• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colorado Fired Head Coach Mike MacIntyre

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a reason he wanted the Kansas job, he knows he would have had his pick.

BC he knows he’ll get fired within 3 years and will receive a fat ass buyout from KU that will pay him about $2M a year over 10 years for doing nothing. Smart move on his part.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC he knows he’ll get fired within 3 years and will receive a fat ass buyout from KU that will pay him about $2M a year over 10 years for doing nothing. Smart move on his part.
Kansas isn't a school that pays a buyout. That would be Texas and Nebraska.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The important thing is for Miles not to make the same mistake that Beatty made....he isn't going to win at Kansas trying to out Big XII the Big XII. He simply isn't going to get the athletes to do that on a regular basis. What he can do to win is to bring defense back to the Big XII and by playing physical football on offense. Big XII defenses are built to stop the spread and air raid. Running an offense heavy on 11, 21, or Ace personnel groupings, especially with big physical line play and bigger RBs would force them out of their comfort zones and cause mismatches among some of the teams who utilize smaller linebackers for their pass defense.
While I understand the strategy of the italicized part, I'm not understanding the bolded part. A coach doesn't need to get athletes on a regular basis in order to bring defense back to the Big XII? Such a defense can be built without those athletes? Is that correct? And achieving a running offense that you described can also be done without "getting the athletes" to do so?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand the strategy of the italicized part, I'm not understanding the bolded part. A coach doesn't need to get athletes on a regular basis in order to bring defense back to the Big XII? Such a defense can be built without those athletes? Is that correct? And achieving a running offense that you described can also be done without "getting the athletes" to do so?

It's far easier to recruit defense than offense. That WR who is an inch too short and gets the drops might well turn out to be a solid cornerback. The TE who just can't learn how to run proper routes may well be the speed rusher you are missing off the edge. The WR who can't break through the depth chart may well be a starting safety. All three of those situations have happened at Clemson in recent years with Duane Coleman, Vic Beasley, and TJ Green respectively.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB Coach Kurt Roeper named interim HC for the final game vs. Cal and potentially a bowl game.

Seems like AD George is anxious to get a new guy in ASAP. He talked about potentially having a new HC before bowl season.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's far easier to recruit defense than offense. That WR who is an inch too short and gets the drops might well turn out to be a solid cornerback. The TE who just can't learn how to run proper routes may well be the speed rusher you are missing off the edge. The WR who can't break through the depth chart may well be a starting safety. All three of those situations have happened at Clemson in recent years with Duane Coleman, Vic Beasley, and TJ Green respectively.
If it is that easy, then ALL the Big 12 schools have been intentionally recruiting crappy defensive players.

If Les can easily recruit those defensive standouts he'll definitely be ahead of the entire Big 12.

Here's an interesting tidbit I've heard from high school coaches here in Texas. DB recruits are falling into two camps regarding their recruitment. Some will accept scholarship offers from non Big 12 schools and state their reason is they don't want to face teams that have great QBs and WRs and throw it around all the time. Claim that could hurt their future draft status. Others say the opposite. They accept the Big 12 schools offer because they think playing against such will help their NFL chances.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado wouldn't have been in play for Les Miles. They're going to go get a guy who is extremely offensive-minded and can put up points. Montez comes back and Shenault is one of the more explosive players in the country. Babers, Chip Long, or maybe even Holgorsen.

I think you just became my favoritist poster. Like BFFFL level friends...:yes:

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is that easy, then ALL the Big 12 schools have been intentionally recruiting crappy defensive players.

If Les can easily recruit those defensive standouts he'll definitely be ahead of the entire Big 12.

Here's an interesting tidbit I've heard from high school coaches here in Texas. DB recruits are falling into two camps regarding their recruitment. Some will accept scholarship offers from non Big 12 schools and state their reason is they don't want to face teams that have great QBs and WRs and throw it around all the time. Claim that could hurt their future draft status. Others say the opposite. They accept the Big 12 schools offer because they think playing against such will help their NFL chances.

