• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Changing from Mediocrity

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Gase and the other coaches as the problem. Sure, these guys could be better but the team usually wins half of their games every year. Bad coaches win less games unless we think the Fins have a very talented roster and not an average roster. Too many coaching changes hinder a team from being able to compete. If I were Ross I would be patient with the coaches and focus on adding more talent.

I think lack of depth on the roster is a big part of the problem. Injuries on the oline contributed to an end to an early winning streak. The better teams have better depth on the roster. Also, if your QB gets sacked 9 times(even against an elite dline) that is an indicator there is a big problem. In addition, better QBs get rid of the ball sooner. Also the coaches need to have guys better prepared to step up. To the team's credit Ballage looked more than ready when Gore got hurt. The Fins need an Oline like the Saints. They are consistent every game and every year.

The Fins have some big decisions to make: Is Tannehill the QB that the Fins need for the future? If they are not sold on him then adding or developing the best QB possible has to be the top priority.

The Fins will need to absolutely nail the next draft even though they will be picking in the middle again. It's not impossible but harder with later picks. The Fins also will need to sign the right FAs to rise above the pattern of mediocrity.

The consolation to this non playoff season was the home win against the Pats. Next year how about a win in Gillette? That would be a good goal for an AFC East team. As a Fins fan that would be like winning the Superbowl.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Gase and the other coaches as the problem. Sure, these guys could be better but the team usually wins half of their games every year. Bad coaches win less games unless we think the Fins have a very talented roster and not an average roster. Too many coaching changes hinder a team from being able to compete. If I were Ross I would be patient with the coaches and focus on adding more talent.

I think lack of depth on the roster is a big part of the problem. Injuries on the oline contributed to an end to an early winning streak. The better teams have better depth on the roster. Also, if your QB gets sacked 9 times(even against an elite dline) that is an indicator there is a big problem. In addition, better QBs get rid of the ball sooner. Also the coaches need to have guys better prepared to step up. To the team's credit Ballage looked more than ready when Gore got hurt. The Fins need an Oline like the Saints. They are consistent every game and every year.

The Fins have some big decisions to make: Is Tannehill the QB that the Fins need for the future? If they are not sold on him then adding or developing the best QB possible has to be the top priority.

The Fins will need to absolutely nail the next draft even though they will be picking in the middle again. It's not impossible but harder with later picks. The Fins also will need to sign the right FAs to rise above the pattern of mediocrity.

The consolation to this non playoff season was the home win against the Pats. Next year how about a win in Gillette? That would be a good goal for an AFC East team. As a Fins fan that would be like winning the Superbowl.
I usually agree with you but I believe that Gase is the problem. Sure Tanny isn't perfect and they should be trying to improve the QB position but you need a coach who understands the weaknesses of his own team. Also smart enough to go with what works. How many drives were stopped only needing short yardage and he calls a pass 25 yards down field that has no chance? Check out the comment below from another poster he's dead on:

T-hill and the team I don’t have a problem with. As I have said before it’s Gase and his pathetic coaching and scheming. The guy is a bum. This O-line is not suited for pass protection. Gase has the offensive weapons (when healthy) to run his Scheme, but the O-line can’t pass block to save their lives. A good coach would scheme to his teams strength, which is run the damn ball. Gase needs to be fired immediately. We were all wrong about this guy. Time to move on because he is too pig headed to change his philosophy. Run the damn ball. If Gase had committed to running the ball when we had it going against Cincy, GB and Indy we would have 3 more wins to boot and a building confidence and swagger by imposing our will on opponents. I’m just so frustrated with this team because the clear problem is coaching not T-hill. He had us in position to when games but Gase screws shit up everytime. Does he not know his line cannot pass block. Stevie Wonder can see that…….geez what the fuck!!!!

larry

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals fan here, but my gf is diehard Dolphin fan so I watch yall plenty. #1 thing I see is the OL needs to be bolstered. Tannehill isnt the answer, but what he can give is hampered by that primarily and shaky WRs secondarily. Also obviously need to look at shoring up RB, Gore is up there in years. Give Drake a new platoonmate.

Many of your issues are similar to what my Bengals are going through, and similarly, it might behoove you to go all in on elite defense this draft and find some stop gaps for offense. I feel like the AFC East, a filthy defense (yours is solid already) might get you to the playoffs next year. Obviously offense is your real issue, just not sure what to tell you there. Unless there's a franchise QB sitting there in Rd 1. Tannehill is a liability.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually agree with you but I believe that Gase is the problem. Sure Tanny isn't perfect and they should be trying to improve the QB position but you need a coach who understands the weaknesses of his own team. Also smart enough to go with what works. How many drives were stopped only needing short yardage and he calls a pass 25 yards down field that has no chance? Check out the comment below from another poster he's dead on:

FlyerFinFan,

The problem with changing coaches is that it takes players and the new coaching staff time to learn the system. The Pats have had the same head coach for nearly 20 years. They have a system in place that works. If the Fins make a change then how long would it take for the next coach to be able to compete with them? Also, who is the coach that is available who is better than Gase?

RE the QB: If a QB like Mahomes were leading the Fins' offense they would be a lot better. I am not so sure that THill is the guy to lead the team to a Superbowl.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals fan here, but my gf is diehard Dolphin fan so I watch yall plenty. #1 thing I see is the OL needs to be bolstered. Tannehill isnt the answer, but what he can give is hampered by that primarily and shaky WRs secondarily. Also obviously need to look at shoring up RB, Gore is up there in years. Give Drake a new platoonmate.

