• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Current versus classic rock music

which is better music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of good rock in the 50's.
The 60's was great, especially after 67.
The 70's was the best decade for rock. Great stuff put out for everyone.
The 80's was good.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary to tune on "Music Choice" on Cox cable and "Rock" is Death Metal, Thrash, etc....

Lenny Kravitz? Nope. Alice Cooper? Nope. Paul Rodgers? Nope. Robin Trower? Nope.

These are as "Rock" as you can get....but don't make the cut?

That's classic rock, and there's a Music Choice channel for that. Robin Trower may be a little obscure for radio in most cases however.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These days, anything rock that's interesting is nowhere near the radio. There's an occasional crossover, like Black Keys, Cage The Elephant or Tame Impala (although I prefer their more guitar oriented stuff), but for the most part you're going to get Imagine Dragons and that kind of dreck. They seem to rewrite the same song over and over and play it endlessly.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old versus new music debate is very similar to the old versus new sports debate. Technologies have advanced, causing things to evolve - some for the better and some for the worse.

Ultimately, though, music is 100% personal and the reason so many genres exist and flourish is because different sound assemblies appeal to different people. It's like debating which color is better - blue or green.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The old versus new music debate is very similar to the old versus new sports debate. Technologies have advanced, causing things to evolve - some for the better and some for the worse.

Ultimately, though, music is 100% personal and the reason so many genres exist and flourish is because different sound assemblies appeal to different people. It's like debating which color is better - blue or green.

To a degree. The problem is that there is no outlet for real rock music anymore, largely due to monopolizing companies that plan out play lists by ratings charts. Even classic rock channels are reluctant to play new material from those same classic artists (or even deep cuts) for exactly the same reasons.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a degree. The problem is that there is no outlet for real rock music anymore, largely due to monopolizing companies that plan out play lists by ratings charts. Even classic rock channels are reluctant to play new material from those same classic artists (or even deep cuts) for exactly the same reasons.

Another thing: Most un-young music fanciers have 100 gigs of their favorite music on some kind of an iPod. I will not live long enough to listen to half of my library again. When I find some time for music, I'm not going to "waste" my limited time on unknown stuff.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing: Most un-young music fanciers have 100 gigs of their favorite music on some kind of an iPod. I will not live long enough to listen to half of my library again. When I find some time for music, I'm not going to "waste" my limited time on unknown stuff.

You sound like a radio station.

Like, let's hear Stairway to Heaven one more time before we die.

I'm just the opposite. I'm addicted to new music.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These days, anything rock that's interesting is nowhere near the radio. There's an occasional crossover, like Black Keys, Cage The Elephant or Tame Impala (although I prefer their more guitar oriented stuff), but for the most part you're going to get Imagine Dragons and that kind of dreck. They seem to rewrite the same song over and over and play it endlessly.

I hear ya...when I was a kid, all we had was the radio, maybe we could go buy a 33 or a 45 if we came into some money. Today kids have the internet and all the streaming services, and it's all based on singles. In previous decades, you could buy and enjoy an entire album, and most of it would never even hit the radio. But those commercial hit songs where what got you into the group.

I grew up listening to stuff that was produced in the late 60's and early 70's, but there came a time in the 80's when the pop music sucked so bad... I stopped listening to radio entirely, and only played what music I already owned in cassettes or CD's. As a result, I skipped right past some decent 90's or early 2000's bands, which I will pick up here and there occasionally.

Cage the Elephant is one of the newer bands that I like a lot. I heard them the first time because my iHeartRadio app said "you should listen to this."

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya...when I was a kid, all we had was the radio, maybe we could go buy a 33 or a 45 if we came into some money. Today kids have the internet and all the streaming services, and it's all based on singles. In previous decades, you could buy and enjoy an entire album, and most of it would never even hit the radio. But those commercial hit songs where what got you into the group.

I grew up listening to stuff that was produced in the late 60's and early 70's, but there came a time in the 80's when the pop music sucked so bad... I stopped listening to radio entirely, and only played what music I already owned in cassettes or CD's. As a result, I skipped right past some decent 90's or early 2000's bands, which I will pick up here and there occasionally.

Cage the Elephant is one of the newer bands that I like a lot. I heard them the first time because my iHeartRadio app said "you should listen to this."

80's forced you to search for music. Magazines were a decent source for "alternative" music, and by alternative I mean, as opposed to the shit on the radio. Punk, metal and underground alternative had some great shit in the 80's. The 80's is were the radio went to complete shit. All the best bands from the 80's got zero coverage. It's a great era tho, if ya dig deep enough.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today, a good deal of new "music" is RapidRhyming.

- no bueno -

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80's forced you to search for music. Magazines were a decent source for "alternative" music, and by alternative I mean, as opposed to the shit on the radio. Punk, metal and underground alternative had some great shit in the 80's. The 80's is were the radio went to complete shit. All the best bands from the 80's got zero coverage. It's a great era tho, if ya dig deep enough.

agree. The stuff we heard on the airwaves in the 80's was basically music soundtrack pop. But I couldn't bring myself to listen to alternative or punk back then, because all the weird goth kids at school were into it (while the "cool" kids were still listening to Skynyrd).

Like I mentioned, I got into some of it later on, when i stopped caring what people thought of me.

And I've never cared for Hair Metal, because those guys were generally more flash than talent. Cinderella, Poison, RATT, WASP, Faster Pussycat, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant, White Lion, Whitesnake, Great White...I could go on.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree. The stuff we heard on the airwaves in the 80's was basically music soundtrack pop. But I couldn't bring myself to listen to alternative or punk back then, because all the weird goth kids at school were into it (while the "cool" kids were still listening to Skynyrd).

Like I mentioned, I got into some of it later on, when i stopped caring what people thought of me.

And I've never cared for Hair Metal, because those guys were generally more flash than talent. Cinderella, Poison, RATT, WASP, Faster Pussycat, Scorpions, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Warrant, White Lion, Whitesnake, Great White...I could go on.

Music videos kinda shifted the emphasis away from the music.