• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Backs

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, he interefed and still got beat
All signs point to him having another good camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of looks at CB2 opposite Haden, with Nelson & Hilton working the slot.

Also, Hilton has been receiving reps at FS. Thoughts to ponder...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All signs point to him having another good camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of looks at CB2 opposite Haden, with Nelson & Hilton working the slot.

Also, Hilton has been receiving reps at FS. Thoughts to ponder...
is he really having a good camp? or is this puff piece time? everyone looks good, and we always always hear the media pump up higher round picks. Tomlin also refuses to admit defeat with higher draft picks. To a fault, he will keep them. Ive heard tunch and wolf say he has had moments, but still struggling......but none of the other guys look great.

I havent heard a ton on steve nelson for him being the big aquisition. hilton i heard looks strong, haden is haden

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is he really having a good camp? or is this puff piece time? everyone looks good, and we always always hear the media pump up higher round picks. Tomlin also refuses to admit defeat with higher draft picks. To a fault, he will keep them. Ive heard tunch and wolf say he has had moments, but still struggling......but none of the other guys look great.

I havent heard a ton on steve nelson for him being the big aquisition. hilton i heard looks strong, haden is haden
Burns... Admittedly I haven't heard much other than a few tweets about people seeing adequate change to his game. After the first week a bunch of tweets surfaced from people at camps saying Burns was destined to make the 53 again. But I'm sticking with ATL's thoughts about they can't keep him if he's going to cost $3m to provide starter relief instead of starting. That's a ridiculous reality if it ever becomes true. But I have seen them make a lot of questionable decisions over the last handful of years.

Nelson... Sounds & looks like he's been getting owned in camp. But for whatever reason everyone is still in his corner touting his work ethic & football IQ. He's a scrappy guy, but I haven't seen much that indicates he is outside CB2 worthy yet. He needs to gain steam fast. I think there is something to be said about Hilton working at FS so much. Maybe they have plans to move Nelson inside if Burns shows out? Scary thought keeping Burns, I know, but why else force Hilton back there if they have so much talent at the safety position already? Heard all sorts of great things about Kameron Kelly in relief of the injured Sean Davis, so why the hell force Hilton to move back there as well? Feels like they are setting this up to keep Burns.

Layne... Sort of lost in translation so far because of how rookie-esque he looked early in camp. But there were some recent pieces that came out saying he's coming on strong in week 2. Going to take more time than what I originally thought, but I'm still hopeful he's the future. I think this kid's progression will pose the biggest threat to Burns. If Layne isn't where they want him to be by the end of August then Burns' $3m pricetag sitting on the bench would be a lot easier to stomach.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burns... Admittedly I haven't heard much other than a few tweets about people seeing adequate change to his game. After the first week a bunch of tweets surfaced from people at camps saying Burns was destined to make the 53 again. But I'm sticking with ATL's thoughts about they can't keep him if he's going to cost $3m to provide starter relief instead of starting. That's a ridiculous reality if it ever becomes true. But I have seen them make a lot of questionable decisions over the last handful of years.

Nelson... Sounds & looks like he's been getting owned in camp. But for whatever reason everyone is still in his corner touting his work ethic & football IQ. He's a scrappy guy, but I haven't seen much that indicates he is outside CB2 worthy yet. He needs to gain steam fast. I think there is something to be said about Hilton working at FS so much. Maybe they have plans to move Nelson inside if Burns shows out? Scary thought keeping Burns, I know, but why else force Hilton back there if they have so much talent at the safety position already? Heard all sorts of great things about Kameron Kelly in relief of the injured Sean Davis, so why the hell force Hilton to move back there as well? Feels like they are setting this up to keep Burns.

Layne... Sort of lost in translation so far because of how rookie-esque he looked early in camp. But there were some recent pieces that came out saying he's coming on strong in week 2. Going to take more time than what I originally thought, but I'm still hopeful he's the future. I think this kid's progression will pose the biggest threat to Burns. If Layne isn't where they want him to be by the end of August then Burns' $3m pricetag sitting on the bench would be a lot easier to stomach.
F that does not sound good

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible rep from Artie here... Allows a rookie with arguably the best route tree on the team get inside leverage. Ben woulda hit him in stride to the house!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS

Oops...quick finger.

With Tuitt's latest restructure, the Steelers are reportedly $5 mil or so under the cap.

Nelson, here roughly 9 or 10 practices into camp, I'm not even sure he's not even a lock for the CB2 job. I'm hearing that Burns is firmly the 3rd outside CB and could end up starting outside at some point so my thoughts of him being traded or released if not a starter are not likely to happen. Barring a trade or big digression Burns is probably going to make the 53 regardless of whether he starts or not.

Hilton...I think this is more him trying to be as versatile as possible...but it does set up for Nelson to see some snaps in the slot.

Layne...I don't think we're going to see him until '20 at the earliest. The word I'm getting...Colbert is on record saying he needs to get stronger so that tells me he's not ready for run support and they're going to take their time developing him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another bad rep by Artie here... Physical and making illegal contact with the WR after the hitch 8-10yds down the field. Flag. And yet Artie still gets beat in the EZ because he has no idea where the ball is.

