• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CONMEBOL UEFA Cup of Champions: Argentina vs Italy

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Argentina 3-0 over Italy.

First 25 minutes of game competitive, but after Argentina´s first goal they were definitely the better team. One of the better games played by Argentina in 15 years I have lived here. Defense is no longer a sieve and have their best goalie since i have lived here. Offensively do not have the fire power of some of the past teams, but still have talent.

Italy looked slow on defense and some bad errors/plays on back line. Hard to believe 2 straight World Cups without the gli Azrurri.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people in Argentina thinking about their chances in the world cup?

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people in Argentina thinking about their chances in the world cup?

Argentine´s are getting optimistic. National team has not lost in 32 games... Italy holds the record at 37 games.

The team has been building, improving and looking stronger which is a change. In past World Cup qualifying they were very up and down and sometimes qualifying with last 2 games... 2010 with Maradona as coach last game at Uruguay.

Honestly... would probably be best if World Cup still in July for this team... the time off and wait until November may hurt them.

Biggest differences to me:
  • Martinez in goal - best goalie national team has had since I have lived here
  • Defensive back line much better vs past national teams - really like Romero and Tagliafico. Otamendi is gamer and plays hard, but prone to yellow cards that scares me, but still solid defender. Molina is OK on right flank.
  • DePaul has become heart and soul of team and Martinez is vocal leader... these 2 I think have taken pressure off of Messi as in past teams everyone always looked to him and he carried all the pressure.
For Argentina to win it... think DiMaria has to stay healthy. He has been injured in past Copa Americas or World Cups in knockout stages... he is playing very well now for national team and helping Messi create attacking the goal.

Teams with speed at midfield and front line with good ball skills will be the problematic opponents IMO for Argentina. Argentina likes to control the ball... if they are not winning the balls at midfield will be different game from how they want to play.

Scaloni has also been a pretty good coach. Another in the long line of ex-Newells players/coaches that have coached national team (Bielsa, Tata Martinez, Sampaoli). Scaloni was right back for WC team in 2006 when Messi was on his first national team.

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Thanks for posting that - interesting to read more in-depth stuff. I would never have guessed they were 32 games unbeaten if I hadn't seen that stat. I guess I would have put Argentina a fair way down the favorites list before reading this.

France
Spain
Germany
England
Portugal
Brazil
Belgium
Holland
Argentina
Denmark

I'm sure my list is too Euro-centric.