Recruiting defense in the Big XII region, and Texas in particular, is hard. One of the people we tailgate with is a good family friend of one of the staffers who followed Chad Morris to SMU from Clemson. The staffer told him that one of the biggest differences in recruiting between the Southeast and Texas he found was that in the majority of Texas high schools if you wanted to see the true athletes you had to concentrate on the offensive tape and then try to convince a WR/RB/QB he had more of a future on defense because Texas football is so offensively oriented. He said it was easier with the smaller schools because there were a lot of those players who would play both ways, but at the bigger schools where they had large enough rosters where they could have a dedicated squad for either that more often than not the athletes were on the offensive side of the ball.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can’t disagree more. It’s rare for non-P5 teams to bring in legit defenses, but a ton of them have bad ass offenses that get their Coaches better jobs. Patterson at TCU is one of the few that I can think of that have succeeded with defense.

Leach and his tree has made living recruiting 5’10-6’0 WRs that big boys pass on and there are a ton of them available. The single harder thing to recruit is top shelf DL talent.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting defense in the Big XII region, and Texas in particular, is hard. One of the people we tailgate with is a good family friend of one of the staffers who followed Chad Morris to SMU from Clemson. The staffer told him that one of the biggest differences in recruiting between the Southeast and Texas he found was that in the majority of Texas high schools if you wanted to see the true athletes you had to concentrate on the offensive tape and then try to convince a WR/RB/QB he had more of a future on defense because Texas football is so offensively oriented. He said it was easier with the smaller schools because there were a lot of those players who would play both ways, but at the bigger schools where they had large enough rosters where they could have a dedicated squad for either that more often than not the athletes were on the offensive side of the ball.
I would agree with his assessment totally. But, it doesn't work out all the time in trying to recruit them to the other side of the ball. IIRC, most colleges were recruiting RGIII to play DB. Only Houston was willing to let him play QB. (He switched to Baylor when Briles moved.) I think that is a good example of what that staffer was describing.

I for one think the coaches at some of the larger high schools do some kids a disservice by not letting them play both ways but that is just my opinion. I also don't like the fact that some coaches "force" kids to concentrate and play only one sport. That's just an opinion too.

When my youngest daughter was in high school they only had one kid that had D1 ability. The coach would only let him play running back. I told my wife, he ain't gonna be a running back in college. They should be letting him play inside linebacker too because that's where he'll end up in college. Sure enough, that is exactly where he played in college.

Went to Jerry's world several years ago to watch all the state championship games. A QB/DB teammate of James Washington (former Oklahoma State receiver now playing for the Steelers) did something he would never have been allowed to even try at a larger school...much less accomplish. They both played both ways at a Class A school. In the Class A state championship game the QB/DB was named the game's Offensive MVP AND Defensive MVP. Kid didn't have D1 talent like James did but he was a main reason they won.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t disagree more. It’s rare for non-P5 teams to bring in legit defenses, but a ton of them have bad ass offenses that get their Coaches better jobs. Patterson at TCU is one of the few that I can think of that have succeeded with defense.

Leach and his tree has made living recruiting 5’10-6’0 WRs that big boys pass on and there are a ton of them available. The single harder thing to recruit is top shelf DL talent.
I was shocked when I saw that the college with the most current NFL receivers on their rosters was Texas Tech. And several of them are exactly what you describe. Don't know if it is still true but it was a year or two ago. Guess WR University is in Lubbock.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked when I saw that the college with the most current NFL receivers on their rosters was Texas Tech. And several of them are exactly what you describe. Don't know if it is still true but it was a year or two ago. Guess WR University is in Lubbock.

It’s just numbers. One thing high school has is a lot of 6 foot kids and under that are quicker than they are fast. Patterson described it also. The one thing he couldn’t recruit was DL. He could find a bunch of 6ft Safeties that he could spin down. That started his love of the nickel defense, before it became the base for most teams. Recruiting big men is where the Blue Bloods separate themselves

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s just numbers. One thing high school has is a lot of 6 foot kids and under that are quicker than they are fast. Patterson described it also. The one thing he couldn’t recruit was DL. He could find a bunch of 6ft Safeties that he could spin down. That started his love of the nickel defense, before it became the base for most teams. Recruiting big men is where the Blue Bloods separate themselves
Yep, there is much more demand for DL than there is supply. Don't see as big a disparity in the OL as in the DL.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Therein lies the problem. Unless you are talking about to top 10 or so recruits every cycle you aren't recruiting DL talent so much as developing it. Most HS linemen on both sides of the ball rely far too much on being physically dominant against inferior competition moreso than actual skill. That's why so many line recruits don't pan out at the college level relative to their recruiting ranking. You have to be able to identify players who have the proper skill-set to develop into solid dlinemen.

