• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Current versus classic rock music

which is better music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My most recent one is actually this:

Here is some stuff I was listening to in 2017:

'tHoop Album of the Year

Obviously classic rock is better but I'm at least open to trying to find new thing to listen to on my commute.

I've pretty much gone over to classical music (Beethoven, Schubert, Haydn, etc.), which I listen to ca. 75% of the time.

I listen to classic rock when on the treadmill, mostly: Stones, Traffic, Petty (I've got his entire library), Neil Young, Yes, P-Floyd, Cream, Van Morrison, Eric Burdon, etc.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you have to remember that Classic Rock gives us the best of what was out there. We get spared the crappy "filler" songs that most albums had with a few exceptions.

Today's stuff, I hear some really good songs, and then I hear songs that are incredibly bad, and I know that they will never survive.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you have to remember that Classic Rock gives us the best of what was out there. We get spared the crappy "filler" songs that most albums had with a few exceptions.

Excellent point.

Nevertheless, the current rock I get on Amazon Music and iTunes appalls me.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I severely doubt that even the best rock music survives for more than 25 years, totally unlike classical music which transcends centuries, because people insist on hearing it, from generation to generation.

Perhaps each generation's rock music is the sound track of their now obsolete, coming-of-age reveries.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I severely doubt that even the best rock music survives for more than 25 years, totally unlike classical music which transcends centuries, because people insist on hearing it, from generation to generation.

Perhaps each generation's rock music is the sound track of their now obsolete, coming-of-age reveries.

Lighten up Frances. How many classical pieces do you listen to? Not the standard stuff but the lesser known pieces? Everybody knows the same 10 or 12 "masterpieces" but what happened to the other pieces that were written in that era?

You're comparing a river to a mountain. And one of the key differences is that the musicians playing the classical stuff have maybe an inch of wiggle room in their interpretations because everybody already has in their head how the piece should sound vs modern musicians who put more of a premium on improvisation.

This song has been forgotten but it's impact is alive and well

I'm not saying that classical music "sucks". I'll listen to anything and the guys that can play it professionally are some of the best musicians you can listen to. But I won't dismiss the current musicians trying to do something original.

fear and loathing

American Idle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lighten up Frances. How many classical pieces do you listen to? Not the standard stuff but the lesser known pieces? Everybody knows the same 10 or 12 "masterpieces" but what happened to the other pieces that were written in that era?

I've got 115 gigs on an iPod classic, spanning music from the 14th Century to the present.

You're comparing a river to a mountain. And one of the key differences is that the musicians playing the classical stuff have maybe an inch of wiggle room in their interpretations because everybody already has in their head how the piece should sound vs modern musicians who put more of a premium on improvisation.

I'm not saying that classical music "sucks". I'll listen to anything and the guys that can play it professionally are some of the best musicians you can listen to. But I won't dismiss the current musicians trying to do something original.

The best virtuosos playing compositions from the greatest musical minds is what I most enjoy. I dismiss what leaves me cold.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just jerk off to sheet music. Come on, who's going to ever do something better than a Bach fugue? It's the gentleman's playboy.

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tedeschi Trucks is a newer blues rock band that I like. Derek Trucks is one of the best guitar pickers of all time, and is the son of the Allman Brothers' drummer.

And I'm a fan of Band of Heathens, personally I consider them alternative country, but technically they're a rock band.

If you know where to look, there's good stuff still out there. I have similar views as @beardown07 in that I love the classics, but I crave things I haven't heard before, so I look for new bands that I like. Outlaw Country on SiriusXM has been a big help.

But what makes my situation different is that for many years I was stubborn and said I hated The Rolling Stones and Neil Young for stupid reasons, and again, thanks to Outlaw Country on SiriusXM, I actually listened and now they're two of my all time favorites, and it's all still relatively fresh for me and not ran into the ground like it is for most.
Along the same lines w/ TTB i i would say I enjoy Warren Haynes w/ gov't mule as well.

Tidergirl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we clarify what is clasdic rock. Ive been hearing several grundge era bands on clasdic rock
Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, etc

SnoopHawg

CJK5H@SMU
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,039.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we clarify what is clasdic rock. Ive been hearing several grundge era bands on clasdic rock
Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, etc
I think after 25 years 90s era bands qualify as classic rock.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of "classic rock" from the 80's.

90's would be a better cutoff imo.

People who bitch about "today's music" are lazy in their search.

I have endless GBs of music I haven't even listened to yet.