• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current +4 MLB Draft : CHAT

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I took so long been having internet issues all day.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is an exception. He wasn't born as a kid that will be 6'4" or throw 95, he's gotten where he is through out working people. And my comments aren't something I pulled out of my ass, I'm repeating what ive been told by MLB scouts and college coaches. I've ran HS Showcase tournaments for years, and coach for MVP Elite and DBat. Our 2 squads from last year have 24 kids that signed college scholarships this year, I'm pretty familiar with what it takes. There are FAR, FAR more kids that dint put the time in to be a great baseball player than those who do. Notice I didn't say football or basketball player.
The most comparable players to the players if the past are the Dominican kids who put in 7-8 hours a day of intense practice time

Every single elder generation person has complained about the work ethic of the newer generation...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest. Baseball bored me out of my damn mind as a kid. Every practice was agony.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single elder generation person has complained about the work ethic of the newer generation...
Well, they did have it harder Milk. Everything today is automated. Back then, everything was manual labor, everything. Take a look at old time players like Mantle, Gehrig and Foxx and pay special attention to their forearms.
My Uncle went to camp with the Reds in the early 70's, passed on a chance to play pro ball to work in the Church and play Pro Softball. When I was in my early 30's, I could bench a little over 400. My biceps were twice his size, but despite working forearms every other day, my Uncles made mine look like pencils. My Pop was the same way. Huge hands and pipes. I think that's why the guys of the past were such tremendously strong hitters

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest. Baseball bored me out of my damn mind as a kid. Every practice was agony.

Whats funny is I was the exact opposite, playing baseball even practicing was my favorite thing in the world to do.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they did have it harder Milk. Everything today is automated. Back then, everything was manual labor, everything. Take a look at old time players like Mantle, Gehrig and Foxx and pay special attention to their forearms.
My Uncle went to camp with the Reds in the early 70's, passed on a chance to play pro ball to work in the Church and play Pro Softball. When I was in my early 30's, I could bench a little over 400. My biceps were twice his size, but despite working forearms every other day, my Uncles made mine look like pencils. My Pop was the same way. Huge hands and pipes. I think that's why the guys of the past were such tremendously strong hitters

But you are comparing apples to oranges here... People back then did much more manual labor, so they had bodies that would help them maximize their potential... Now a days, most people work in offices, so they will never have some muscles that older generations... But that's nothing to do about work ethic... and nothing to do about athletes, that is just about the average joe... You need to put in the work to be successful at anything... Professional athletes, certainly put in their work to become what they are...

I really do think the first thing EVERY coach(no matter what generation) says is how lazy this generation is...

This is actually a similar reason to why I hate the eye test... People tend to remember how hard they worked for something, and glorify it... and then take it out and newer generations anytime they slack off... Like they never slacked off themselves...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a kid it was all about the games although I'm sure I liked it all. But in HS nothing beat being an OF and shaggin a couple fly balls going to take some BP and then standing around with your teamates fielding everyone else's BP. Mind bogglingly simple practices.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are comparing apples to oranges here... People back then did much more manual labor, so they had bodies that would help them maximize their potential... Now a days, most people work in offices, so they will never have some muscles that older generations... But that's nothing to do about work ethic... and nothing to do about athletes, that is just about the average joe... You need to put in the work to be successful at anything... Professional athletes, certainly put in their work to become what they are...

I really do think the first thing EVERY coach(no matter what generation) says is how lazy this generation is...

This is actually a similar reason to why I hate the eye test... People tend to remember how hard they worked for something, and glorify it... and then take it out and newer generations anytime they slack off... Like they never slacked off themselves...
This is one thing you and I will never ever agree on. The eye test is a superior form of evaluation to anything analytical, period

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one thing you and I will never ever agree on. The eye test is a superior form of evaluation to anything analytical, period

Wow. That's a bold statement there. And I could not agree less. That's just asking for bias to enter the equation.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After practice when I was a kid I would have my friends over and they would take turns throwing grounders as hard as they could at me from like 30 feet and our yard wasn't exactly a nice smooth infield, I played 2nd base my entire life until I got into softball then I switched to CF. I honestly can't imagine not loving baseball or thinking it was boring...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a kid it was all about the games although I'm sure I liked it all. But in HS nothing beat being an OF and shaggin a couple fly balls going to take some BP and then standing around with your teamates fielding everyone else's BP. Mind bogglingly simple practices.
This is where many little league and even HS players ruin the game for many players. Practices should always be divided into stations. 1st and 3rd, middle IF, OF, BP and Pitchers/catchers. All this can be accomplished with 2 coaches. Two units in the field with two coaches, a unit conditioning, and a unit in the cage hitting off tees and soft tossing to each other. It's absurd to see one coach hitting fungos all the way around

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone want get me back into the 8th round??

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After practice when I was a kid I would have my friends over and they would take turns throwing grounders as hard as they could at me from like 30 feet and our yard wasn't exactly a nice smooth infield, I played 2nd base my entire life until I got into softball then I switched to CF. I honestly can't imagine not loving baseball or thinking it was boring...

Same. I wish I still played. Might try to actually all though I don't know how many adult leagues there are available. Maybe you have advice @UK Cowboy ?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where many little league and even HS players ruin the game for many players. Practices should always be divided into stations. 1st and 3rd, middle IF, OF, BP and Pitchers/catchers. All this can be accomplished with 2 coaches. Two units in the field with two coaches, a unit conditioning, and a unit in the cage hitting off tees and soft tossing to each other. It's absurd to see one coach hitting fungos all the way around

I assume you meant coaches ruining but yea I agree lol. I mean I enjoyed it in HS and I just love playing baseball but our coaches had some "interesting" ways of coaching lol.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha, half my job is automation. If there is a computer task that has to be done with any regularity I will automate it.