• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D-Law's Contract.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarcus Lawrence

I like it.
31.1 1st year. instead of being backloaded. Always a fan of that.
If he got lazy & injured. 4th & 5th years are cuttable.
4th year 19 mil base & 5th year 21 mil. makes so he wont be like so many players & get lazy. No one wants to leave 40 mil on the table.

think this contract is written out smartly. :thumb:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys have been the best ran franchise in the league the last 5 years, From an old team in cap Hell to a talented young team, drafting well, with cap flexibility. Bravo

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarcus Lawrence

I like it.
4th year 19 mil base & 5th year 21 mil. makes so he wont be like so many players & get lazy. No one wants to leave 40 mil on the table.

I miss understood this too.

That 31M Year one is his Salary and the 25M signing bonus. Years 4 and 5 are 20M each, but not guaranteed

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss understood this too.

That 31M Year one is his Salary and the 25M signing bonus. Years 4 and 5 are 20M each, but not guaranteed
48 mil 1st two years are guaranteed.
$48M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary + 2019 roster bonus + 2020 salary)

then we get to decide by march of 2020 if we want to make the 2021 salary guaranteed (17 mil.)

no guarantees in 4th & 5th year.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
48 mil 1st two years are guaranteed.
$48M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary + 2019 roster bonus + 2020 salary)

then we get to decide by march of 2020 if we want to make the 2021 salary guaranteed (17 mil.)

no guarantees in 4th & 5th year.
Yep, years 1, 2 and 3 along with his signing bonus (25M) are guaranteed. He can be released after year 3 with a 10M cap hit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMarcus Lawrence

I like it.

It is backloaded. First year is only like $11M cap hit. So not really smart when our big expenses are down the road. But, the big difference between backloading Tank's contract today vs what the Cowboys did in the past or what Philly is doing now is we aren't doing it to get under the cap and will roll savings into next year. We have about $15M in cap space right now I think. We could put an additional $5M onto Tank's year 1 cap hit and roll $5M less into next year or we could do what we just did. Either way ends up exactly the same in the long run. Philly is backloading and restructuring like we used to because that is the only way to fit the contracts in under this year's cap and that is very poor cap management by Philly. But, my biggest problem was always the restructures because they created so much dead money and forced us to take a huge cap hit to release a guy or overpay him to stay. That obviously isn't the case here.

Totally agree with you on years 4 and 5 being "cut years" if his production no longer matches his salary and especially year 5. I suspect he doesn't see that year. Could realistically be a 4 year $84M contract with $5M in dead money in year 5.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is backloaded. First year is only like $11M cap hit. So not really smart when our big expenses are down the road. But, the big difference between backloading Tank's contract today vs what the Cowboys did in the past or what Philly is doing now is we aren't doing it to get under the cap and will roll savings into next year. We have about $15M in cap space right now I think. We could put an additional $5M onto Tank's year 1 cap hit and roll $5M less into next year or we could do what we just did. Either way ends up exactly the same in the long run. Philly is backloading and restructuring like we used to because that is the only way to fit the contracts in under this year's cap and that is very poor cap management by Philly. But, my biggest problem was always the restructures because they created so much dead money and forced us to take a huge cap hit to release a guy or overpay him to stay. That obviously isn't the case here.

Totally agree with you on years 4 and 5 being "cut years" if his production no longer matches his salary and especially year 5. I suspect he doesn't see that year. Could realistically be a 4 year $84M contract with $5M in dead money in year 5.
I think they structured it this way because they plan to lock up either Dak or Zeke, most likely Dak this offseason. That's the only way that clearing the extra money this year makes sense, unless they plan to trade for a guy like Gerald McCoy to a one year and go all in for a Super Bowl this year

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is backloaded.
I get what your saying, but what I mean backloaded, is your basic unrealistic balloon payment.
19 mil. & 21 mil is on the avg or under the avg per year of contract. & my favorite part none guaranteed. it is enough money for D-Law to continue to play hard for. Cheap for us by that time. & still cuttable if he slacks off or is injured or something.
Cap hit wise yes. your cap hit is almost always at its lowest in the 1st year, but contract wise. Almost a 3rd of the money was paid up front. Which means we dont have to figure out how to fit the money in late in the contract. Just your standard spread the signing bonus amongst the 5 years, capwise.

In short. For a 105 mil contract. I like this contracts layout.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jarntt, we should have a discussion about this somewhere else but what Philly is doing with their contracts is not like what Dallas used to do. Howie Roseman isn’t in the elite league of drafting but he has this cap figured out probably better every other team. There are articles out there where Howie finds loop holes and exploits them. The Eagles will have cap issues because of Wentz... there is no loop holes to that. But... they aren’t going to have any issues with what they are doing now. He literally just wrote a contract where lowering the cap that says, “If you make the team next year you will be automatically cut”. Somehow it scams the system.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. He is seriously hurting future years just to cram everyone he can onto the team today. It's Math and it's kicking the can down the road. There is zero genius involved

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. He is seriously hurting future years just to cram everyone he can onto the team today. It's Math and it's kicking the can down the road. There is zero genius involved

You really need to read up on it. You are wrong, respectfully. One huge difference is Dallas had mega contracts to mediocre, flash in the pan players, Philly only renegotiated with superstars that will still be on the team. We won’t be paying Miles Austin 10 mill to play for another team. 2020 might be an uncapped year and he has a strategy tied into that. He has always done this and never got in trouble for 10 years. He is a genius when it comes to the cap. Just wish he could draft like Dallas but he has the system beat. He all ready figured out how to scam the comp pick system. He’s really fantastic at cap management

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you have because he is the first to do this.
ok I dont want to go round & round with you on what I know here.
you are now telling me what I know & dont know or heard or havent heard? (or read)

there is a D-Law contract thread on the main board you can high jack to talk same eagle crap we have debated into circles in the past.
This one on the boys board is about D-Law & his contract.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are stupid for continuing to pitch to this guy with men on base

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I dont want to go round & round with you on what I know here.
you are now telling me what I know & dont know or heard or havent heard? (or read)

there is a D-Law contract thread on the main board you can high jack to talk same eagle crap we have debated into circles in the past.
This one on the boys board is about D-Law & his contract.

That’s cool and I respect that and understand this isn’t an Eagles board. I was addressing what Jarntt said about the Eagles. This is new though and teams haven’t done this before. He is probably the best cap guy in the league and every year he finds a loop hole.