• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coronavirus - Direct Impact on You?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this is impacting everyone, but wondering what it means to you. Are you able to work from home, or how do you see your workplace impacted?

As many of you know, I work for an organization that works in Russia. We have groups who go over to volunteer. Between now and August we have 7 groups scheduled to go. For me it’s not all that difficult to make decisions for myself, but when making it for others, it’s much more difficult. Today I spent a couple hours working on a statement for the group leaders.

interesting times for sure...

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can work remotely. Work wise doesn't really impact me because I can work remotely at anytime. However, it does slow down my work because I don't have two monitors like I do when I am in the office. Makes it tough when reading spreadsheets and going back and forth between multiple systems.

Other then leisure activities like the NBA, indoor football (which is now having teams on the west coast play with no fans in attendance) which in the grand scheme of things isn't important it really doesn't impact me in a huge way... Just more annoying then anything, but obviously compared to some people it's nothing.

Currently, Iowa has 14 people in the state who have tested positive. 13 of the 14 are in the city I (and Dr Cyanide) live (Iowa City) in which they all returned from an Egyptian cruise. 1 is in critical condition the others are confined to home. All members who have tested positive were traveling from overseas. No direct positive test from local transportation or anything like that.

I travel to Minneapolis this weekend but other then being in a car and a few meals out in public I don't plan on being in a large crowd and don't plan to sneeze on anyone and will wash my hands. :)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully the town I live in is I think 3rd on the list of furthest town from any major city in the country. So it hasn't reached us yet, but we did just send our basketball team off to state in a large city. Not sure that was the best decision but we shall see.

Where it does hit my family is we are in the middle of adopting and our agency is not sure how this is going to change things since we are adopting internationally.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm retired and we live in Delaware. The state just had its first confirmed case yesterday, some professor at the other end of the state. We are still signed up for a cherry blossom tour next month, but it wouldn't surprise me if that got cancelled.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this is impacting everyone, but wondering what it means to you. Are you able to work from home, or how do you see your workplace impacted?

As many of you know, I work for an organization that works in Russia. We have groups who go over to volunteer. Between now and August we have 7 groups scheduled to go. For me it’s not all that difficult to make decisions for myself, but when making it for others, it’s much more difficult. Today I spent a couple hours working on a statement for the group leaders.

Daughter's college closed. Her drama club suspended practice. Youngest daughter's choir and Color Guard groups disbanded. Her high school contemplating shutting down. At $250K in investment losses.

Yeah, its affecting me.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much just work, drink, screw, fish and watch football, so not much has changed.

Got a bachelor party in Nashville the first weekend of April. As far as I know, it’s still on

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm retired and we live in Delaware. The state just had its first confirmed case yesterday, some professor at the other end of the state. We are still signed up for a cherry blossom tour next month, but it wouldn't surprise me if that got cancelled.

Must be nice!

We have at least 2 confirmed cases...the father and son returning from Milan. Local new is following those two cases, the son is a teen and the father is probably mid 40s early 50s.

My daughter is a HR mgr for GA St Univ...classes cancelled...only essential staff reporting. Wife and I have flights to Cali end of May for a wedding...as of now it's still a go...although I'm not all that comfortable getting on a plane with a bunch of people at the moment, but I think we're still going as of now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must be nice!

We have at least 2 confirmed cases...the father and son returning from Milan. Local new is following those two cases, the son is a teen and the father is probably mid 40s early 50s.

My daughter is a HR mgr for GA St Univ...classes cancelled...only essential staff reporting. Wife and I have flights to Cali end of May for a wedding...as of now it's still a go...although I'm not all that comfortable getting on a plane with a bunch of people at the moment, but I think we're still going as of now.

Just saw the guy that flew from New York that knew he had the disease but waited until the plane landed at his destination before telling them. He knew they wouldn't let him fly. It is selfish people like that who will lead to bigger issues.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work for the state. So far all we've gotten is one hand sanitizer station on 1st floor and signs telling us to wash our hands. I'm on 7th. We deal with the public daily and not just young population. We have cold water in mens room.

I'm greatly affected but nothing imo is being done to keep me and my co workers "safe"

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work for the state. So far all we've gotten is one hand sanitizer station on 1st floor and signs telling us to wash our hands. I'm on 7th. We deal with the public daily and not just young population. We have cold water in mens room.

I'm greatly affected but nothing imo is being done to keep me and my co workers "safe"
You need to file a complaint with OSHA that shit is ridiculous, you’ll be amazed at how fast it is resolved

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you at my age - it is not reassuring to hear talking heads calm everyone else down by pointing out people with my profile are the ones at risk. Since I've lost about $200k in my retirement accounts - I'm thinking zero in my bank account and my death are in a pretty good race. I figure if I die spending my last dollar - I win. My activities remain the same - except I can't get a crowd to hear my speeches about the local Food Bank.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you at my age - it is not reassuring to hear talking heads calm everyone else down by pointing out people with my profile are the ones at risk. Since I've lost about $200k in my retirement accounts - I'm thinking zero in my bank account and my death are in a pretty good race. I figure if I die spending my last dollar - I win. My activities remain the same - except I can't get a crowd to hear my speeches about the local Food Bank.
Can I have your record collection

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to file a complaint with OSHA that shit is ridiculous, you’ll be amazed at how fast it is resolved

Sure is. Thank you.

Our union is working hard on it

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work alone for the most part with only three others in the company.
I see more of the mailman and UPS guy than I see of the public.
No troubles here.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What state is this? That sounds nuts.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am able to work from home which is fine with me.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there had to be a typo - I’m sure they meant 70 and older not 60. I can almost remember being 60...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What state is this? That sounds nuts.

In certain backward states like mine - not washing hands is encouraged because it toughens the herd.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's impacting me some but not a whole lot. The local high school my wife teaches at will shut down the week after next for 3 weeks minimum. So when I go home for lunch it won't be nice alone time.
I can work from home but haven't as of yet. I have resources here at work and get more done.
I'm not going to see my dad who live a little over an hour away. He's 90 and I don't want to spread it to him if I'm carrying it. I have brothers and a sister near him that will make sure he is OK.
I bought extra stuff at Sam's Club last weekend. An extra box of toilet paper and a bunch of non perishable food. Not enough to fill up the basement or anything like that. Just enough that we won't need to go to the grocery store for a month or so.
My youngest daughter (high school junior) is bummed because she got the lead in the spring musical. It'll most likely get cancelled. Prom too most likely.
My other daughter is graduating college this May and they probably won't have the ceremony now. She's a little bummed. She's more bummed because they announced only online classes the rest of the year. She said she had many classes with the same people for 3.5 years and now she doesn't even get to say goodbye to many of them.