• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly was interested in USC job

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did USC refuse to offer Chip Kelly their coaching job for fear of rejection?

"I think Chip Kelly wanted to be the USC coach... I have heard that from a couple different people that are around the program, and vetted that out a little bit."

Klatt went on to explain why the Trojans never seriously pursued Kelly. It wasn't so much that they weren't interested, and it certainly wasn't that Kelly was interested. Instead, it was because of the ego of former USC athletic director Pat Haden.

"Because Pat Haden didn't want to be told no," Klatt said. "Again, I've said this before, I think Pat Haden was incredibly insecure as an athletic director. He wanted everyone to tell him how good he was, he wanted everyone to tell him that they wanted to come work at his place. He didn't want to have go out there and convince somebody, at the risk of them telling him no.

I think that he thought Chip Kelly was too much of a risk. Because it might turn up egg on his face if Chip Kelly decided to politefully decline like Chris Petersen did from Washington. I think Chip wanted the job, he would have taken the job, and it was given Clay Helton kind of, at midnight [if you will]."

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC just needs to stop with all the inbred hires and find people right for the jobs ... I'm not talking just head football coach.

Once they can get that straightened out ... they'll be a force to reckon with nationally yet again. USC is the very definition of a sleeping giant.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, am GLAD ol' Chipper ain't at SC. I think he was avoided because SC wasn't taking any chances on a coach that was potentionally LOIC material...

This was ONE decision Haden got right, IMO...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly molests collies.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, am GLAD ol' Chipper ain't at SC. I think he was avoided because SC wasn't taking any chances on a coach that was potentionally LOIC material...

But the OD meltdown would have been of biblical proportions

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did USC refuse to offer Chip Kelly their coaching job for fear of rejection?

"I think Chip Kelly wanted to be the USC coach... I have heard that from a couple different people that are around the program, and vetted that out a little bit."

Klatt went on to explain why the Trojans never seriously pursued Kelly. It wasn't so much that they weren't interested, and it certainly wasn't that Kelly was interested. Instead, it was because of the ego of former USC athletic director Pat Haden.

"Because Pat Haden didn't want to be told no," Klatt said. "Again, I've said this before, I think Pat Haden was incredibly insecure as an athletic director. He wanted everyone to tell him how good he was, he wanted everyone to tell him that they wanted to come work at his place. He didn't want to have go out there and convince somebody, at the risk of them telling him no.

I think that he thought Chip Kelly was too much of a risk. Because it might turn up egg on his face if Chip Kelly decided to politefully decline like Chris Petersen did from Washington. I think Chip wanted the job, he would have taken the job, and it was given Clay Helton kind of, at midnight [if you will]."
Isn't that like two year old news?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Chip Kelly was handed a show-cause, no self-respecting college program should be looking at him. Given Southern Cal's history with the NCAA, Kelly would have been a very poor choice.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh not this shit with the whole Chip Kelly thing again lol

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joel Klatt, you say?

Yeah, didn't read.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article smells worse than a Oregon coed.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC just needs to stop with all the inbred hires and find people right for the jobs ... I'm not talking just head football coach.

Once they can get that straightened out ... they'll be a force to reckon with nationally yet again. USC is the very definition of a sleeping giant.

I absolutely agree with this. Alabama used to also be terrible with only hiring 'Bear's Boys' and not the best coach. We went through a spell where we were hiring awful coach after awful coach just because they had some kind of tie to Alabama. Luckily, Mal Moore broke that with Saban, who was the best coach then, and is now, and before coming had zero ties to the University.

Lynn Swann was also an awful choice as AD.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm hoping they ditch Helton and bring Herman back home to to California. Herman was who I was hoping for last year. I know some trojan fans didn't agree. But I would have liked to see SC test the market on a coach before the Helton hire.I know the players responded to Helton last year. But it isn't looking like the players like him so much anymore. This team has no discipline

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one and done rule killed college basketball and now USC is bringing that rule into CFB, however I am not sure it's the same with coaches.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess if Haden's afraid to be turned down, he never worked in sales.

Just how did he make his money, besides commentating at games and such