• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Current versus classic rock music

which is better music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a little kid, I remember plugging over-the-ear headphones into the stereo, putting those two albums on and analyzing the album covers as I listened... ...some of my earliest memories that still stick with me.

We had this old Philco receiver that my parents bought some time in the early 70's; the speakers were 3 feet high and it had a turntable plus 8-track. Like Beardown said, tv was shit back then, so I spent most of my free time outside, or listening to albums. The vast majority of it was British Invasion and Southern Rock.

For a long time, those old albums were very nostalgic for me, but then there came a point where they just reminded me of how painful my childhood was. Plus, my tastes changed.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Scorpions had allot of good music in the 70's.
As far as radio, I listened to K-She 95 out of St. Louis. great station. They mixed in some 80's with classic 60's and 70's rock. No pop crap like Madonna.

The station I remember the most was 99.7, WROQ, out of Charlotte. They played mostly classic rock and hair metal... and they eventually lured John Boy and Billy away from a pop/Top 40 station to be their morning program. Those guys were hilarious.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock died in the late 90's with MTV.
Pretty much. Napster and demographic changes mostly killed rock as far as I can tell.

There is some rock music out there but its not at all like it used to be.

We're also really hard on rock music because there is so much of it out there already. Greta Van Fleet gets a ton of crap but I don't remember Oasis getting a ton of crap for trying to be a Beatles cover band. In five years, we'll be hearing Oasis on classic rock stations.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had this old Philco receiver that my parents bought some time in the early 70's; the speakers were 3 feet high and it had a turntable plus 8-track. Like Beardown said, tv was shit back then, so I spent most of my free time outside, or listening to albums. The vast majority of it was British Invasion and Southern Rock.

For a long time, those old albums were very nostalgic for me, but then there came a point where they just reminded me of how painful my childhood was. Plus, my tastes changed.

My parents didn't care much for British Invasion or Southern Rock. My father was more into experimental rock like Frank Zappa than mainstream stuff. My mother was more into the mainstream modern (at the time) rock like Journey and Boston.

My musical tastes have changed several times as well as popular culture has changed. Looking back and analyzing, I've always had a deep embedded loathing for popular culture. I don't know why, it's just me. The raw hardness of that original Kiss and VH stuff is what appealed to me - it was music that was out of the mainstream and shunned by the general population at the time. As both bands became popular, I lost interest.

For a time after that, I kinda got into Weird Al because he kinda mocked pop music. Then he became popular for mocking pop music and I lost interest. Then I got into the Beastie Boys because they were the anti-pop shunned renegades. Rap stayed largely shunned in pop culture throughout the 90's and that's what I primarily stuck with during that time. Then in the early 2000s Eminem got hugely popular by mocking pop stars and Outkast won a Grammy and I migrated to metal. So far, I haven't heard Slipknot in a Burger King, so I think I'm safe there for a little while.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, I haven't heard Slipknot in a Burger King, so I think I'm safe there for a little while.

....and if you do, you can always get into different styles of metal. There's so much out there.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vintage Caravan?
They're alright. I think of them as Prog Rock mixed with Pyschadelic er something.

Mastodon comes to mind, even tho they are more on the Prog side than most, but they are at the top of their game.

Some "new" stuff that is pretty good...All Them Witches..Windhand...Stoned Jesus, High on Fire, Red Fang...all in the 2000s.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya...when I was a kid, all we had was the radio, maybe we could go buy a 33 or a 45 if we came into some money. Today kids have the internet and all the streaming services, and it's all based on singles. In previous decades, you could buy and enjoy an entire album, and most of it would never even hit the radio. But those commercial hit songs where what got you into the group.

I grew up listening to stuff that was produced in the late 60's and early 70's, but there came a time in the 80's when the pop music sucked so bad... I stopped listening to radio entirely, and only played what music I already owned in cassettes or CD's. As a result, I skipped right past some decent 90's or early 2000's bands, which I will pick up here and there occasionally.

Cage the Elephant is one of the newer bands that I like a lot. I heard them the first time because my iHeartRadio app said "you should listen to this."
MV5BOTUxNTk0MjEtZjQ5Yi00ODBhLTlkY2YtMDJhOWZmNDM1YWJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
@Used 2 B Hu =Old AF

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're alright. I think of them as Prog Rock mixed with Pyschadelic er something.

Mastodon comes to mind, even tho they are more on the Prog side than most, but they are at the top of their game.

Some "new" stuff that is pretty good...All Them Witches..Windhand...Stoned Jesus, High on Fire, Red Fang...all in the 2000s.

Don't know Stoned Jesus, but agree on the rest. Just picked up Windhand a few months back.