• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chernobyl

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking the idiot woman that microwaved her fetus?

Yup yup.

Apparently the baby took all the exposure and saved her (maybe I didn’t hear the scripted line right)?

That doesn’t seem plausible.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup yup.

Apparently the baby took all the exposure and saved her (maybe I didn’t hear the scripted line right)?

That doesn’t seem plausible.

Absorbed was the word used, I believe. Seems far-fetched, but who knows? They pretty much take everything from the Mom, so...maybe. Likely just to drive the story-line tho.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night's episode was tough to watch...me being an animal lover and all.

I feel like a huge pussy for saying this, but the scenes with the animals probably bothered me more than anything I've seen in years. I think it just goes to show how desensitized I've become from seeing humans being killed in movies/TV shows.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like a huge pussy for saying this, but the scenes with the animals probably bothered me more than anything I've seen in years. I think it just goes to show how desensitized I've become from seeing humans being killed in movies/TV shows.
I feel the opposite...so many times humans deserve their fate. Animals, not so much.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk why but seeing animals getting killed by humans bothers me more than just about anything.

That doesn’t make you a pussy. That makes you human. I think we’ve all gotten at least somewhat desensitized to humans getting killed. I just think it’s harder to get desensitized to animals dying.

It was brutal and a long watch and then more brutal again. Very sad to watch.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And there you go....nearly 30 years earlier they ran much the same cover up playbook.

And they certainly were a billion times more haphazard then. Maybe it’s one of those weird good things that they learned from this incident how bad it is to not be careful. Imagine the Chernobyl response if they handled it like 30 years earlier.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And there you go....nearly 30 years earlier they ran much the same cover up playbook.

And they certainly were a billion times more haphazard then. Maybe it’s one of those weird good things that they learned from this incident how bad it is to not be careful. Imagine the Chernobyl response if they handled it like 30 years earlier.
Is the The Polygon story? There's a really interesting documentary on Amazon about that.

Last edited:

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the The Polygon story? There's a really interesting documentary on Amazon about that.

No. The Polygon story is in Kazakhstan. This story was from an incident in the Ural Mountains.

Basically they nukes out there with no concern for the Kazakhs. Very similar to our Nevada tests, except we clearly made much more effort to be away from people and keep the people away. When they finally pulled the secrecy back they ended up having to totally evacuate whole cities (the polygon) and left many tunnels in the mountains full of plutonium waste. Yeah.

I remember a Vice story on the impact on the people, even babies born today.

What a legacy of a people that we can be here commenting on the worst man made disaster ever, have it come up that there was another (smaller, but similar) incident....and then have that incident confused with yet another horrendous thing that happened.....it’s fascinating to me.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gi...e-semipalatinsk-nuclear-test-site-5988266/amp

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend watching the documentary " Cafe Chernobyl. " it's very interesting and it's showing signs of life today in Chernobyl. Apparently people can live in their houses for a maximum of 15 days and then they have to leave for 15 days. And they have tours running daily and one of the stops is this cafe.

About a year after the accident, Phil Donahue filmed his talk show for a week in Russia.
A WEEK OF 'DONAHUE' TAPED IN SOVIET UNION
I recorded it on Beta at the time. Must've never transferred it over to VHS.

One day of the show was in Chernobyl. As best I recall, at that time none of the "experts" were willing to pick a number as to how many years it would be before things (such as plants) started growing again.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About a year after the accident, Phil Donahue filmed his talk show for a week in Russia.
A WEEK OF 'DONAHUE' TAPED IN SOVIET UNION
I recorded it on Beta at the time. Must've never transferred it over to VHS.

One day of the show was in Chernobyl. As best I recall, at that time none of the "experts" were willing to pick a number as to how many years it would be before things (such as plants) started growing again.

Very interesting.

Also....LOL at Beta

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend watching the documentary " Cafe Chernobyl. " it's very interesting and it's showing signs of life today in Chernobyl. Apparently people can live in their houses for a maximum of 15 days and then they have to leave for 15 days. And they have tours running daily and one of the stops is this cafe.

Watched this tonight. Phenomenal. The accident and immediate aftermath are covered so well in the series. This shows well what the area is like now. Very good view.

And here I wondered if the “bridge of death” was embellished for drama in the show....

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a post here that mentioned the animal killing before I watched the episode and I actually thought it would be worse than it was. Thankfully all of it was implied rather than them trying to film realistic portrayals, which would have been very difficult with cats and dogs without actually killing them.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a post here that mentioned the animal killing before I watched the episode and I actually thought it would be worse than it was. Thankfully all of it was implied rather than them trying to film realistic portrayals, which would have been very difficult with cats and dogs without actually killing them.

I mean....yeah....it was implied. As in....they didn’t actually harm or kill any animals. And yes, most of it was implied as in animals were not shown being shot. But that one shot where he injured but didn’t kill the dog....and it’s looking at him and sitting lame....that was just the one that stuck in my head. That and that the whole storyline felt agonizingly long.

It did actually give me some reconciliation listening to the podcast and Mazin stating that there were even more brutal stories from this storyline that they did not even try to go with.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a series. Wow.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great show. Thought after the 4th episode is was going to limp home but nope, the breakdown and flashback scenes we're perfect.

The ending bringing it all full circle with pictures and the stories was great, too.

One of the best acted shows I've every seen.