@SteelersPride

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else suddenly feeling very disturbed about the lack of depth in this group? They have talent, but it's just not materializing very well.

Layne... He continues to erase hope that he'll be a contributor this year. I know most thought he was 1-2 years out of meaningful play, but damn he has made that abundantly clear. He had a great hit to force an incompletion last night, but outside of that he was still caught giving up lots of separation on numerous occasions, particularly on inside routes. Which is a BIG TIME NO-NO in the NFL. He showed impressive makeup speed to catch back up and make the tackle, and it’s fun to see him lasso guys with those long arms of his, but he gives up a lot of yards and completions. Much like Cameron Sutton has thus far in his brief career. We can probably chalk some of it up to design since they always seem to teach these young guys to simply keep the ball in front of them... But still. Hard not to critique how poorly he has looked this preseason.

Burns... Much like we expected, he showed up to camp and made a good impression like he always does. And he has looked like a serviceable DB for the most part, just not a dependable one. Couple plays stuck out at me last night... 1st the route by AJ Brown where Burns got completely lost. That ladies & gentlemen was 2018 Artie. The 2nd play, was the Kam Kelly FF play. Artie completely whiffed that tackle and made me cringe so hard. I don't see how they can convince themselves to keep his pricetag. He still looks like the same guy that will get utterly embarrassed to the point of destroying his confidence again. The only play I thought he did well was a man-cover on a double-move. The ball was overthrown but Burns was with him the entire way. But he always plays best in man-cover so not surprised.

Brian Allen... Just not playing like a competent CB and its time to close the book on him. Much like everyone else, he gives up a lot of completions. And honestly has never looked all that great on ST.

Thank God for the Nelson acquisition or this group would be a hot mess.

1. Haden
2. Nelson
3. Hilton (looks like he's taking a nose-dive in the depth chart, but I still have him firmly planted here)
4. Sutton
5. Layne
HM - Kam Kelly looks to get a lot of work at Dime CB. So he's worth mentioning here.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else suddenly feeling very disturbed about the lack of depth in this group? They have talent, but it's just not materializing very well.

Layne... He continues to erase hope that he'll be a contributor this year. I know most thought he was 1-2 years out of meaningful play, but damn he has made that abundantly clear. He had a great hit to force an incompletion last night, but outside of that he was still caught giving up lots of separation on numerous occasions, particularly on inside routes. Which is a BIG TIME NO-NO in the NFL. He showed impressive makeup speed to catch back up and make the tackle, and it’s fun to see him lasso guys with those long arms of his, but he gives up a lot of yards and completions. Much like Cameron Sutton has thus far in his brief career. We can probably chalk some of it up to design since they always seem to teach these young guys to simply keep the ball in front of them... But still. Hard not to critique how poorly he has looked this preseason.

Burns... Much like we expected, he showed up to camp and made a good impression like he always does. And he has looked like a serviceable DB for the most part, just not a dependable one. Couple plays stuck out at me last night... 1st the route by AJ Brown where Burns got completely lost. That ladies & gentlemen was 2018 Artie. The 2nd play, was the Kam Kelly FF play. Artie completely whiffed that tackle and made me cringe so hard. I don't see how they can convince themselves to keep his pricetag. He still looks like the same guy that will get utterly embarrassed to the point of destroying his confidence again. The only play I thought he did well was a man-cover on a double-move. The ball was overthrown but Burns was with him the entire way. But he always plays best in man-cover so not surprised.

Brian Allen... Just not playing like a competent CB and its time to close the book on him. Much like everyone else, he gives up a lot of completions. And honestly has never looked all that great on ST.

Thank God for the Nelson acquisition or this group would be a hot mess.

1. Haden
2. Nelson
3. Hilton (looks like he's taking a nose-dive in the depth chart, but I still have him firmly planted here)
4. Sutton
5. Layne
HM - Kam Kelly looks to get a lot of work at Dime CB. So he's worth mentioning here.

I honestly haven't watch much or paid much attention to the PS games as I had intended to so I don't have a whole lot to say on that end. Most of what I've heard has been positive so I'm not real sure where they are.

But...on paper, they are supposed to be better than LY. They get baptized by fire out the gate which I kinda like. If they go out there week 1 and get torched for 375 and 4 TDs I will be very pissed. But if they hold their own against this team, I'll feel better about the season win or lose.

B Allen...they swung and missed, he's not making the 53.
Burns...we shall see....I said they wouldn't carry his cap hit as a reserve, but as of now that appears to be the case.
Hilton...just make plays.
Sutton...still doesn't have a real role and he's now a 3rd yr guy, maybe some dime snaps at best barring an injury.
Layne...Not sure what his ST skills are, but as a CB, I still don't expect him to have a helmet until maybe DEC if then.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly haven't watch much or paid much attention to the PS games as I had intended to so I don't have a whole lot to say on that end. Most of what I've heard has been positive so I'm not real sure where they are.

