• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could Bray replace Daniel as the backup QB?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we already have the answer, which is a resounding no. But put me down as one who would be for doing this. I'm sorry, I know there are Daniel fans in here, but I just don't see anything that makes me confident he could run the offense well enough during any unfortunate period of time Trubisky would be out of service. His arm is weak, his accuracy isn't all that, and he has the mobility and elusiveness of a nose tackle.

Bray is younger, faster, with a stronger arm, and seems to be not far behind Daniel when it comes to knowing the playbook. What he lacks in terms of not being as accurate with his throws, to me it looks like he's fast closing that gap. Again, I know there's all but a zero chance of him getting the nod and the bottom line is it's more of a case that Bray is simply less crappy than Daniel vs being qualified as a true #2.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bray couldn't hit the broad side of a barn it seems. He has all the makings of a guy who could lose a game before it even got going. He might make a few "wow" throws in the process, but it doesn't matter. #1 NFL D's would devour him.

Daniel showed last year he's one of the better backups in the league, IMO. He did so in his previous stops as well. Pre-season is useless in evaluating this kind of stuff. McCown used to look horrible in pre-season, Hoyer had the worst pre-season ever before having a great stint for a backup when Cutler went down in 2016. These guys are veterans working with undrafted or low draft pick rookies they have no experience with and running what essentially amounts to a non-offense. It's silly.

The reason Daniel is good as a backup is that he doesn't lose you the game and does just enough to give you a chance to win. With this D, that's all we need. He's consistent, you know what you're getting, he knows the offense like the back of his hand, he's a professional and a proven commodity. That's what you want in a backup when you are a contending team. Not a guy whose a total wild card, roll of the dice.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of had you in mind when I said there are admirers of Daniel in here. LOL

Hey, like I said the chances of Bray replacing Daniel as the backup are all but nil. In fact, they are nil. No argument there at all. I just felt the need to point out that Bray's skillset is superior to Daniel. It's really more the lesser of two evils, but it is superior.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only Daniel admirers are in GB Det and MN. I would boot both and put Nagy as the backup QB. No I'm not kidding. Really I'm not. .

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey, like I said the chances of Bray replacing Daniel as the backup are all but nil. In fact, they are nil. No argument there at all. I just felt the need to point out that Bray's skillset is superior to Daniel. It's really more the lesser of two evils, but it is superior.

Yeah, I guess that I just don't view Daniel as being an evil, at all. If I valued pre-season in the least, I would be inclined to agree with you, though. I put much higher stock into his solid body of work in regular season starts and appearances. I understand your concern, but I would have to see him look the same way in a game that mattered before coming to an agreement.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@noonthirtyjoe

Why would Detroit admire Daniel after he quarterback'd a win vs them last season in their building on Thanksgiving?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Daniel Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2-2 Record
67.5 CMP%
85.8 Rating
4 TD's
3 INT's

He has a 1.9 INT%

I don't know... it seems like you guys are holding him to starter standards. He's a backup and a lot of teams would love that out of their backup over 4 games. He's the quintessential game manager. With this defense, that will ALWAYS give you a chance to win. That's a backup's job.

He's not a top 5 backup. Tannehill, Bridgewater, etc. However, he is a dependable option. I certainly think he's in the top 10 or at least the top half of backup QB's.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Rich, I just don't see any improvement over from last year on the guy, being this is now Year 2 in Nagy's system. If anything, Chase should be better than he was in the last preseason, but he's not. His play just looks lethargic to me. I agree he'll win the backup job and if Trubisky by chance gets hurt, I'll root big time for the guy to do well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase Daniel Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

2-2 Record
67.5 CMP%
85.8 Rating
4 TD's
3 INT's

He has a 1.9 INT%

I don't know... it seems like you guys are holding him to starter standards. He's a backup and a lot of teams would love that out of their backup over 4 games. He's the quintessential game manager. With this defense, that will ALWAYS give you a chance to win. That's a backup's job.

He's not a top 5 backup. Tannehill, Bridgewater, etc. However, he is a dependable option. I certainly think he's in the top 10 or at least the top half of backup QB's.
He has looked like shit against third stringers all preseason. I would much rather have a young guy learning behind Mitch.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN's Jeff Dickerson:

Some have voiced concern over the preseason performance of veteran backup quarterback Chase Daniel, but not Matt Nagy. The Bears head coach gave Daniel a full vote of confidence on Monday. Prior to Chicago, the two worked closely to together in Kansas City. “Yeah, I guess I'm probably a little biased because I know Chase better than anybody—better than anybody," Nagy said. "I know Chase. It's not an easy deal that he gets put into every preseason. That's part of being a backup. You're the favorite when you get put in in some situations during the season, but in these situations everyone expects you to be the best ever. For me, he's a coach out there on the field. He gets so many things that people don't see. He gets people aligned in the huddle the right way, he's looking at the play clock, he makes things a lot easier for you as a coach than a lot of other different quarterbacks in that spot.”

I'm glad to see Dickerson and Nagy reading our threads in here. Anyway, it does seem to confirm that regardless of how Daniel has played so far, the backup job is his.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Rich, I just don't see any improvement over from last year on the guy, being this is now Year 2 in Nagy's system. If anything, Chase should be better than he was in the last preseason, but he's not. His play just looks lethargic to me. I agree he'll win the backup job and if Trubisky by chance gets hurt, I'll root big time for the guy to do well.

He doesn't have to improve from last year, was my point. He did exactly what we needed him to do. We split two road games, took the game we lost to OT and posted 27 points. The D played their worst game of the season that day.

The pre-season performance by a backup QB is irrelevant for a multitude of reasons. They're put in a position to fail.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has looked like shit against third stringers all preseason. I would much rather have a young guy learning behind Mitch.

The young guy can learn behind both.

He's also playing with 3rd stringers. Again, most vet QB's look like shit in the pre-season with the group of scrubs they're forced to play with.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God. We can only hope. Daniel is so f*cking bad.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A young guy is probably more prone to making mistakes and losing a game than an older guy that knows the system and knows his own limitations.

Daniel is basically a 2nd QB coach that can spot start. If he does have to start the gameplan can be altered to suit what he can and can't do.

There's no way in hell Bray should be the backup.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A young guy is probably more prone to making mistakes and losing a game than an older guy that knows the system and knows his own limitations.

Daniel is basically a 2nd QB coach that can spot start. If he does have to start the gameplan can be altered to suit what he can and can't do.

There's no way in hell Bray should be the backup.

He moves like a f*cking potato. We played a sub .500 team last year and he literally lost us the game in the first minute. LOL. We don't need a f*cking coach. We need somebody who can play quarterback. For f*ck's sake there's about 400 or coaches on the sideline every game, just add another of those if "coaching" is that important.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I broke watching this at the 2:12 mark with the pick. Dude is so f*cking bad.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh. Flip a coin.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He moves like a f*cking potato. We played a sub .500 team last year and he literally lost us the game in the first minute.

I think we literally lost the game in OT.

We don't need a f*cking coach. We need somebody who can play quarterback.

In 2 starts last season Daniel completed 69% and 3 touchdowns while passing for 515 yards.

I'd rather have Bart Starr or Dan Marino as out backup too...but that's not gonna happen.

Bray definitely isn't gonna be any better than Daniel. In fact...he's probably worse.