• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Night Football: Chargers @ Kansas City on Amazon Prime and NFL+

Who Will Win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine kept freezing too. PRIME will need to fix that soon.
I found this:

Amazon suffered various teething problems during its first broadcast of Thursday Night Football (TNF), with viewers complaining of poor video quality and buffering during the National Football League (NFL) broadcast.

The internet giant is reportedly paying north of US$1 billion per year to be the exclusive broadcaster of TNF for the next decade, having previously shared the rights with a linear broadcaster.

The deal marks the first time the NFL has made an entire package of games available exclusively on a streaming service, a move that was likely to cause a period of adjustment for fans.

Many viewers who tuned in for the Kansas City Chiefs versus the Los Angeles Chargers noted the disappointing picture quality, regular freezing and choppy feed. Cable customers also took the chance to again complain about having to sign up for Amazon Prime to watch TNF.

An Amazon Prime subscription costs US$14.99 a month or US$139 a year. A Prime Video membership costs US$8.99 a month. Fans can also access a 30-day free trial.

The streaming issues were not universal, but it compounds a tricky first week for the NFL on the over-the-top (OTT) front.

YouTube TV suffered errors when fans tried to purchase NFL RedZone, while the new NFL+ service had usability issues including fast-forward malfunctions. DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket website and app crashed on opening weekend, preventing some from accessing the stream. Error messages also hit Sling TV subscribers, stopping them from viewing RedZone.

SportsPro says…

The general consensus was that Prime Video held up during preseason, but its TNF debut was always going to be a different challenge due to increased traffic.

Technical gremlins, amplified by skeptical fans, are nothing new. But they are becoming all too frequent for OTT platforms. Notably, CBS All Access crashed at the start of last year’s Super Bowl.

If streaming really wants to unseat linear TV as the favoured way of watching sport, then its technical infrastructure needs to be watertight. Considering the NFL’s leaky first week of coverage, there are many gaps to plug.

Glad I had no issues watching.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wound up watching it on Twitch because it was a few seconds ahead of Amazon.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first time I've watched a sports event on streaming and I was disappointed by the quality of the picture. In general, the picture was well below the quality I've grown accustomed to on cable. Motion was very disruptive and choppy, similar to the early flat screens that had a low refresh rate.

I found it quite annoying and it's unlikely I'll watch THF again.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its not prime its your IP get a better one:suds:
It might be my WIFI but it's not the provider. COX and not basic. I'm not quite ready to go GIG but I'm close to doing so.

I might run a CAT5 directly to the hub my TV is connected to next Thursday to see if it makes a difference.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers D held the Raiders to 19 with 3 Derek Carr Interceptions and technically held the Chiefs to 20 with 3 Mahomes turnover worthy plays. Not sure what chance the Jags, Texans and Browns have the next three weeks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers D held the Raiders to 19 with 3 Derek Carr Interceptions and technically held the Chiefs to 20 with 3 Mahomes turnover worthy plays. Not sure what chance the Jags, Texans and Browns have the next three weeks.
I am gonna say they all get waxed, imo.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this:

Amazon suffered various teething problems during its first broadcast of Thursday Night Football (TNF), with viewers complaining of poor video quality and buffering during the National Football League (NFL) broadcast.

The internet giant is reportedly paying north of US$1 billion per year to be the exclusive broadcaster of TNF for the next decade, having previously shared the rights with a linear broadcaster.

The deal marks the first time the NFL has made an entire package of games available exclusively on a streaming service, a move that was likely to cause a period of adjustment for fans.

Many viewers who tuned in for the Kansas City Chiefs versus the Los Angeles Chargers noted the disappointing picture quality, regular freezing and choppy feed. Cable customers also took the chance to again complain about having to sign up for Amazon Prime to watch TNF.

An Amazon Prime subscription costs US$14.99 a month or US$139 a year. A Prime Video membership costs US$8.99 a month. Fans can also access a 30-day free trial.

The streaming issues were not universal, but it compounds a tricky first week for the NFL on the over-the-top (OTT) front.

YouTube TV suffered errors when fans tried to purchase NFL RedZone, while the new NFL+ service had usability issues including fast-forward malfunctions. DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket website and app crashed on opening weekend, preventing some from accessing the stream. Error messages also hit Sling TV subscribers, stopping them from viewing RedZone.

SportsPro says…

The general consensus was that Prime Video held up during preseason, but its TNF debut was always going to be a different challenge due to increased traffic.

Technical gremlins, amplified by skeptical fans, are nothing new. But they are becoming all too frequent for OTT platforms. Notably, CBS All Access crashed at the start of last year’s Super Bowl.

If streaming really wants to unseat linear TV as the favoured way of watching sport, then its technical infrastructure needs to be watertight. Considering the NFL’s leaky first week of coverage, there are many gaps to plug.

Glad I had no issues watching.

Merci TSN

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am gonna say they all get waxed, imo.
Probably. Chiefs only converting 1/3 of their third down conversions is very low, though, so Im not sure if thats just a 1 game thing or the Chargers D is elite. I think the Chiefs had 3 drives stall after having 2nd and short. Maybe it was just two drives. Regardless, that type of thing didnt happen much last year.