• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Current versus classic rock music

which is better music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree. The stuff we heard on the airwaves in the 80's was basically music soundtrack pop. But I couldn't bring myself to listen to alternative or punk back then, because all the weird goth kids at school were into it (while the "cool" kids were still listening to Skynyrd).

Like I mentioned, I got into some of it later on, when i stopped caring what people thought of me.

And I've never cared for Hair Metal, because those guys were generally more flash than talent. Cinderella, Poison, RATT, WASP, Faster Pussycat, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant, White Lion, Whitesnake, Great White...I could go on.

I loved 80's hard rock (don't like your term, lol), but I was at the right age for all of that AND learning guitar at the same time (graduated HS in '88).

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, and I buy CDs pretty much every week (new and used). Part of it is collecting too.

I hit up the thrift shops nearly every week looking for 1$ CD's. I'm starting to have a nice collection at my desk, because the old lady done already tole me not to bring any more home

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cage the Elephant is one of the newer bands that I like a lot. I heard them the first time because my iHeartRadio app said "you should listen to this."

Curiously enough, the song that triggered me to buy their first album was based on a slide guitar part that sounded bluesy (not a new sound at all, lol); Ain't No Rest For The Wicked.

A lot of the newer bands I like sound like older bands: Rival Sons, The Temperance Movement, Black Keys, JD McPherson, etc.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even necessarily rapid, as some of the most popular stuff (like Drake) is monotone, slow, and BORING. I guess if you force feed it enough, kids will come back for more?

I'm thankful that I was never a kid.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hit up the thrift shops nearly every week looking for 1$ CD's. I'm starting to have a nice collection at my desk, because the old lady done already tole me not to bring any more home

I'm building 2 new wall racks for CDs (8300+ and counting, and that's not counting the box full of live bootlegs in paper sleeves that a coworker gave me recently; still have to sort through all of that). It's a good thing I'm single, lol...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved 80's hard rock (don't like your term, lol), but I was at the right age for all of that AND learning guitar at the same time (graduated HS in '88).

Wow, you sound like me: I also graduated in 88 and was learning bass during HS... but my guitar instructor was a 60's rock guy. He hated all those 80's bands. I had lots of friends who listened to them but I just didn't like it.

My parents and older sibs also had a lot of 60's/70's albums, either on vinyl or 8-track. I spent a lot of weekends alone in the house just playing music

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm building 2 new wall racks for CDs (8300+ and counting,

Holy SHIT

For a while I had an iPod mini, and I put a lot of my favorite CD's on it, then got rid of the hard copies. I regret that. That thing's full and the battery is dying, so I can hardly use it anymore. Don't care to buy a new one, I like putting a disc into a player.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree. The stuff we heard on the airwaves in the 80's was basically music soundtrack pop. But I couldn't bring myself to listen to alternative or punk back then, because all the weird goth kids at school were into it (while the "cool" kids were still listening to Skynyrd).

Like I mentioned, I got into some of it later on, when i stopped caring what people thought of me.

And I've never cared for Hair Metal, because those guys were generally more flash than talent. Cinderella, Poison, RATT, WASP, Faster Pussycat, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant, White Lion, Whitesnake, Great White...I could go on.
But see, all those hair bands were what was played on the radio. (Scorpions are awesome, ftr.) Meanwhile, Metallica was at their best, Megadeth, Slayer...lot's of good stuff that you had to look for.

Mid to late 80's has some of my favorites.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you sound like me: I also graduated in 88 and was learning bass during HS... but my guitar instructor was a 60's rock guy. He hated all those 80's bands. I had lots of friends who listened to them but I just didn't like it.

My parents and older sibs also had a lot of 60's/70's albums, either on vinyl or 8-track. I spent a lot of weekends alone in the house just playing music

That's where we differ; the teachers at the shop I went to were all in hard rock bands, and I'm the oldest of my siblings. My mother had a few records around, but not much of interest other than a copy of School's Out. I started with Kiss pretty early on (we did the whole makeup deal on Halloween with the "official" Kiss makeup kit, lol)>

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy SHIT

For a while I had an iPod mini, and I put a lot of my favorite CD's on it, then got rid of the hard copies. I regret that. That thing's full and the battery is dying, so I can hardly use it anymore. Don't care to buy a new one, I like putting a disc into a player.

Yeah, it's a bit of a sickness at this point, but it's really the only thing I spend much money on, other than an occasional concert. These two new racks will go up next to the 4 I already have lol. Not much free wall space in my bedroom left....

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a bit of a sickness at this point, but it's really the only thing I spend much money on, other than an occasional concert. These two new racks will go up next to the 4 I already have lol. Not much free wall space in my bedroom left....

Fer realz...I need a support group en shit

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see, all those hair bands were what was played on the radio. (Scorpions are awesome, ftr.) Meanwhile, Metallica was at their best, Megadeth, Slayer...lot's of good stuff that you had to look for.

Mid to late 80's has some of my favorites.

It didn't get played on the radio much here (other than bands like Van Halen and the Scorpions), but it was all over MTV. Radio seemed to adapt better to the 90's "grunge"/alternative scene better locally than the 80's hard rock stuff.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Scorpions had allot of good music in the 70's.
As far as radio, I listened to K-She 95 out of St. Louis. great station. They mixed in some 80's with classic 60's and 70's rock. No pop crap like Madonna.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't get played on the radio much here (other than bands like Van Halen and the Scorpions), but it was all over MTV. Radio seemed to adapt better to the 90's "grunge"/alternative scene better locally than the 80's hard rock stuff.
Headbanger's Ball was a legitimate source for bands. I didn't have MTV tho. Most of my viewing of that was thru friends or my Aunt's house.

We were poor fucks with like 3 channels and fucking tinfoiled rabbit ears en sech

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm building 2 new wall racks for CDs (8300+ and counting, and that's not counting the box full of live bootlegs in paper sleeves that a coworker gave me recently; still have to sort through all of that). It's a good thing I'm single, lol...
Wall racks that display the CD cover I hope. Those are the best. Especially for vinyl albums.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wall racks that display the CD cover I hope. Those are the best. Especially for vinyl albums.

No room for that. These are bookshelves for CDs. Spine is visible only. My only displayed album artworks currently are two autographed vinyls; Yngwie and Smashing Pumpkins (ones I found locally). I do have some auto'd CDs, but they're too small to really display well (including a recent gift - Tenacious D).

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where we differ; the teachers at the shop I went to were all in hard rock bands, and I'm the oldest of my siblings. My mother had a few records around, but not much of interest other than a copy of School's Out. I started with Kiss pretty early on (we did the whole makeup deal on Halloween with the "official" Kiss makeup kit, lol)>

Interesting coincidence. My father had Kiss' "Alive II" and "Van Halen" on vinyl. ...That's where I started. He had a bunch of other stuff like Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. but none of that ever stuck with me... it was all just 'meh, whatever' to me. As a little kid, I remember plugging over-the-ear headphones into the stereo, putting those two albums on and analyzing the album covers as I listened... ...some of my earliest memories that still stick with me.

Note: Kiss and VH are no where near my favorite bands, it's just my 'Origins' story.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headbanger's Ball was a legitimate source for bands. I didn't have MTV tho. Most of my viewing of that was thru friends or my Aunt's house.

We were poor fucks with like 3 channels and fucking tinfoiled rabbit ears en sech

This...I never watched MTV during their heyday. I think the first time I watched it was in college, and by then, half their programming was "The Real World"