• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clutch gene

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
killer instinct

Jordan and Kobe > Lebron

9673A4FD-010E-47D0-97C2-9DF644838C5A.jpeg

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m glad we can all agree here.

Steven A on this was classic. “Lebron plays D when he wants”

And this doesn’t mean Lebron isn’t a great player. Just means he’s not the GOAT. I’m sure he will hear it all
Weekend in Chitown

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was true for a good chunk of his career.

But I'm not sure it's been true, at least not completely true, since probably his 2nd season in Miami.

When the Heat lost that first finals to the Mavs, Lebron was bashed mercilessly for it.

That seemed to change something in him and he developed much more of a killer instinct because of it.

I wouldn't necessarily put him at the same level as MJ and Kobe, but that's because MJ and Kobe are so ridiculous about it that it should probably count as a mental illness. lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Clutch gene = Gunner?

Because, LeBron has been better in the Klutch, pun intended, than Kobe, historically.

Yes, Kobe and MJ were more willing to shoot it.

But, if that's the barometer...

I guess Westbrook, Kuzma, Mitchell, Clarkson, Devin Booker all have the Clutch Gene too?

Fuq outta here.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Da fuq? I can’t read all that shit.

I will say after thinking waaaay back Kobe is not as clutch as people say now. I’m just stirring up shit. He was a killer tho. He’d put a dagger in ya

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Da fuq? I can’t read all that shit.

I will say after thinking waaaay back Kobe is not as clutch as people say now. I’m just stirring up shit. He was a killer tho. He’d put a dagger in ya
Yeah..

I don't see LeBron in Jordan's tier.

He's way more Magic Johnson.

But, Kobe isn't either.

Imo....its Jordan, KAJ -----------> ERRRBODY else

Ps. Reggie Miller had the clutch gene.

But, wasn't on any of these guys level the other 40 minutes of the game.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
killer instinct

Jordan and Kobe > Lebron

View attachment 198515

MJ's the GOAT. Nobody else. But I do think it's funny that through 15 full seasons LeBron averages more points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, has a better FG% & even a better 3 pt. % than Kobe. And if I remember the #'s correctly LeBron's hit a better % of end of game/OT winners than Jellybean Bryant.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah..

I don't see LeBron in Jordan's tier.

He's way more Magic Johnson.

But, Kobe isn't either.

Imo....its Jordan, KAJ -----------> ERRRBODY else

Ps. Reggie Miller had the clutch gene.

But, wasn't on any of these guys level the other 40 minutes of the game.

Reggie Miller was a great shooter. He was also skinny AF in a time where when these guys went into the lane they got hammered.

You imagine Lebron and Shaw Diesel on the same team in Shaqs prime with Phil, Horry, D Fish?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ's the GOAT. Nobody else. But I do think it's funny that through 15 full seasons LeBron averages more points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, has a better FG% & even a better 3 pt. % than Kobe. And if I remember the #'s correctly LeBron's hit a better % of end of game/OT winners than Jellybean Bryant.

Oh you could say Kobe has more of the ball hog gene and Lebron does not. I’m just stirring up shit on the NBA board. Happens about once a year

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you could say Kobe has more of the ball hog gene and Lebron does not. I’m just stirring up shit on the NBA board. Happens about once a year

Stirring some shit up from time to time can be fun. Especially w/ this topic.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was true for a good chunk of his career.

But I'm not sure it's been true, at least not completely true, since probably his 2nd season in Miami.

When the Heat lost that first finals to the Mavs, Lebron was bashed mercilessly for it.

That seemed to change something in him and he developed much more of a killer instinct because of it.

I wouldn't necessarily put him at the same level as MJ and Kobe, but that's because MJ and Kobe are so ridiculous about it that it should probably count as a mental illness. lol
I think Lebron didn't want to step on Wade's toes year one. After that, he finally realized he is the best player in the world and maybe he shouldn't care.

As for clutch, in so-called clutch shots, Lebron makes them at a better rate than both MJ and Kobe.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Clutch gene = Gunner?

Because, LeBron has been better in the Klutch, pun intended, than Kobe, historically.

Yes, Kobe and MJ were more willing to shoot it.

But, if that's the barometer...

I guess Westbrook, Kuzma, Mitchell, Clarkson, Devin Booker all have the Clutch Gene too?

Fuq outta here.
Not even buying a "clutch gene". will these guys shoot these shots? Sure. But numbers I've seen are MJ makes a lower % of clutch shots than all other shots he takes. Think the same for Lebron and definitely for Kobe.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is why this whole clutch narrative is absurd to me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lebron didn't want to step on Wade's toes year one. After that, he finally realized he is the best player in the world and maybe he shouldn't care.

As for clutch, in so-called clutch shots, Lebron makes them at a better rate than both MJ and Kobe.

Agree. I think 2 things happened after that first season.

As you point out, Lebron didn't want to step on D-Wades toes because the Heat were "his team" and Lebron also realized that he was the best player and needed to take the lead.

Perhaps even more important, D-Wade also realized that Lebron was the best player in the world and took a step back.

As for clutch/killer instinct, I think Lebron still gets looked at as "less clutch" because of the times that he has deferred to lesser players late in games during his career.

That's not really a fair criticism, imo, because it's not like MJ and Kobe never deferred.

Plus, I think most agree that Lebron's game has always been more Magic than MJ or Kobe and no one says Magic wasn't clutch or questioned his killer instinct.

Last edited:

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Jordone ever win a series were he wasn't favored. Clutch isn't winning with a stacked team. Same way i don't look at Durant as clutch for joining the GS warriors.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Jordone ever win a series were he wasn't favored. Clutch isn't winning with a stacked team. Same way i don't look at Durant as clutch for joining the GS warriors.

You're not talking about the same thing. 'Clutch' comes from 'in the clutch'. Its how you perform late in a close game where your shot means the difference between winning and losing. How do you perform in those moments?

Doesn't matter how good your team is. All teams, even stacked ones, even favored ones, have games that are very close and come down to if your guys make plays under pressure or not. Jordan did that, plenty. So did/does LeBron. Both more than Kobe.