• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chernobyl

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_o687f5ILnt1r94kvzo3_400.gif

Thats horrifying. Is that workers up on the roof?

I saw this in a doc....they would "equip" these guys like so and send them up to the roof for 1-2 minutes at a time with a shovel to scoop up debris and toss it into the gaping hole of the reactor.

They were scooping up chunks or reactor graphite teaming with massive radiation.....I am sure these suits really helped.

It also reminded me how I chuckled when they were reporting in the show how their meters were at 3.6. Oh...thats not bad. Its the max the machines can read. But no, its not bad. Denial at its best. Wow.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats horrifying. Is that workers up on the roof?

I saw this in a doc....they would "equip" these guys like so and send them up to the roof for 1-2 minutes at a time with a shovel to scoop up debris and toss it into the gaping hole of the reactor.

They were scooping up chunks or reactor graphite teaming with massive radiation.....I am sure these suits really helped.

It also reminded me how I chuckled when they were reporting in the show how their meters were at 3.6. Oh...thats not bad. Its the max the machines can read. But no, its not bad. Denial at its best. Wow.
Typical Cold War Soviet Union approach to thing. The tragic part aside from the immediate disaster is we won't ever really know how many lives were affected

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ep 2 was fantastic. About the only solid “Hollywood” bit was I’m sure the main characters here were not right oh site or up against the building so much.

Other than that.....I’m sure it all went down a lot like we are being shown. This is very very well done.

The divers going in at the end was just horrifying!

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife caught up last night and I thought there was another episode waiting...was bummed we have to wait until Monday.

I have watched a couple documentaries on youtube about it. Fascinating stuff.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife caught up last night and I thought there was another episode waiting...was bummed we have to wait until Monday.

I have watched a couple documentaries on youtube about it. Fascinating stuff.

YouTube caught me looking at the preview on HBONow and started throwing documentary stuff. Really wet my appetite on this.

I was also upset I had to wait until Monday. If this was on Netflix I would have called into work and streamed it all out in one shot.

Apparently the three divers not only lived, but the first one didn’t pass until 2005, and at least one (possibly both) of the remaining divers are still alive. Unreal!

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ep 2 was fantastic. About the only solid “Hollywood” bit was I’m sure the main characters here were not right oh site or up against the building so much.

Other than that.....I’m sure it all went down a lot like we are being shown. This is very very well done.

The divers going in at the end was just horrifying!
Yeah that would be a very frightening experience. Can you imagine going on a mission knowing that you are not coming out of it alive? I just can't imagine what was going through the minds of those three individuals. The ending of episode two with the flashlights going out for those three guys had to be a frightening situation.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that would be a very frightening experience. Can you imagine going on a mission knowing that you are not coming out of it alive? I just can't imagine what was going through the minds of those three individuals. The ending of episode two with the flashlights going out for those three guys had to be a frightening situation.
Edit: I didn't realize the three actually lived through this, but still the odds for survival were heavily against them.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YouTube caught me looking at the preview on HBONow and started throwing documentary stuff. Really wet my appetite on this.

I was also upset I had to wait until Monday. If this was on Netflix I would have called into work and streamed it all out in one shot.

Apparently the three divers not only lived, but the first one didn’t pass until 2005, and at least one (possibly both) of the remaining divers are still alive. Unreal!
I know this is a real event and all, but don't spoil it like that, man!

I know all about the Chernobyl event, but I don't know the details that they are getting into on the show. I am really loving it.

working at a nuclear plant, I can't help to think "oh, we would have done this" or "this is going to need this corrective action"

but really, they were fucked.

all because that one dude refuse to accept that the reactor was open

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is showing more of them not understanding what the hell an open reactor even meant. I loved the gorby line of basically saying we have power because people believe we are powerful.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is showing more of them not understanding what the hell an open reactor even meant. I loved the gorby line of basically saying we have power because people believe we are powerful.

It's that system that was in place. Don't question. The messenger (almost) always gets shot. It makes what Legasov did all the more. From everything I have seen this was how it went down. I am not sure he made a fucking outburst in front of Gorbachev, but the story seems pretty well sussed out that he was the one sounding an alarm in a system that punished alarm sounders.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a real event and all, but don't spoil it like that, man!

I know all about the Chernobyl event, but I don't know the details that they are getting into on the show. I am really loving it.

working at a nuclear plant, I can't help to think "oh, we would have done this" or "this is going to need this corrective action"

Do we need to revisit spoiler rules, specifically since this is a real life event with lots of info out there?

I am not so sure we see these three guys too much more in this story. They open the valve, they make it out, a quick note that two of them are still alive at the very end.

Not really much of a spoiler.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we need to revisit spoiler rules, specifically since this is a real life event with lots of info out there?

I am not so sure we see these three guys too much more in this story. They open the valve, they make it out, a quick note that two of them are still alive at the very end.

Not really much of a spoiler.
well the episode ended without them saying the valve was open

obviously, since we still are able to inhabit that land, it didn't blow, but still

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend watching the documentary " Cafe Chernobyl. " it's very interesting and it's showing signs of life today in Chernobyl. Apparently people can live in their houses for a maximum of 15 days and then they have to leave for 15 days. And they have tours running daily and one of the stops is this cafe.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dumb bitch...

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the episode ended without them saying the valve was open

obviously, since we still are able to inhabit that land, it didn't blow, but still
They basically said it was, since they came out in a celebratory manner.

Plus, IRL and stuff.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They basically said it was, since they came out in a celebratory manner.

Plus, IRL and stuff.

I swear I saw something in a documentary the other day that said they got in there and found no water that could lead to such a thermal explosion.

First I’d heard of that. Of course the doc was from RT....so who knows.

As the show goes....I agree. Heavily inferred (clearly inferred) based on the celebratory moment when the three came out. Perhaps it was just no so simple to film the opening the valve in the dark like that. Cinematography.

I do remember as they popped bottles someone saying something like “good, get the pumps going”.

Reactions: gob