• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cornerback options if Maxwell leaves

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would all love for Maxwell to return, but we might not have the luxury to afford someone like him. So let's look at possible options to replace him.

Free Agency

- Antonio Cromartie
- Brandon Flowers
- Kareem Jackson
- Chris Culliver
- Tramon Williams
- Walter Thurmond
- Sterling Moore

Unfortunately most of those top guys listed above we probably wouldn't be able to afford since they would cost as much or a bit more than Maxwell.

One interesting option is Walter Thurmond. He is familiar with the system and the players here. He shouldn't cost too much and skill wise he is somewhat on par with Maxwell. Only question of course is his injury risk.

Sterling Moore was surprisingly good playing DB for the Cowboys. He might come cheap.

Draft

- Trae Waynes - Michigan State (6'1 182 - 4.43 40 time)
- Jalen Collins - LSU (6'2 195 - 4.48 40 time)
- Ifo Ekpre-Olumu - Oregon (5'10 195 - 4.39 40 time)
- Alex Carter - Stanford (6'0 200 - 4.47 40 time)
- Ronald Darby - FSU (5'11 195 - 4.45 40 time)
- Marcus Peters - UW (6'0 190 - 4.55 40 time)

I haven't followed college as closely this year so I'm not as familiar with the draft prospects. I'm listing these CBs based off of the rankings Walterfootball provided for their mock drafts. If anyone here has more knowledge about these guys listed above feel free to share your knowledge. It's hard judging a corner just looking at their measurements.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way on Olumu. Wasn't that impressed with him at the college level, really can't see him dealing with NFL size and while he's fast, he got burned a lot in routes in the games I watched him in.

Peters maybe, but I'm not sure even Pete can tame him. Skill set is very very high though so worth a chance.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see a free agent signing unless they bring Thurmond back. I do think one should be picked in the top half of the draft though.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thurmond is a free agent? He's been a Giant 1 season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't paid much attention to the Giants. How was Thurmond year as a starting CB?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't paid much attention to the Giants. How was Thurmond year as a starting CB?

He was put on IR either early in the season or some time in the preseason. Hence the injury question mark.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was put on IR either early in the season or some time in the preseason. Hence the injury question mark.

He was hurt the 2nd game, so there wasn't much to go on. The irony was, he wasn't a starter, he was their nickelback, which was just fun since he left Seattle because he didn't think he'd get to start.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way on Olumu. Wasn't that impressed with him at the college level, really can't see him dealing with NFL size and while he's fast, he got burned a lot in routes in the games I watched him in.

Peters maybe, but I'm not sure even Pete can tame him. Skill set is very very high though so worth a chance.

I'll agree with you there. Had my eye on him during the WSU-OU game and didn't see anything special. I don't really know much about the other college prospects, but out of all the free agents listed I'd agree with most here that Thurmond is probably the best option.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, wow 1 year! Hardly ever see a younger FA do something like that.

Probably has to do with his baggage.

Was hurt every year until last year and then was popped for a suspension. Wanted to sign a prove it deal and build his value and it backfired. Think he is great for the Hawks but not sure if that's a realistic possibility.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antonio Cromartie - I think he'd be a solid upgrade to Maxwell on the outside. He's big and physical, has good cover skills, is the kind of corner that Pete likes and is used to playing opposite a big name corner. he will be 31 next season, which is getting up there, but not so far up there that he wouldn't be effective. He'll most likely start negotiating at his salary last season with the Cardinals ($4 million) and try to go up from there.

Brandon Flowers - He's younger that Cromartie, and I think a better cover guy, but not as big and definitely more finesse. He'd also be an upgrade to Maxwell IMO, but not sure how he'd do being the "other" corner. Even after the pro bowl in 2013 he barely got $3 million last year.

Kareem Jackson - The youngest CB so far, and though I don't think he's the cover guy Flowers is (or the physical guy Cromartie is) he'll probably require just as much to get.

Chris Culliver - Would be interesting to bring him in from SF, but I just haven't ever been too impressed with him. He's still young and he does have good coverage skills, just feel he's a better fit looking at NB and not the outside CB.

Tramon Williams - He's the oldest on the list, and he's another guy who's had some success in the league, but I've never been fond of.