But...on paper, they are supposed to be better than LY. They get baptized by fire out the gate which I kinda like. If they go out there week 1 and get torched for 375 and 4 TDs I will be very pissed. But if they hold their own against this team, I'll feel better about the season win or lose.

B Allen...they swung and missed, he's not making the 53.
Burns...we shall see....I said they wouldn't carry his cap hit as a reserve, but as of now that appears to be the case.
Hilton...just make plays.
Sutton...still doesn't have a real role and he's now a 3rd yr guy, maybe some dime snaps at best barring an injury.
Layne...Not sure what his ST skills are, but as a CB, I still don't expect him to have a helmet until maybe DEC if then.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...we knew it was coming...know nothing about this Dean kid...maybe he makes it to the PS, but seems more like a guy to take a look at before the cut down.
Either their patience ran thin with Allen (reportedly was nursing a lower body injury prior to PG3) or they must have had their eyes on Jhavonte Dean since the draft considering he was waived by the Browns on Monday and signed/awarded to the Steelers the following day. But neither seems likely. Might just be a move to keep fresh legs for the preseason.

Seems strange that the Steelers are making a habit out of recycling Browns cornerbacks. Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert, and now this project.

UDFA from the U ('canes). Only accolade that jumps out was he tied for the lead in defensive INT's his final season there. Just 3 INTs though. Seems like a DOA type signing just to keep depth for PG4. Not sure there is much else to read into here.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either their patience ran thin with Allen (reportedly was nursing a lower body injury prior to PG3) or they must have had their eyes on Jhavonte Dean since the draft considering he was waived by the Browns on Monday and signed/awarded to the Steelers the following day. But neither seems likely. Might just be a move to keep fresh legs for the preseason.

Seems strange that the Steelers are making a habit out of recycling Browns cornerbacks. Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert, and now this project.

UDFA from the U ('canes). Only accolade that jumps out was he tied for the lead in defensive INT's his final season there. Just 3 INTs though. Seems like a DOA type signing just to keep depth for PG4. Not sure there is much else to read into here.

Yeah...but pretty common around the league. Teams often know DIV personnel best since they play them twice a yr. They took a flyer on Gilbert, but Haden was prematurely outed in CLE...with basically 10 days or so before heading up to NE, they wanted to see what this guy has I guess from a developmental standpoint...I'm sure they have had some interest in him at some level in the past.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some good news

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some good news

Glad to hear they got it done. That puts him in line with Ben & Tomlin's contracts. There's a lot of big time contracts on the books through 2021. This will be the 2nd and final "complete team" the Steelers have fielded since Ben's inititial signing. The last couple years left for the SB window to be open.

The line has been drawn, 2022 is gonna be quite the roster turnover from top to bottom.
  • Going to be interesting to see how they manage signing the 2017 draft class with such a limited cap number moving forward. This could be Kevin Colbert's final goal/achievement before he calls it a career. JuJu & Watt are set to "grab the Fort Knox bags" as Ramon Foster would say.
  • If Colbert does hang it up after 2021, who do they fill the GM void with?
  • Do they keep Tomlin around or does he unofficially retire to spend time supporting his kids (which he has hinted at)?
  • Is Mason Rudolph the heir apparent? He has 1-2 more years to groom until the Steelers will be forced to make this decision.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear they got it done. That puts him in line with Ben & Tomlin's contracts. There's a lot of big time contracts on the books through 2021. This will be the 2nd and final "complete team" the Steelers have fielded since Ben's inititial signing. The last couple years left for the SB window to be open.

The line has been drawn, 2022 is gonna be quite the roster turnover from top to bottom.
  • Going to be interesting to see how they manage signing the 2017 draft class with such a limited cap number moving forward. This could be Kevin Colbert's final goal/achievement before he calls it a career. JuJu & Watt are set to "grab the Fort Knox bags" as Ramon Foster would say.
  • If Colbert does hang it up after 2021, who do they fill the GM void with?
  • Do they keep Tomlin around or does he unofficially retire to spend time supporting his kids (which he has hinted at)?
  • Is Mason Rudolph the heir apparent? He has 1-2 more years to groom until the Steelers will be forced to make this decision.

I would've like to have seen them figure it out with Hargrave, but he doesn't appear to be to upset that it's not...saw a quote from him somewhere saying ...let's just win the SB...so a strong attitude for him and he will definitely get paid next yr.

KC...he's said, he's essentially taking it one yr at a time. Not sure what that really means so it sounds like he's got the job until he doesn't want to do it anymore.

MT...I think this is his last go around, but if they win the big one...Art II will let him make the call.

Rudolph...At this point I say he has the inside track on the job.

If they did win it this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ben step away a yr early.

Well...toe will meet leather Sunday Night for the game of the week right out of the gate!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've like to have seen them figure it out with Hargrave, but he doesn't appear to be to upset that it's not...saw a quote from him somewhere saying ...let's just win the SB...so a strong attitude for him and he will definitely get paid next yr.
Glad to hear he's keeping a good mindset about it.

Even though I'm young in comparison to most around here, I'm happy to say that I'm old enough to understand this joke. Childhood nostalgia... Be kind & rewind