• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current +4 MLB Draft : CHAT

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad didn't realize I was up... Pick is in...

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Buerle is that Mark's brother

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What have they done, to me, is Championships, and that's where a number isn't just a number. Every player at the big league level had awesome talent, every team has guys who hit 30+ HR's, that get 100 RBI. The difference between winning and losing comes down to those intangibles that put the team first, that can't be measured in a statistical breakdown, and the ability to perform under pressure, which is very real. There are a ton of guys who put up huge, all time numbers during the regular season and fold up like a tent in the post season, and others who are excellent during the season, but even better with the pressure on. Football analogy, Carson Palmer

Then look at situational or playoff stats. Not to mention then you have the whole is being clutch real thing. Championships are what matter but for an individual player championships have far too many factors to be what we judge them by in most cases.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea just because we don't agree, it means we missed the point. :L

You too? It's not about disagreeing, do you not understand that the players that bat around a player can have an effect on his stats? if not then it's not that we don't agree it's that you don't understand.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You too? It's not about disagreeing, do you not understand that the players that bat around a player can have an effect on his stats? if not then it's not that we don't agree it's that you don't understand.

We all understand that they can and likely do have an affect... But how much we will never know... We can only base the player on his actual stats though... Maybe we can understand more by doing so...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We all get that I think that's pretty clear. But the level of that effect is difficult to say. But that's why things like rbis are pretty silly.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all understand that they can and likely do have an affect... But how much we will never know... We can only base the player on his actual stats though... Maybe we can understand more by doing so...

Let's use a prime example. Derek Jeter. Is he Mr. November or Captain Clutch if he played for the Twins his entire career? Does he have 3400 hits if he played for the Pirates his entire career? He is the perfect example of how one can be affected by his team and the players around him. Maybe we can understand more by not living and dying with stats but seeing the entire picture.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's use a prime example. Derek Jeter. Is he Mr. November or Captain Clutch if he played for the Twins his entire career? Does he have 3400 hits if he played for the Pirates his entire career? He is the perfect example of how one can be affected by his team and the players around him. Maybe we can understand more by not living and dying with stats but seeing the entire picture.

And on the other hand by viewing him with the eye test he might look great defensively even though statistically he's a below average defensive SS. I don't think anybody advocates we live and die by stats but I also think they paint a far more detailed picture of reality than the eye test.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And on the other hand by viewing him with the eye test he might look great defensively even though statistically he's a below average defensive SS. I don't think anybody advocates we live and die by stats but I also think they paint a far more detailed picture of reality than the eye test.

Have you met Milk?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, but his ratio stats should be similar to what they were... Just if he played for a lesser team his PA would have been way down... But nobody has questioned this, not sure why you bring it up... Anyone who looks at only one stat you should ignore them anyway... People who look at stats look at numerous stats to get more accurate analysis...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but his ratio stats should be similar to what they were... Just if he played for a lesser team his PA would have been way down... But nobody has questioned this, not sure why you bring it up... Anyone who looks at only one stat you should ignore them anyway... People who look at stats look at numerous stats to get more accurate analysis...

lolzzzzz ok

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you met Milk?

I am not saying watching the game is not important... Watching the game teaches you what to look for... Stats help you actually make the argument...

This is why I suck at basketball, I don't watch the sport enough to know what stats I need to look at to make a good balanced team...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying watching the game is not important... Watching the game teaches you what to look for... Stats help you actually make the argument...

This is why I suck at basketball, I don't watch the sport enough to know what stats I need to look at to make a good balanced team...

I would also argue that stats have varying levels of importance in different sports which makes a difference. Although in all of them, they are extremely informative.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also argue that stats have varying levels of importance in different sports which makes a difference. Although in all of them, they are extremely informative.

I agree... Football there are players that don't accrue any given stats, football you probably look at pro-bowl and all pros more than any other all star game of any other sport we do a mock of...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are amazingly informative if you understand all the factors of how they were obtained.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Analytics doesn't provide for the one important thing the eye test can, which is a winner, intangibles, unselfishness, however you choose to phrase it. Was a player willing to lay down a sac bunt to help win a game? Did he move a runner by hitting a ground ball behind him or strike out swinging for the fences. Did he step up with the game on the line? Numbers tell you what a guy did, but they don't always tell you when he did them

Baseball reference has stats for every kind of situation imaginable. High leverage, low leverage, late and close situations,RISP, stats by inning, ballpark, where they batted in the lineup. IMO unless you have Dr. Phil's degree you can't tell those things you're referencing either.