Walter Thurmond - I like him as a skilled player, but his injury issues make him too unreliable (so we'd have to carry someone to take his place at any time) and he's been most effective as a NB.

Sterling Moore - Don't know much about him, and he's coming off his first year as a starter. He's young, so would have to go from there.

Trae Waynes - Good length, though will need to bulk up from 180 lbs. He's a solid cover guy right now, and would hopefully improve in a defense like this one. Seahawks would probably have to move up for him, which I just don't see them doing.

Jalen Collins - Good size and has good coverage skills and ball skills, however he could have the same issues as Simon with changing directions. Projected anywhere from late first to early third, so may be there for not only first, but second pick.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - He just lacks the size to do what he needs to do in the NFL. Think Kelly Jennings - could be in position all day, but just couldn't do anything about it with is lack of size. I don't remember him having much effect during the WSU game. I think he may fit in better as a NB, which wouldn't hurt, since guys like Edelman can be a handful.

Alex Carter - He would seem to be a good fit for our defensive backfield, and he's be there (possibly) in the second or third. Not overly large, but good enough sized.

Ronald Darby - He's a little raw (which I don't mind, allows PC to mold him how he wants) and is a fast guy. has a good build, though he may not be as tall as some CBs (especially in Seattle). Really am intrigued in this guy - could possibly be there in the 4th.

Marcus Peters - If he falls to Seattle it'll be because of character issues. Is that enough for the Hawks to pass on him, cause he has talent? IDK. Skill wise, he should be gone off the board, but head wise he may not even be taken in the first round.

Personally, I think we take a CB later in the draft, but if a guy that PC likes falls to us then I don't see why they couldn't take one earlier. Other than Earl Thomas (which seemed to be a no brainer) PC hasn't picked a DB in the first 3 rounds, and only Walter Thurmond (same draft as Thomas) in the 4th. Our back field is made of guys who weren't drafted that high. If New Orleans hadn't signed him two weeks ago I would have suggested Delvin Breaux, but he isn't an option anymore.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great breakdown Blstoker

Of the free agent CBs I listed I like Flowers the most too. I think because of his age, his skill set, and the high demand for a good CB he's going to get at least what Alterraun Verner got which was 6.4 mil per. He's likely going to seek Talib or Vontae Davis money. They got around 9 mil per.

I also like Antonio Cromartie. I believe his 2014 contract was a bargain. He took a prove it deal so he's likely to seek a longer deal, probably his last good deal of his career so I don't see him taking 3.5 again. I think he gets somewhere in the range of 4-5 mil per.

Maxwell I think will seek at least what Finnegan or Verner got which is in the 5.5 to 6.5 range.

Signing Maxwell will all depend on how creative Pete and John can get structuring Russell and Wagner's new deal. Avril got extended before Maxwell so that either shows that Maxwell is gone or it just shows that Pete values a good pass rush and believes that it's harder to find a good pass rusher in the draft rather than a good cb to fill in Maxwell's role.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda digging on the Gunter kid from Miami. Could be a steal in the fourth.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree with you there. Had my eye on him during the WSU-OU game and didn't see anything special. I don't really know much about the other college prospects, but out of all the free agents listed I'd agree with most here that Thurmond is probably the best option.

Like Thurmond, but not sure he's a #2 corner. I mean we know he want's to be that, but is he a #2 or a nickel slot? He's not muscling up on guys in press coverage from what I remember.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Thurmond, but not sure he's a #2 corner. I mean we know he want's to be that, but is he a #2 or a nickel slot? He's not muscling up on guys in press coverage from what I remember.

I suppose that is debatable, but I think he could be the best value of all the free agents listed. Really the best case scenario would be for Simon to improve so he can take the spot over. He has been awful in the slot but showed at least some promise covering guys on the outside, he just hasn't been very consistent.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Rang expects Simon to be a solid #2 corner. Says he's playing out of his natural position in the slot because he's best at press outside coverage, not dealing with speedy little slot guys.

Do need to get more depth there for sure, but can they open with sherman/simon and lane in nickel?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thurmond could be a #2 perhaps, but his real value would be in the slot for the Seahawks. After yet another injury, he could come cheap.