• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current +4 MLB Draft : CHAT

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That's a bold statement there. And I could not agree less. That's just asking for bias to enter the equation.
It is what it is. Analytics doesn't provide for the one important thing the eye test can, which is a winner, intangibles, unselfishness, however you choose to phrase it. Was a player willing to lay down a sac bunt to help win a game? Did he move a runner by hitting a ground ball behind him or strike out swinging for the fences. Did he step up with the game on the line? Numbers tell you what a guy did, but they don't always tell you when he did them

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is. Analytics doesn't provide for the one important thing the eye test can, which is a winner, intangibles, unselfishness, however you choose to phrase it. Was a player willing to lay down a sac bunt to help win a game? Did he move a runner by hitting a ground ball behind him or strike out swinging for the fences. Did he step up with the game on the line? Numbers tell you what a guy did, but they don't always tell you when he did them

See, I think you get 2 things confused, the eye test and Skill stats are best to predict, but to actually talk about who had the better career or who was the better player, you have to judge by what they actually did on the field...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. But I'm gonna assume that conversation isn't worth it for either of us lol.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same. I wish I still played. Might try to actually all though I don't know how many adult leagues there are available. Maybe you have advice @UK Cowboy ?
There are more men's leagues in major cities, though if you want my advice, if your hardball days are fine, move on to softball. Thinkg about baseball is, if you aren't throwing every day, you are much more likely to tear something throwing in a game because your arm isn't properly strengthened

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I think you get 2 things confused, the eye test and Skill stats are best to predict, but to actually talk about who had the better career or who was the better player, you have to judge by what they actually did on the field...
Promise you, I'm not confused Buck:thumb:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a big fan of the eye test. Baseball has never passed the basketball eye test. Any test that gets it 100% correct is good

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Promise you, I'm not confused Buck:thumb:

UK, I don't question your knowledge... I am sure you know more about baseball than I ever will as you played it competitively and have coached it... I do think people in the know often get confused with who they thing is the better player and who was a better player... I think people like you see nuances and put more weight on them than actual stats sometimes... But at the end of the day a player is their stats...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK, I don't question your knowledge... I am sure you know more about baseball than I ever will as you played it competitively and have coached it... I do think people in the know often get confused with who they thing is the better player and who was a better player... I think people like you see nuances and put more weight on them than actual stats sometimes... But at the end of the day a player is their stats...

One thing you're missing is there are other factors that go into stats, like who's batting behind a certain player. If you play your entire career with Ken Griffey Jr batting behind you, you are likely to see better pitches than if Ken Griffey Sr is batting behind you which would obviously increase your chances of putting up better numbers.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not giving yourself enough credit, from an analytics standpoint, you are top notching. Its the fun of these Mocks IMO, there is no absolute right and wrong answer. The good clubs in the Majors all make sure they have a few guys like you AND a few like me so that they see the whole field

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing you're missing is there are other factors that go into stats, like who's batting behind a certain player. If you play your entire career with Ken Griffey Jr batting behind you, you are likely to see better pitches than if Ken Griffey Sr is batting behind you which would obviously increase your chances of putting up better numbers.

I don't miss that... But at the player still did what he did...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not giving yourself enough credit, from an analytics standpoint, you are top notching. Its the fun of these Mocks IMO, there is no absolute right and wrong answer. The good clubs in the Majors all make sure they have a few guys like you AND a few like me so that they see the whole field

No, I give myself the credit... I have always said I am a stats person... My roommate has played baseball his whole life, we still have conversations about baseball, that's not what I am talking about... Its when he starts talking about how sweet a players swing is, I say yes, that is nice, but what have they done...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I give myself the credit... I have always said I am a stats person... My roommate has played baseball his whole life, we still have conversations about baseball, that's not what I am talking about... Its when he starts talking about how sweet a players swing is, I say yes, that is nice, but what have they done...
What have they done, to me, is Championships, and that's where a number isn't just a number. Every player at the big league level had awesome talent, every team has guys who hit 30+ HR's, that get 100 RBI. The difference between winning and losing comes down to those intangibles that put the team first, that can't be measured in a statistical breakdown, and the ability to perform under pressure, which is very real. There are a ton of guys who put up huge, all time numbers during the regular season and fold up like a tent in the post season, and others who are excellent during the season, but even better with the pressure on. Football analogy, Carson Palmer