• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching update

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official. Ben Johnson is now the OC. I really didnt give him enough credit during the season. Had no idea he was calling half the plays.

Also, Aaron Glenn is staying as DC. I was very afraid we were going to lose him. Seems every time we get a coordinator that is seen as successful, we lose lose them immediatly.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official. Ben Johnson is now the OC. I really didnt give him enough credit during the season. Had no idea he was calling half the plays.

Also, Aaron Glenn is staying as DC. I was very afraid we were going to lose him. Seems every time we get a coordinator that is seen as successful, we lose lose them immediatly.
I would be shocked if Glenn does not get his shot soon. Glad we get another year.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be shocked if Glenn does not get his shot soon. Glad we get another year.
We are also keeping Aubrey Pleasant too. Hopefully one more year is enough under these guys that the defense starts balling with another draft and FA. We lose Dom Capers though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Engstrand taking over as tight ends coach comes as no surprise. When the Lions gave Johnson an unofficial promotion to passing game coordinator midway through the 2021 season, it was Engstrand who took over the tight end room, according to T.J. Hockenson.

“We had Ben at the beginning of the year, and then halfway through we had Tanner, because Ben got moved up to passing game coordinator,” Hockenson said at the end of the season.

As for Sheppard, he is a former inside linebacker himself—including a one-year stint with the Lions— and should know the position well. He joined the Lions as a coach last year after serving as LSU’s director of player development for a year.

Campbell announced that to replace Sheppard’s spot at outside linebacker coach, the Lions will rely more on defensive line coach Todd Wash and current director of football research David Corrao, who was spotted coaching up some of the linebackers during the Senior Bowl last month. The reasoning for that change? The Lions will apparently rely on more four-man fronts going forward.

“As Detroit’s director of football research, Corrao has a diverse, behind-the-scenes role,” Justin Rogers said in a piece for the Detroit News, “Which included hand-on coaching opportunities with the team’s outside linebackers and defensive ends throughout last season.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is quite interesting. Maybe utilizing more 4 down Lineman fronts changes their draft a little bit as far as their edge need and the personnel they'll use or are looking for? IDK?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of Davis’ prior coaching stops was with the Raiders organization back in 2012-2013. It was Davis’ first post-college job. He’s since moved on to coaching at several college programs, most recently the DL coach at Lamar in Texas.