• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Collier to DT?

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard some speculation of this already.

It does make some sense.
Collier has the size at 6'2", 290 lbs, and seems to have the frame to put a bit more weight on of necessary. The traits that contribute to his relative lack of productivity at DE might translate better from the inside.

Still hoping he pans out. He seems motivated to succeed, and did improve some and play better last year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah thats what i expected from the get go. Rotational DT, Playing both DT and DE and i expect Hyder to do the same.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I thought the whole point of drafting him was supposed to be an eventual Michael Bennett replacement, so that makes sense... Would be interesting to have Collier/Dunlap on the same side though... although with Wright gone maybe Brooks will blitz more off the edge (he had a very high ability to do that in College but NFL of course is a different animal)?

Who knows. Seattle has a TON of DEs at the moment on their roster... it's actually pretty comical. What we don't have is DTs (glad we resigned Ford who IMO was a priority and came cheaper than Reed) so I think that's a decent probability.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I thought the whole point of drafting him was supposed to be an eventual Michael Bennett replacement, so that makes sense... Would be interesting to have Collier/Dunlap on the same side though... although with Wright gone maybe Brooks will blitz more off the edge (he had a very high ability to do that in College but NFL of course is a different animal)?

Who knows. Seattle has a TON of DEs at the moment on their roster... it's actually pretty comical. What we don't have is DTs (glad we resigned Ford who IMO was a priority and came cheaper than Reed) so I think that's a decent probability.

Looks like they added Aldon Smith to the mix also ... 1 year deal...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm I have mixed feelings about that signing. Hopefully it works out.

1 year deal so no big risk, he was hot early in the year for Dallas, fizzled later, but the long layoff could have contributed... He could be a good situational pass rusher, he’s only 31...

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year deal so no big risk, he was hot early in the year for Dallas, fizzled later, but the long layoff could have contributed... He could be a good situational pass rusher, he’s only 31...
Hire him a driver/assistant (ie: keeper) and keep him away from the bottle.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see who our DE's are right now, Teams carries 5-6 of these guys normally in a 4-3.
#1 Collier, #2 Dunlap, #3 Green, #4 Hyder, #5 Mayowa, #6 Robinson, #7 Smith, #8 Taylor no real order just alphabetical. Ok I expect Collier to play inside a lot in passing situations. But lets look at this. Who are your starters at DE? Ok Dunlap and ... Smith/Mayowa? I ask because Green has showed promise and so has Robinson and Taylor was looked at as a possible 1st round DE if 100% healthy. They also got Hyder who needs to get a little playing time also. We are disgustingly stacked with DE when only 2 can play at a time ( yes i know we slide them inside ) and 4 total linebackers on a team that has 3 of them play 45-55% of the time.

Smith was in my eyes a strange move and not worth even the effort when you look at the players fighting for time to play. Do you give a young guys snaps to smith who is out of his prime and by doing so regress or retard any growth from young guys? This move made zero sense to me to be honest.

I would give up 2 of these guys to have Wright on the roster. I would be willing to give up any 2 of our DE except Dunlap to have KJ Wright back on this team on a two year deal. I think he makes the defense better than most of those DE's.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see who our DE's are right now, Teams carries 5-6 of these guys normally in a 4-3.
#1 Collier, #2 Dunlap, #3 Green, #4 Hyder, #5 Mayowa, #6 Robinson, #7 Smith, #8 Taylor no real order just alphabetical. Ok I expect Collier to play inside a lot in passing situations. But lets look at this. Who are your starters at DE? Ok Dunlap and ... Smith/Mayowa? I ask because Green has showed promise and so has Robinson and Taylor was looked at as a possible 1st round DE if 100% healthy. They also got Hyder who needs to get a little playing time also. We are disgustingly stacked with DE when only 2 can play at a time ( yes i know we slide them inside ) and 4 total linebackers on a team that has 3 of them play 45-55% of the time.

Smith was in my eyes a strange move and not worth even the effort when you look at the players fighting for time to play. Do you give a young guys snaps to smith who is out of his prime and by doing so regress or retard any growth from young guys? This move made zero sense to me to be honest.

I would give up 2 of these guys to have Wright on the roster. I would be willing to give up any 2 of our DE except Dunlap to have KJ Wright back on this team on a two year deal. I think he makes the defense better than most of those DE's.
Linebackers are plentiful in the draft, I feel it is among the easiest position to restock in the draft while DE are hard to restock.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linebackers are plentiful in the draft, I feel it is among the easiest position to restock in the draft while DE are hard to restock.

At the very minimum we need 2 more linebackers and one has to be someone worth starting or playing a lot. This is my thing here, because we have huge needs at LB and CB for "quality" even "starting" caliber players. The need for average DE at the end of their career is very low. The need for an ABOVE AVERAGE lber on this team is higher than that of a DE and lets not forget the need for an above average CB also. Maybe they are stocking up DE's to trade some for upgrades elsewhere because we got more than we need right now. That actually kind of make sense, Hmm.

I would take an Above average Lber or CB at the end of their career over a average ( at best ) 31 year old DE. We got enough average DE's on this team. Think i will call them the "Average Joes" for the season lol

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be nice to keep KJ, but he wasn’t willing to budge on his contract, surprised just because of his age, even though his production was great, he could make that turn to regression fairly quickly... Has he signed anywhere yet ?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, KJ has had a couple really good seasons and last year was one of his best. He doesn't at all look like he is slowing down. Yes he got Injured a few seasons ago but he has been fairly healthy his whole career and one injury to a knee that slowed him down for 1 season shouldn't make you panic. It's not like he is Chris Carson or Penny who cant stay healthy at all.

This team last season would have never turned it around had KJ not been there. He is one of the reasons they were able to turn it around because of his "probowl" level play and the teams improved Pass rush. KJ was consistently one of the best players on the field on the defensive side of the ball who made big plays when they needed/had to be made.

He has earned a contract and it really sucks that he is not getting one. He deserves to get a 2 year deal at 7 to 7.5 mill per. He made $7.5 Million last season and was worth every penny. Sorry but I think Having KJ locked up for 2 years at 7 to 7.5 mill total is a win. He is in my eyes the best 31 year old FA out there and it's not even close and now I hear rumors of Richardson... WE NEED LINEBACKERS! not a 17th DL player.