 4M-5M per year if he was a UFA. That's a big value gain for dallas. Goligoski plays 21 mins per game and has tremendous offensive upside while still being pretty solid in his own end. He was dominant at Minnesota too. If he continues his good play, he'll be a huge addition. 40 pt defenseman who are big pluses are very rare.

Only if neal develops into a 60 pt player and niskanen returns to form will this be a good deal for pitt.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol wow, Dallas is showing their desperation with this move. I guess falling like a brick can do that to you. James Neal is going to be a great player in this league. Niskanen is no push over either, although Goligoski is better offensively. In the long run, Pittsburgh wins this trade easily IMO. I love it.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
p.s.: Of course poor pitt is up in the nucks territory for devastating injuries. The nucks have lost a whole top 4 blueline, but pitt lost the best player in the hockey and another not far AND just lost their #1 or #2 dman in Martin. That is pretty rough so I suppose that if pitt wants to continue to compete they needed to add offense desperately. In that regard, adding neal was a good move particularly since letang has become the clear offensive leader from the blueline and when healthy, martin can definitely pitch in so goligoski was a bit expendable.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Gologoski is grossly overrated, he's slumped alot this season and seems to off stalled, his points total should be way higher playing the PP on that team with Letang, and they arent.

I think he is a good complimentray defenseman but he is not an anchor

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the key is the value play. Neal is a good player, without a doubt, but he's already earning 3M. He'd probably only be worth 4 on the open market. Niskanen is paid 1.5, but could be worth only maybe 2 or 2.5 on the open market. So, both of those are good players, but aren't that special in terms of value the money (which is really important in the cap era.) Goligoski is at 1.8 mil next year too, but his value could be upwards of 4M-5M per year if he was a UFA. That's a big value gain for dallas. Goligoski plays 21 mins per game and has tremendous offensive upside while still being pretty solid in his own end. He was dominant at Minnesota too. If he continues his good play, he'll be a huge addition. 40 pt defenseman who are big pluses are very rare.

Only if neal develops into a 60 pt player and niskanen returns to form will this be a good deal for pitt.

It's NOT all about the money (well, it IS to you but anyway)...

Neal will probably be a 40-goal scorer next year and Niskanen isn't bad either... all that Dallas got back was Goligoski and cap room?

I give this trade an F- for Dallas... It's the equivalent of Dougie trading.. nevermind.. if Dougie did something like this, I'd be absolutely livid... just like I'm sure 99% of Dallas fans are right now with Nieuwendyk.. that guy is fucking clueless.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is all about bang for your buck, though if Neal becomes a 40 goal scorer, than it will be Pitt's trade for sure. Niskanen was a very good player, but has really struggled the last couple years. He's still young and cheap so if he returns to 08-09 form, then it's another huge bonus for pitt. Also, if goligoski is as marginal as you guys describe, then it will be a raping in favor of pitt.

However ,if neal levels off as a 50 pt player, niskanen does not return to form and continues his struggles and goligoski continues his excellent production, then it will be a good deal for dallas and not so much for pitt.

It will be judged in time. of course, I definitely hope you guys are right and that dallar got much worse. Lord knows, whenever dallas gets worse, I'm thrilled.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looks like a terrible salary dump where you get (relatively) jack shit in return for Dallas... kind of like Ehrhoff-to-Vancouver.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's NOT all about the money (well, it IS to you but anyway)...

Neal will probably be a 40-goal scorer next year and Niskanen isn't bad either... all that Dallas got back was Goligoski and cap room?

I give this trade an F- for Dallas... It's the equivalent of Dougie trading.. nevermind.. if Dougie did something like this, I'd be absolutely livid... just like I'm sure 99% of Dallas fans are right now with Nieuwendyk.. that guy is fucking clueless.

Wow, harsh :-)

It's hard to come into a situation like dallas' and only spend in the bottom 10 in the league while inheriting not much for a farm. If Niewdendyk had the ability to spend that 7M+, Im sure he could have improved the team a ton. In fact, if you account for Hull's 4M fuckup with avery (which still costs 2M per year) it's over 9M in cap space that niewendyk doesnt have. Thank god he isnt allowed to spend to the cap, but if dougie had to cut 9M off the sharks current roster, that would surely hurt big time.

That's what makes nashville so damn amazing (and NJ look so bad). They has havent much for top picks the last few years (One top 10 pick in the last 7 years, yet is playing so well with so much cap space. Poille and Trotz would be a cup duo if they both came to SJ.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just looks like a terrible salary dump where you get (relatively) jack shit in return for Dallas... kind of like Ehrhoff-to-Vancouver.

well, the ehrhoff deal brought back absolutely nothing. That was arguably dougie's worst move in his entire tenure. Of course in the grander scheme of things which would you rather have: Ehrhoff, cheech, and Michalek or Heater and 3M in cap space?

This one depends largely on goligoski. If he acts studly, then it's a good deal. If he gets exposed as just being the beneficiary of letang/crosby/malkin, then it's a bad deal. I figure Pitt's perspective is to go for it this year and they needed offensive help like there was no tomorrow (see the 1-0 blanking again today). It's a good deal for Pitt, for dallas, we'll see...

EDIT: the ehrhoff deal will net a 2nd rounder in 2012 when white is officially released. So, not nothing, just damn close to it since the pick comes 3-4 years after the deal.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well, the ehrhoff deal brought back absolutely nothing. That was arguably dougie's worst move in his entire tenure. Of course in the grander scheme of things which would you rather have: Ehrhoff, cheech, and Michalek or Heater and 3M in cap space?

This one depends largely on goligoski. If he acts studly, then it's a good deal. If he gets exposed as just being the beneficiary of letang/crosby/malkin, then it's a bad deal. I figure Pitt's perspective is to go for it this year and they needed offensive help like there was no tomorrow (see the 1-0 blanking again today). It's a good deal for Pitt, for dallas, we'll see...

EDIT: the ehrhoff deal will net a 2nd rounder in 2012 when white is officially released. So, not nothing, just damn close to it since the pick comes 3-4 years after the deal.

Erhoff didnt have to be dealt in the Heatley deal, then you can think Dwill wouldnt of had to waste money on Walin this season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah kork, you're right. cheech and milan pretty much offset heater's cap hit. It was a bonehead trade all around. Of course, they went to the WCF in the first year without ehrhoff, and if they do something similar or better this season, then the proof is in the pudding. Ehrhoff has not exactly been the super postseason stud in his career.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe from a points perspective, but when other head coaches come and day they try to keep their to players away from erhoff on the playoffs that speaks volumes