• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dae Ho lee Appears to Have Popped His Wad

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 hits in his last 123 at bats for a .203 batting average since June 12th. Three homeruns during that span. Might be time to create an injury for him and get him on the DL so we can call up a more productive bat (if there is one available and I don't think there is in Tacoma. Perhaps off of waivers?).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I expected and predicted, he's become less effective with increased playing time. Adam Lind certainly hasn't been great, but he's still a more dangerous hitter and definitely a better defender.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great snag he made yesterday on the hop at 1st base...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and we need to bring up Vogelsbach. The dude smashes!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great snag he made yesterday on the hop at 1st base...
You mean the one that ended the game? Honestly that was a pretty easy play -- bounced way out in front of him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and we need to bring up Vogelsbach. The dude smashes!
His numbers are down since being in Tacoma. However I really don't think that is a clear indication of the true hitter he is. I really think he could be a very solid hitter moving forward.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the one that ended the game? Honestly that was a pretty easy play -- bounced way out in front of him.

Game on the line though... He still staged the 1 hop which isn't always easy especially under the circumstance..

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I expected and predicted, he's become less effective with increased playing time. Adam Lind certainly hasn't been great, but he's still a more dangerous hitter and definitely a better defender.

Defensive metrics beg to differ. Fangraphs list Lee as an above average fielding first baseman, with a UZR of 2.4. Lind is rated as below average, his UZR is -2.9. And for as bad and as long as Lee has been slumping his WAR is still 0.3 on the season compared to Lind's -0.5. But the truth of the matter is the Mariners need to get more production from first base. Neither guy is cutting it at this point, not for a team looking to make a push for the playoffs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look like this thread was a forbearer of the future. Dae Ho Lee was optioned out yesterday. When I saw Romero in the lineup last night, I didn't know who he replaced but didn't think would be Lee. It would nice to see Romero get over the mental hurdle from AAA to majors. He has the talent.

Dipoto and Servais are showing that they are not willing to pamper under-performing veterans as Aoki, Walker and now Lee have all seen time in Tacoma. I like it. No one's job should be safe on a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 15 years.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive metrics beg to differ. Fangraphs list Lee as an above average fielding first baseman, with a UZR of 2.4. Lind is rated as below average, his UZR is -2.9. And for as bad and as long as Lee has been slumping his WAR is still 0.3 on the season compared to Lind's -0.5. But the truth of the matter is the Mariners need to get more production from first base. Neither guy is cutting it at this point, not for a team looking to make a push for the playoffs.
Lind is definitely not hitting up to his career norms, no argument there. The defensive metrics are mildly interesting I guess....just going by the simple eyeball test, Lind looks like a better defender. Not fast but certainly faster than Lee, and not a freak athlete but certainly more athletic than Lee.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lind is definitely not hitting up to his career norms, no argument there. The defensive metrics are mildly interesting I guess....just going by the simple eyeball test, Lind looks like a better defender. Not fast but certainly faster than Lee, and not a freak athlete but certainly more athletic than Lee.
Lind is sure as hell hitting better than Lee too. His home run that seemed like the cherry on top was actually a game winner last night. Steady playing time for Romero should increase his chances of succeeding like he has in the minors too. Now we need to do something with Guti, he is a lineup killer right now.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'll be the first to admit that no one single metric is the be all end all. It's just interesting to look at, because before I looked, I would have agreed with you.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'll be the first to admit that no one single metric is the be all end all. It's just interesting to look at, because before I looked, I would have agreed with you.
Yeah, I hear ya. I think if you're not able to watch any of the games, then relying on those "advanced stats" or whatever is very useful. But I don't think they should always replace what you can see with your own eyes. For example, I know Kyle Seager is a very good defensive player, even though it probably wouldn't be hard this year to show numbers that says he's among the worst at his position.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look like this thread was a forbearer of the future. Dae Ho Lee was optioned out yesterday. When I saw Romero in the lineup last night, I didn't know who he replaced but didn't think would be Lee. It would nice to see Romero get over the mental hurdle from AAA to majors. He has the talent.

Dipoto and Servais are showing that they are not willing to pamper under-performing veterans as Aoki, Walker and now Lee have all seen time in Tacoma. I like it. No one's job should be safe on a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 15 years.
Romero has been a guy that I have always thought would be able to perform at the MLB level. I have seen a lot of him through the years and was always impressed with him. However he has struggled hitting major league pitching for whatever reason. It would be great to see him prove himself, my personal feeling is that this is his last shot with the M's.

On your second statement, I agree 100%. I like it too. A lot of guys through the years (especially with this org.) have been given a pass to fail. I think you can put Zunino in that category also, then he got demoted and is now hitting much more along the lines of expectations than he was. I have no doubt that Dipoto and Servais will continue to hold players accountable for their performance.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romero has been a guy that I have always thought would be able to perform at the MLB level. I have seen a lot of him through the years and was always impressed with him. However he has struggled hitting major league pitching for whatever reason. It would be great to see him prove himself, my personal feeling is that this is his last shot with the M's.

On your second statement, I agree 100%. I like it too. A lot of guys through the years (especially with this org.) have been given a pass to fail. I think you can put Zunino in that category also, then he got demoted and is now hitting much more along the lines of expectations than he was. I have no doubt that Dipoto and Servais will continue to hold players accountable for their performance.

I think a lot of the reason he struggles is because his playing time is so inconsistent. He got called up to the M's last week, played in one game, went 1-2 with a walk, sat on the bench for the next 3 days and then got sent back down. The Mariners do this with their young guys all the time, I know I've said it before. They'll tear up AAA, get called up and play twice a week and hit .150 because they're playing so infrequently. The Mariners go, well he's clearly not ready and send him back down, despite the fact they never actually gave him a chance to prove if he is ready or not.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a big Romero fan personally. .195/.242/.307 line in his 94 career games with only 4 HRs during that span. He has hit damn well in Tacoma, but the results just haven't been there in the bigs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the reason he struggles is because his playing time is so inconsistent. He got called up to the M's last week, played in one game, went 1-2 with a walk, sat on the bench for the next 3 days and then got sent back down. The Mariners do this with their young guys all the time, I know I've said it before. They'll tear up AAA, get called up and play twice a week and hit .150 because they're playing so infrequently. The Mariners go, well he's clearly not ready and send him back down, despite the fact they never actually gave him a chance to prove if he is ready or not.

To me, it's not just hit playing time, it's really not much different than Adam Jones. A great AAA player, gets called up, barely plays gets sent back to the minors and then learns new positions. Eventually I'd wish they'd let guys sink or swim not brought up to platoon.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree, I mentioned something along those lines a couple seasons ago when Romero first got called up. This is a guy that has played all over the place defensively through his minor league career almost as if they are trying to force him into a position that makes sense for the major league team yet once they call him up he plays once a week and rides pine the majority of the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else and succeed.