• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D.J. Swearinger

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was just released from the Redskins after question his DC play calling following the game... Curious to know if Pete would have interest in him... Dude is a pro bowler and we have a huge need at Safety atm...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids played pretty well last night.

I don't know squat about Swearinger, he was great in Deadwood.

Can he kick FG's? :)

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put him in the "loud personality" category, so I'm expecting he won't get much of a look here.

Oakland seems about right.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put him in the "loud personality" category, so I'm expecting he won't get much of a look here.

Oakland seems about right.

This was my initial thought as well.

Although giving it a bit more thought, the Seahawks wouldn't really need to commit to him for long. Would merely be a guy who could be here during our playoff run.

I know the Seahawks have tried to move away from the "loud personality" types, but I can't imagine that could cause the team much damage over such a short tenure with the team. Hell, he's only 27 and if the try-out with the Seahawks goes well he could be a candidate for a longer-term extension with the Seahawks given our need at safety right now.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was my initial thought as well.

Although giving it a bit more thought, the Seahawks wouldn't really need to commit to him for long. Would merely be a guy who could be here during our playoff run.

I know the Seahawks have tried to move away from the "loud personality" types, but I can't imagine that could cause the team much damage over such a short tenure with the team. Hell, he's only 27 and if the try-out with the Seahawks goes well he could be a candidate for a longer-term extension with the Seahawks given our need at safety right now.
I wouldn't flip a table or anything if it happened, but it seems like more of a 2 years ago move. You bring up solid points.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how would that affect our salary cap? I assume if we claim him off waivers then the remainder of this contract would count against our cap right?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how would that affect our salary cap? I assume if we claim him off waivers then the remainder of this contract would count against our cap right?

Not sure how the process works.

Seahawks currently have $4.5m in cap space available. Hypothetically speaking if the Seahawks claimed him off waivers and became responsible for his contract, his cap hit in 2018 would be $4.3m which I'd assume would be prorated over the one regular season game remaining (so $270k if that is how it works).

Under that assumption that we become responsible for the contract he signed with the Redskins, we'd be on the hook for a $5.8m cap hit in 2019. That's pretty reasonable for a guy who graded as PFF's #10 safety.

If his behavior became too much for the team to handle, the Seahawks could cut him in 2019 and clear $4.5m in cap space and take on $1.3m in dead money.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial concern would be the reason he was released in the first place which is being vocal towards his defensive coordinator which is a rule one violator in Pete’s locker room. Make no mistake about it, Pete’s culture breeds vocal players so it’s only a matter of time there will be a few back in there. The question is how do the vocal leaders choose to express themselves? In the case of Sherman, Lynch, and Earl they were rule one violators; Lynch rarely spoke but he chose the middle finger to express his displeasures. You now have guys like Frank Clark who defend his team as loud as those others shit on this team. My point is that being a vocal leader isn’t a bad thing because this culture allows it. DJ Swearinger could be a huge addition for this run, and sometimes it’s giving up a 4th round pick for a disruptive hall of fame running back that gets you a super bowl title. Don’t sleep on Pete and John, it’s all about calculated risks and this may just be one worth taking.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporting he signed with Arizona

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporting he signed with Arizona
Just in time to help us step on our cranks and drop to the 6 seed.

;)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial concern would be the reason he was released in the first place which is being vocal towards his defensive coordinator which is a rule one violator in Pete’s locker room. Make no mistake about it, Pete’s culture breeds vocal players so it’s only a matter of time there will be a few back in there. The question is how do the vocal leaders choose to express themselves? In the case of Sherman, Lynch, and Earl they were rule one violators; Lynch rarely spoke but he chose the middle finger to express his displeasures. You now have guys like Frank Clark who defend his team as loud as those others shit on this team. My point is that being a vocal leader isn’t a bad thing because this culture allows it. DJ Swearinger could be a huge addition for this run, and sometimes it’s giving up a 4th round pick for a disruptive hall of fame running back that gets you a super bowl title. Don’t sleep on Pete and John, it’s all about calculated risks and this may just be one worth taking.

that is what I always say when a player gets released before the season ends there is a huge red flag that we do not know about. The redskins season is over the fact they couldn't wait one more game and be done with him in the offseason tells me there is something going on.

Im sure the cardinals claimed him so he can be on the roster next season I doubt he will play a ton the final game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is what I always say when a player gets released before the season ends there is a huge red flag that we do not know about. The redskins season is over the fact they couldn't wait one more game and be done with him in the offseason tells me there is something going on.

Im sure the cardinals claimed him so he can be on the roster next season I doubt he will play a ton the final game.
If the Redskins' season wasn't over then I think there may have been a much greater chance they would figure out how to put up with him for a few weeks longer. Maybe it's just pure coincidence they waited until now to let him go, but I wouldn't bet much on that. If they were still alive for the playoffs and they thought he could help them get there, then I think he would still be on the team.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how the process works.

Seahawks currently have $4.5m in cap space available. Hypothetically speaking if the Seahawks claimed him off waivers and became responsible for his contract, his cap hit in 2018 would be $4.3m which I'd assume would be prorated over the one regular season game remaining (so $270k if that is how it works).

Under that assumption that we become responsible for the contract he signed with the Redskins, we'd be on the hook for a $5.8m cap hit in 2019. That's pretty reasonable for a guy who graded as PFF's #10 safety.

If his behavior became too much for the team to handle, the Seahawks could cut him in 2019 and clear $4.5m in cap space and take on $1.3m in dead money.

I think the only mistake on this is that Washington already ate his dead money - so the Cardinals would only pick up his salary, not his signing bonus. So, if the Cards cut him - it nets them the full $4.5 million.