• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cubs at Phillies Series Game Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe adding Manuel has infused enough old championship school into the Dildoes to bring back that type of Phillies baseball. 11-1 asswhippin! We are three back of the Nuts and as the Mutts lose, we add a small sliver of distance out of fourth place.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say its all Cholly....but damn I liked what was seen last night.

One of the (many) issues this year is guys are getting caught far too much by fastballs. Maybe because they are overloaded with analytics and thinking at the plate too much? The Analytics for a player is like salt....a little bit is good, and helps. Any more than that and the dish is ruined.

I am sure Cholly has already come in and reminded them "see the ball, hit the ball". Its that simple.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35-year old Cole made it easy last night. I guess they just left him in to treat Philly. Darvish will be tougher tonight; still, he’s over 4.40 so let’s do it again! Plus Pivetta is still young.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the (many) issues this year is guys are getting caught far too much by fastballs. Maybe because they are overloaded with analytics and thinking at the plate too much? The Analytics for a player is like salt....a little bit is good, and helps. Any more than that and the dish is ruined.

I am sure Cholly has already come in and reminded them "see the ball, hit the ball". Its that simple.
I don't know what Mallee was doing but in my opinion analytics is something to be used by talent evaluators and not something that a major league hitting coach can use to change hitters. By the time a player is in the majors it is very rare to see the kind of changes you would want to make using analytics. In other words, guys like Hoskins and Harper will always have high OBP and guys like Maikel Franco will always have low OBP (unless the hits fall in one year and he bats .315 or something). The hitting coach just work with what he's got to make them the best they can be.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smyly, 7.09, tossed two QSs in his first two games. Since then he’s worse than Pivetta, giving up 15 runs in 15 innings in three games. An asinine dumpster dive.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go Cholly!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper needs to hit a walk-off to justify his paydays.

Ask and ye shall receive.... can I get a witness?!!??!

I think Charlie Manuel has had an effect on this offense despite being the hitting coach. Two-in-a-row since he has been back and Harper has come out of his season-long slumber all of a sudden. I sure as hell hope this is for real for all of us die-hard fans!

Perhaps Mallee was more by the books in his approach to telling hitters what the numbers were saying whereas Cholly just tells the hitters to go up there and hit, do what you do best. Forget the numbers and just go square the ball up and the rest will take care of itself. Hitting is as much mental as it is physical.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clearly getting arietta out of the club house has been the difference.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what Mallee was doing but in my opinion analytics is something to be used by talent evaluators and not something that a major league hitting coach can use to change hitters. By the time a player is in the majors it is very rare to see the kind of changes you would want to make using analytics. In other words, guys like Hoskins and Harper will always have high OBP and guys like Maikel Franco will always have low OBP (unless the hits fall in one year and he bats .315 or something). The hitting coach just work with what he's got to make them the best they can be.

Drawing the connection I wonder how much Mallee’s hit coaching was impacted by Flex in his ear, or even in the players ear.

While it’s a really small sample size (and I could be guilty of looking for positive trending way too early) there was another sound byte last night. Harper talking about walking up to the plate and feeling no nerves. Comparing it to all the big games played as a kid. As a kid he wasnt walking to the plate thinking “62.53% of the he throws a slider inside on the heels of a fastball”.....he was thinking how we were all taught “see the ball, hit the ball”.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This one cracks me up.....