• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Long is expected to be let go after the season

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis Rams DE Chris Long Could be Cap Casualty in 2016 | Yardbarker.com

In a pre-draft mailbag column, ESPN St. Louis Rams reporter Nick Wagoner fielded a question from a reader asking which among linebacker James Laurinaitis or defensive end Chris Long would the Rams try to replace first.

Wagoner believes that the Rams will attempt to move on from Long in 2016, citing Laurinaitis’ leadership, relatively low cap number and on-field durability for reasons he should stay. Meanwhile Long, the Rams’ first-round pick in 2008, could find himself a cap casualty next year.

While Long’s durability hadn’t been an issue until 2014, having played in 97 consecutive games dating back to his rookie season, he did miss 10 games last year with an ankle injury that required surgical intervention in September. He was placed on the injured reserve list and totaled just five combined tackles, one sack and a forced fumble on the year.

Long has been a stalwart on St. Louis’ defense, totaling 227 career tackles, 51.5 sacks, seven forced fumbles and five fumbles recovered since entering the NFL. However, his cap numbers for the next two years may be too high to justify paying them out to a pass-rusher over the age of 30. Long is set to make a total of $12.5 million in 2016 and $14.25 million in 2017.

There are a number of quality edge rushers in the 2015 draft class, players who would not just come cheaper than Long in the next two years but also provide the Rams with seven or eight years of quality play, just as Long has for the majority of his career. Teams love to get younger and cheaper at key positions such as edge rusher, and the Rams should be no different.

Long has been valuable to the Rams for years. But an ankle injury, a 30th birthday and an eight-figure cap hit do not mix in today’s NFL. Unless Long has a banner season in 2015, look for the Rams to move on from him in a year.[\quote]

I think we can not discount his salary, but I want to see how he performs this year after last years down year. All I know is that the defense played better when he came back.

Laurinatis is almost finished in my opinion.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it will come down to his performance and ability to stay healthy.

I don't see the Rams going after another edge rusher in the draft to replace him. If there is another Donald type value for a DE I wont blame the Rams for taking a shot.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Bud could be the pick…

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of these pass rush prospects are anywhere near what Long was coming out of college

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of these pass rush prospects are anywhere near what Long was coming out of college

If Gregory was at least 25 lbs heavier and stronger, he would be a solid option.

Rams could use a day 3 pick on someone like Frank Clark, if they think he's past his issues (domestic violence).

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a little early to be worrying about the 2016 salary cap, no? Too many things can happen between then and now which could change everything. For example, What if he re-negotiates to lessen the cap hit? what if he has a monster year this year?

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face the facts, even when he came back from injury last year, he was pretty invisible. If you go into the draft thinking, I might have to replace this guy this year or further down the road, that is a thought process you might want to have.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's face the facts, even when he came back from injury last year, he was pretty invisible. If you go into the draft thinking, I might have to replace this guy this year or further down the road, that is a thought process you might want to have.

This is all coming out now for a reason. The organization is trying to prod Long to see how he reacts after a disappointing season last year. If he can stay injury free, I'd expect big things from him this year. Most players play very well when they think its their walk year.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been the heart of our defense for some time, but they can't justify bringing Long back with that kind of salary for 2016 if he even has a good year. That money can be better spent re-signing some of our younger players and acquiring impact free agents.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for being pro-active. Long is expensive, getting up there in football age, and has been injured.

Like SJ, I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for draft picks.

He's not going to be on the banner for sure now!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you guys are seeing the light I've been saying this for months. if Cooper, White and Scherff are gone the Rams could go D line and try to trade Long. Oakland would be a good choice they have the cap room and need a pass rusher. Not to mention the ties to Oakland too. Oakland's 3rd rd pick would be idea.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you guys are seeing the light I've been saying this for months. if Cooper, White and Scherff are gone the Rams could go D line and try to trade Long. Oakland would be a good choice they have the cap room and need a pass rusher. Not to mention the ties to Oakland too. Oakland's 3rd rd pick would be idea.
Long is probably close to untradable with his current contract. It looks like it was designed to be busted up with ridiculous incentives.

The edge rushers in this draft arent that good

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long is probably close to untradable with his current contract. It looks like it was designed to be busted up with ridiculous incentives.

The edge rushers in this draft arent that good

I think Bud Dupree has the potential certainly to be a very good. He's bigger than long and has all the measurable's. Absolutely destroyed the combine. he's faster than Ogletree which is amazing for his size. At worst he should be just as good as long for A fraction of the cost. Our D line would then be set for the next four to five years then.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his old man was a star at a highschool in town here.

he aint his old man...4 nice to great seasons in a row, but hes 30 now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bud Dupree has the potential certainly to be a very good. He's bigger than long and has all the measurable's. Absolutely destroyed the combine.
His career accomplishment is destroying the combine. He is a project.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His career accomplishment is destroying the combine. He is a project.

He was good at Kentucky. I remember watching him when Mizzou played them. They lined him up all over the place though not just one position where I think He will do better once he gets in his spot. Yes the combine did shoot him up some but i think he still would have been a first-round pick. I do wish Gregory was 40 pounds heavier but he's just to small imo. not to mention the off field stuff. And how could Shane Ray be soooo dumb! They were saying he could fall to the 2nd or 3rd rd now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a little early to be worrying about the 2016 salary cap, no? Too many things can happen between then and now which could change everything. For example, What if he re-negotiates to lessen the cap hit? what if he has a monster year this year?

He's already renegotiated his current contract at least once. Plus, not only is Long a potential casualty, but both backups are free agents next season (Hayes, Sims). DE is a good possibility in this week's draft, but I wouldn't expect an early pick used there.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already renegotiated his current contract at least once. Plus, not only is Long a potential casualty, but both backups are free agents next season (Hayes, Sims). DE is a good possibility in this week's draft, but I wouldn't expect an early pick used there.

Yes I remember he did that, but I wouldn't put it past him to do it again. If anyone would be willing, its a guy like Long. Of course, I could be wrong though. After the whole Bradford saga where he refused to re-negotiate, I think everyone knows the Rams mean business now. If the starting QB can go, anyone can go next.

I didn't realize both of them(Hayes, Sims) are FA's next year. Definitely not a good thing since those guys will certainly get offers from NFL teams and probably good ones too. Guess we do need to draft a DE, but like you said, I wouldn't expect it to be an early pick. Too many other starting needs to be drafting backups early on who MIGHT start in a year or two.