Clemson's all-time sack leader, Vic Beasley, was recruited as a TE but when it was apparent early on he wasn't going to be anywhere near what we needed there but had some ability to rush the passer they handed him over to Dan Brooks who turned him into ACC Defensive Player of the Year, a consensus All American, and a top ten draft pick.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn dude he went like 10-3 2 years ago? who the fuck are they gonna get that's better?
Big reason for that season was the defense that DC Jim Levitt developed. Once Uncle Phil threw a kings ranson at him to join Oregon to fix their trainwreck D, the decline occured like clockwork, and they're back to mediocre again.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therein lies the problem. Unless you are talking about to top 10 or so recruits every cycle you aren't recruiting DL talent so much as developing it. Most HS linemen on both sides of the ball rely far too much on being physically dominant against inferior competition moreso than actual skill. That's why so many line recruits don't pan out at the college level relative to their recruiting ranking. You have to be able to identify players who have the proper skill-set to develop into solid dlinemen.

Clemson's all-time sack leader, Vic Beasley, was recruited as a TE but when it was apparent early on he wasn't going to be anywhere near what we needed there but had some ability to rush the passer they handed him over to Dan Brooks who turned him into ACC Defensive Player of the Year, a consensus All American, and a top ten draft pick.

It happens. Vic Beasley was also extremely athletic. JJ watt is the most famous convert, but Most TEs end up converting to OL. There are plenty of stories. OU has a QB turned top 5 NFL pick in the draft. Most DL in the NFL were legit recruits. There just aren’t a lot of 6’5 300 LB athletes out there. You can find the occasional late bloomer, but you are most likely to find a tall skinny LB or DL in HS. I am a big believer in the spin down theory. Safeties come from High school CBs. LBs from Safeties (Arizona Cardinals have been doing this for years). That theory goes for the next cut on recruits for schools like Clemson and Texas. Take your 4 stars, but those 3 stars better be skinny, raw, and tall

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed.... over the years I've always heard the same thing many times from former coaches & players who are now TV analysts. The trenches, especially DL, is the hardest position to recruit and is the biggest separator/difference maker in recruiting for elite programs.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens. Vic Beasley was also extremely athletic. JJ watt is the most famous convert, but Most TEs end up converting to OL. There are plenty of stories. OU has a QB turned top 5 NFL pick in the draft. Most DL in the NFL were legit recruits. There just aren’t a lot of 6’5 300 LB athletes out there. You can find the occasional late bloomer, but you are most likely to find a tall skinny LB or DL in HS. I am a big believer in the spin down theory. Safeties come from High school CBs. LBs from Safeties (Arizona Cardinals have been doing this for years). That theory goes for the next cut on recruits for schools like Clemson and Texas. Take your 4 stars, but those 3 stars better be skinny, raw, and tall

I'm a firm believer that schools who can't reel in top ranked recruiting classes are better served doing what Tommy Bowden used to do for recruiting linemen on both sized of the lines: jumbo athletes. You look for TE/LB types who have the frame to carry the additional weight and grow them into linemen. You stand a far better chance of turning out a solid college lineman doing that than signing a kid who earned his stars because he dominated physically inferior competition and typically has to lose weight once they get on campus.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a firm believer that schools who can't reel in top ranked recruiting classes are better served doing what Tommy Bowden used to do for recruiting linemen on both sized of the lines: jumbo athletes. You look for TE/LB types who have the frame to carry the additional weight and grow them into linemen. You stand a far better chance of turning out a solid college lineman doing that than signing a kid who earned his stars because he dominated physically inferior competition and typically has to lose weight once they get on campus.
I agree with the development aspect you describe. But I also think those schools you describe will never consistenly beat the schools that CAN "reel in top ranked recruiting classes" no matter how well they develop the talent you describe. Who is the last national champion that didn't have several top 10-15 recruiting classes in a row? 1990 Colorado? 1984 BYU? I can't recall a school without top recruiting classes that was even close to a natty except 2010 TCU.