• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Backs

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so! Looking forward to seeing what Nelson brings. Although I’m still going to remain pessimistic about the secondary until proven wrong!

Would like to see them lockup Hilton long term though. But they may opt to get Haden extended first.

If they can lower Haden's cap hit this yr, maybe they get both done.

I'm trying to go with a clean slate but it won't take much for me to drift into the negative mode.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can lower Haden's cap hit this yr, maybe they get both done.

I'm trying to go with a clean slate but it won't take much for me to drift into the negative mode.
Curious if Haden would take less to stay on-board. He wants to retire a Steeler and knows full-well his financial situation is set for life.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious if Haden would take less to stay on-board. He wants to retire a Steeler and knows full-well his financial situation is set for life.

Idk...good question.

Well...I know they can convert most or all of this '19 salary to signing bonus and prorate that over the life of the extension, and maybe the new money would come at some sort of the discounted rate given his age, etc.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk...good question.

Well...I know they can convert most or all of this '19 salary to signing bonus and prorate that over the life of the extension, and maybe the new money would come at some sort of the discounted rate given his age, etc.
At this point Haden is still a solid starter with great leadership. But he knows he’s in the twilight of his career so playing for championships may mean more to him than a paycheck. I think he’ll be all for a discount if it means playing in Pittsburgh

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A whole lot of people really are hoping that is the case. I don't think they will push him out there too quickly this season unless there's an injury. Word is, Burns is doing all the little things he probably should've been doing all along, at the facility early, extra film time, etc. I still expect them to trade him due to his contract, but who knows, maybe he bumps Allen or Sutton off.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A whole lot of people really are hoping that is the case. I don't think they will push him out there too quickly this season unless there's an injury. Word is, Burns is doing all the little things he probably should've been doing all along, at the facility early, extra film time, etc. I still expect them to trade him due to his contract, but who knows, maybe he bumps Allen or Sutton off.
What he desperately needs is a strong camp followed by a strong preseason. Just for his confidence's sake. He can do all the film study & working out he wants, it won't cure his head.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Artie always showed up well in camp the last few offseasons. He could battle back & forth with AB better than anyone else, even Haden. But when it came time to put that talent on the field against other teams, he'd slowly lose all his confidence.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Artie always showed up well in camp the last few offseasons. He could battle back & forth with AB better than anyone else, even Haden. But when it came time to put that talent on the field against other teams, he'd slowly lose all his confidence.

Yep...the people that chart every snap are indicating that PIT played more man LY than many of us would like to believe but the reality is they are still a zone-man combination DEF and that was one of his biggest struggles...transitioning to zone effectively and then he got burnt deep a couple of times and that's when the loss of confidence started to show up...lining up 8-10 yds off the LOS and trying to use his athleticism to keep the play in front of him and he even struggled with that at times.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he comes to camp and has a solid start to the season, I can see them midseason giving him a deal that will hit the cap in '20.
Midseason? When’s the last time the Steelers did somethin like that?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midseason? When’s the last time the Steelers did somethin like that?

Yeah that would be a rarity, but I think they still want to see more good work from him before they pull the trigger on a long term extension. Can they afford to let him play out the season and become a FA? Restricted I know, but some team flush with cap cash can over pay.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that would be a rarity, but I think they still want to see more good work from him before they pull the trigger on a long term extension. Can they afford to let him play out the season and become a FA? Restricted I know, but some team flush with cap cash can over pay.
I hope they just pay the man, but realistically, how much would a quality slot CB receive on the open market? I don’t think it would be that much. But who knows.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they just pay the man, but realistically, how much would a quality slot CB receive on the open market? I don’t think it would be that much. But who knows.

IDK where Hilton ranks compared to Kenny Moore, but he's now the highest paid slot in the league. Another team with a lot of cap space!

Hilton had a stretch last yr that may have spoked the staff a little and that's giving them pause here on the extension...I read somewhere he allowed 12 rec, 174 yds and 2 TD over a 2 game span, and I want to say shortly after that he got benched for a game or two.

There is some word out there that he was playing thru an injury...I'm with you, pay the man...he's better than Sutton or Sutton would've been starting. I have a feeling they will, but it he holds out, forget about it, they're not going to give in to him.

The guy they really need to be trying to lock up long term is Juju.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK where Hilton ranks compared to Kenny Moore, but he's now the highest paid slot in the league. Another team with a lot of cap space!

Hilton had a stretch last yr that may have spoked the staff a little and that's giving them pause here on the extension...I read somewhere he allowed 12 rec, 174 yds and 2 TD over a 2 game span, and I want to say shortly after that he got benched for a game or two.

There is some word out there that he was playing thru an injury...I'm with you, pay the man...he's better than Sutton or Sutton would've been starting. I have a feeling they will, but it he holds out, forget about it, they're not going to give in to him.

The guy they really need to be trying to lock up long term is Juju.
What’s Moore’s price tag? Just trying to gauge the cap hits they’d be looking at.

Hilton responded well to the benching. Although I don’t entirely think he was the problem, more a lack of scheming. They got those problems schemes out and Hilton was back to being top 5 slot guy.

Next year they won’t be carrying a >$20M dead cap which should free up a lot of leeway in contract negotiations. Signing JuJu & Conner long term shouldn’t be a problem at all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s Moore’s price tag? Just trying to gauge the cap hits they’d be looking at.

Hilton responded well to the benching. Although I don’t entirely think he was the problem, more a lack of scheming. They got those problems schemes out and Hilton was back to being top 5 slot guy.

Next year they won’t be carrying a >$20M dead cap which should free up a lot of leeway in contract negotiations. Signing JuJu & Conner long term shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Moore...I need to find the article b/c spotrac is not showing the details yet, but I thought I remembered seeing $8mil avg. annual.

Hilton has been nothing but a find for this team. When they have the leverage on you they use it until they're confident enough to write the bigger check.

Juju will definitely get his soon...Ben would probably retire immediately if they somehow lost Juju to FA.