• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current +4 MLB Draft : CHAT

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRADE

Mebert trades David Ortiz 17th and 23rd round picks to Nos for 7th, 11th and 17th round picks.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Greatest sports moment of my fandom was beating that douchebag in the ALCS 03 Game 7 even thought it wasn't a championship. Respect the hell out of him but absolutely dispise him for obvious reasons.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatest sports moment of my fandom was beating that douchebag in the ALCS 03 Game 7 even thought it wasn't a championship. Respect the hell out of him but absolutely dispise him for obvious reasons.

I did not enjoy that lol I hate the Yanks. Love Pedro.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. We are drafting elite players. The level of talent in baseball is not greater now than it was 100 years ago. Athletes are better yes, which is why the sports of football and basketball have changed so drastically. Baseball is a skill sport. The only thing that can make you a great hitter is thousands upon thousands of reps with great mechanics, otherwise, even the greatest athlete in the world can't hit a baseball. Ask Michael Jordan. The reason the players of yesterday were better is simple IMO. They played the game more, they practiced more, from childhood up. Kids today..for the most part...will go work out at the gym, go throw a little and hit a bucket or two...then go play Call of Duty for 4 hours. Back in the day, baseball WAS the video games of today, it's how kids had fun, and the best athletes in the world played baseball, as the NFL and NBA weren't taking the best of the best

I really hate the whole video game and Work ethic point... And pretty sure you just threw it in just to make your point... As you always talk about your son and how Hard working he is... Video games have been THIS popular since the early 90s and maybe even late 80s... And in the 70s Arcades were a popular childrens hangout... So taking it out on this generation is just very cheap... Anyone who is going to be a professional at something we have to assume they put their time into doing it...

You do make a good point about how baseball was THE sport and would take the best athletes... BUT the yester year players were also all white... And it is believed that pitchers(NOT ALL) did not throw as hard as they do in modern baseball...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. We are drafting elite players. The level of talent in baseball is not greater now than it was 100 years ago. Athletes are better yes, which is why the sports of football and basketball have changed so drastically. Baseball is a skill sport. The only thing that can make you a great hitter is thousands upon thousands of reps with great mechanics, otherwise, even the greatest athlete in the world can't hit a baseball. Ask Michael Jordan. The reason the players of yesterday were better is simple IMO. They played the game more, they practiced more, from childhood up. Kids today..for the most part...will go work out at the gym, go throw a little and hit a bucket or two...then go play Call of Duty for 4 hours. Back in the day, baseball WAS the video games of today, it's how kids had fun, and the best athletes in the world played baseball, as the NFL and NBA weren't taking the best of the best

It is not all Athleticism in baseball, but it does not hurt either. There is a reason Bonds batting skills increased the same time his hat size did.

I don't mean this to say he was not good before, but the steroids brought him from Hall of Famer to greatest hitter of all time.

Bond put in the work, but the advantage from steroids took him to the next level.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate the whole video game and Work ethic point... And pretty sure you just threw it in just to make your point... As you always talk about your son and how Hard working he is... Video games have been THIS popular since the early 90s and maybe even late 80s... And in the 70s Arcades were a popular childrens hangout... So taking it out on this generation is just very cheap... Anyone who is going to be a professional at something we have to assume they put their time into doing it...

You do make a good point about how baseball was THE sport and would take the best athletes... BUT the yester year players were also all white... And it is believed that pitchers(NOT ALL) did not throw as hard as they do in modern baseball...
I'm sure you hate it, it's a valid point. My Son is a gym rat, I've coached a lot of them, but it can't be argued that kids today have more time constraints than ever before. My boy works on his game at least an hour a day, besides working out. 100 years ago, kids had 3-4 hours a day
To your point about kids throwing harder, maybe. For every Chapman, I can point out Ryan or Feller or Johnson, who were who all from different decades. I watched Ryan pegging 96-98 in his early 40's. How hard do you really think he was throwing at 22.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not all Athleticism in baseball, but it does not hurt either. There is a reason Bonds batting skills increased the same time his hat size did.

I don't mean this to say he was not good before, but the steroids brought him from Hall of Famer to greatest hitter of all time.

Bond put in the work, but the advantage from steroids took him to the next level.
I will give you Steroids as a reason for insane numbers.... but look at the HR totals since the steroids began getting tested. And many of of current players who have big totals, Bautista, Hell, any Blue Jay, are linked to juice

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets do this! I want Chris Sale, anything I have that is not a wc interest you for him?

I mainly want to trade for an upcoming pick, or trade my upcoming pick for 2 upgrades. Sale wont go anywhere. He was a steal where I got him, IMO

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give you Steroids as a reason for insane numbers.... but look at the HR totals since the steroids began getting tested. And many of of current players who have big totals, Bautista, Hell, any Blue Jay, are linked to juice

It was not just HR's though, Bonds BA and OBP went up. I think it had to do with bat speed, all of his traits that made him a great hitter before got amplified because he was now able to do things athletically that he was unable to before. Raw Athleticism only gets you so far in baseball, but everything is enhanced by it if you put in the time

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mainly want to trade for an upcoming pick, or trade my upcoming pick for 2 upgrades. Sale wont go anywhere. He was a steal where I got him, IMO

I know he was a steal, so now I want to steal him from you! I will give you a hearty hand shake and a thumbs up

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not just HR's though, Bonds BA and OBP went up. I think it had to do with bat speed, all of his traits that made him a great hitter before got amplified because he was now able to do things athletically that he was unable to before. Raw Athleticism only gets you so far in baseball, but everything is enhanced by it if you put in the time
Oh your right, but let me tell us something that is a fact.....80-90% of athletes in the NFL and MLB took performance enhancing drugs in high school or college. It's what it is

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anybody ever read steroids and baseball. Com

Not saying it's right but it has some at least interesting info on how much steroids really matter. Curious on anyone's thoughts if they've seen it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you hate it, it's a valid point. My Son is a gym rat, I've coached a lot of them, but it can't be argued that kids today have more time constraints than ever before. My boy works on his game at least an hour a day, besides working out. 100 years ago, kids had 3-4 hours a day
To your point about kids throwing harder, maybe. For every Chapman, I can point out Ryan or Feller or Johnson, who were who all from different decades. I watched Ryan pegging 96-98 in his early 40's. How hard do you really think he was throwing at 22.

You talk about your son as if he is the exception... He is not... If anyone is going to make it, they need to put their work into it... No matter what era they live in... Children are children... Do you really think they did not waste their time back then either???

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blue Jays are not only roiders but steal signs at home constantly!

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They still have the time though. Some of them choose not to use it. The ones who do rise to the top. I Don't think that's that different from decades ago.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pick Mebert. Teix in his prime is on par with if not better than many 1B picked rounds earlier.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You talk about your son as if he is the exception... He is not... If anyone is going to make it, they need to put their work into it... No matter what era they live in... Children are children... Do you really think they did not waste their time back then either???
He is an exception. He wasn't born as a kid that will be 6'4" or throw 95, he's gotten where he is through out working people. And my comments aren't something I pulled out of my ass, I'm repeating what ive been told by MLB scouts and college coaches. I've ran HS Showcase tournaments for years, and coach for MVP Elite and DBat. Our 2 squads from last year have 24 kids that signed college scholarships this year, I'm pretty familiar with what it takes. There are FAR, FAR more kids that dint put the time in to be a great baseball player than those who do. Notice I didn't say football or basketball player.
The most comparable players to the players if the past are the Dominican kids who put in 7-8 hours a day of intense practice time

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK yer up buddy...