• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cool little thread about Vic Fangio

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My favorite part of the article addresses my only concern about Aldon Smith:

Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker have been very impressed with Smith's rapid advancement in coverage as well.

I hope this is more truth than hype.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite part of the article addresses my only concern about Aldon Smith:

Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker have been very impressed with Smith's rapid advancement in coverage as well.

I hope this is more truth than hype.

In the same way that trying to cover Jerry Rice made the old DBs better, I'd imagine trying to cover VD, Walker, and even Gore out of the backfield will make the 49ers LB's better in coverage. I think Willis said something along those lines last year about practicing against Gore, trying to cover Gore was making Willis better in coverage.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the same way that trying to cover Jerry Rice made the old DBs better, I'd imagine trying to cover VD, Walker, and even Gore out of the backfield will make the 49ers LB's better in coverage. I think Willis said something along those lines last year about practicing against Gore, trying to cover Gore was making Willis better in coverage.

I remember this, I remembered it when Reggie Bush smoked P-Will for that TD, too....

Yea, it still hurts. :pout:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I should rephrase that. It'll make them the best that they can be... to steal a cliche. Sure, Willis got better in coverage and played pretty good throughout the year... but still not good enough to prevent getting badly torched by Reggie Bush.

This type of competition in practice just helps players reach their potential quicker.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This type of competition in practice just helps players reach their potential quicker.

I wasn't trying to nitpick, just had a bad memory bubble up. But I feel the result, this statement, is actually pretty valid. That competition won't turn a scrub into a pro-bowler, but hopefully helps guys hit their peaks.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't trying to nitpick, just had a bad memory bubble up. But I feel the result, this statement, is actually pretty valid. That competition won't turn a scrub into a pro-bowler, but hopefully helps guys hit their peaks.

It's all good man, the way I originally worded that wasn't very good. I kinda made it sound like covering these guys makes them get better and better with no ceiling.

You know, with that Willis/Reggie Bush thing... I think it stung because in the Monday Night Countdown ESPN did a piece where Willis talked about getting better in coverage, and then the announcers lampooned Willis because he got beat so bad.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, with that Willis/Reggie Bush thing... I think it stung because in the Monday Night Countdown ESPN did a piece where Willis talked about getting better in coverage, and then the announcers lampooned Willis because he got beat so bad.

They played that clip all damn season. Even this year when they were talking about whether NO would bring him back and what Bush brings to the table, they played it like it was his only damn highlight.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I completely agree with this, it just makes sense. This is one of the reasons I like the Goodwin acquisition. Goodwin had to practice every day against Williams' multi faceted blitz schemes. IMO this can only help him to be sharper and quicker in his zone and man blocking assignments.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember this, I remembered it when Reggie Bush smoked P-Will for that TD, too....

Yea, it still hurts. :pout:

Yeah, that was a whoops! Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.