Many of your issues are similar to what my Bengals are going through, and similarly, it might behoove you to go all in on elite defense this draft and find some stop gaps for offense. I feel like the AFC East, a filthy defense (yours is solid already) might get you to the playoffs next year. Obviously offense is your real issue, just not sure what to tell you there. Unless there's a franchise QB sitting there in Rd 1. Tannehill is a liability.

Agreed on the Oline. It would make the RBs and QB better. There are some quality starters but they need more from that positional group. Also a good oline sustains drives which would help the defense.

The Fins need an identity. You could be right about building a dominant defense with the picks as a goal.

RE replacing THill: The Fins seldom get a top 5 or even top 10 pick. They will need to find a QB later in the draft or add a FA QB. I mentioned Mahomes. He was picked at #10. Sometimes Championship QBs can be found even later in the draft.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the Oline. It would make the RBs and QB better. There are some quality starters but they need more from that positional group. Also a good oline sustains drives which would help the defense.

The Fins need an identity. You could be right about building a dominant defense with the picks as a goal.

RE replacing THill: The Fins seldom get a top 5 or even top 10 pick. They will need to find a QB later in the draft or add a FA QB. I mentioned Mahomes. He was picked at #10. Sometimes Championship QBs can be found even later in the draft.
Indeed. Ravens got a steal with Lamar Jackson so late in the draft last year. If there's a high potential guy there then yeah, y'all really need to move on from Tannehill and B.O. and the gang. But sont force the issue, Tannehill isnt exactly the problem either. It really is just like us and Dalton. Better off getting an elite lineman for either side or some such that early rather than forcing a QB pick on principle. Hope y'all do well.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been saying for years that the oline needs to be bolstered but when you are running the ball well and protecting them why go pass happy? That's Gases problem he thinks that he's playing madden football with the kids. He does a lot of good things but can't manage a balanced offence. It's imperative to do so especially with all of the injuries. If I felt that he had any chance of changing I'd stick with him but it's the same shit every game. How many 3rd and inches has he called QB sneak one in three years? Brady the fossil makes one a game to keep a drive going! It's frustrating I'm done watching him call the same stupid crap that costs them...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying for years that the oline needs to be bolstered but when you are running the ball well and protecting them why go pass happy? That's Gases problem he thinks that he's playing madden football with the kids. He does a lot of good things but can't manage a balanced offence. It's imperative to do so especially with all of the injuries. If I felt that he had any chance of changing I'd stick with him but it's the same shit every game. How many 3rd and inches has he called QB sneak one in three years? Brady the fossil makes one a game to keep a drive going! It's frustrating I'm done watching him call the same stupid crap that costs them...

FlyerFinFan,

Part of the reason that the QB sneak works so well for Brady is that they usually have a center that can create space for his QB. Also, Brady is really good at finding space if he needs to dive ahead left or right.
I agree that the Fins should use a QB sneak more often as long as they have the personnel& QB to get it done.

Let's hope that Gase takes an objective look at what didn't work with his play calls and makes the needed changes going forward. Ross is a loyal guy. I doubt that he makes a change with Gase. It is after all, Gase's first head coaching job.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FlyerFinFan,

Part of the reason that the QB sneak works so well for Brady is that they usually have a center that can create space for his QB. Also, Brady is really good at finding space if he needs to dive ahead left or right.
I agree that the Fins should use a QB sneak more often as long as they have the personnel& QB to get it done.

Let's hope that Gase takes an objective look at what didn't work with his play calls and makes the needed changes going forward. Ross is a loyal guy. I doubt that he makes a change with Gase. It is after all, Gase's first head coaching job.
I don't know I've seen a million centers in NE and Brady just falls forward when it's a few inches. Gase doesn't even try he goes into shotgun and asks the QB to fire a low percentage bomb. Never works then they punt. I'm not saying that you can never pass on short yardage but at least 50/50 run with the odd sneak. It's not like Tanny is crippled he's a former WR who has ten times to mobility than Brady.

Ballage was unstoppable the game was close then Gase goes pass happy oline breaks down and Tanny gets mauled. Ballage gets only one more carry the rest of the third and fourth quarter. How do you explain this? Minnie was laughing at Gase but we say well one day he will learn? Sorry it's getting sickening as Gase is supposed to be on the Fins side but he fails to use his personnel to their strengths. ...

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think the front office can evaluate talent very well. Tannehill is not a top 10 draft pick, three starting QB's drafted after in 3rd and 4th rounds, and they have whiffed on many upper round picks in past 10 years. They waste a second round pick on a TE that has 20 receptions for the year. Then follow up and waste a fourth round pick on a TE that had a grand total of 2 receptions this year. Are you kidding me. Look at all the picks 2 years ago, nothing special there, below average talent at best. As I mentioned at the beginning of the year when their roster was set, I said it appears to have very little talent on it.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of it is bad luck. The Fins had Jeff Ireland. He sold the farm for unproven Dion Jordan and then the team tried to play him in a different position. It was a disaster. Ireland then leaves the team and has a great draft for the Saints. They picked Kamara and Lattimore who were rookies of the year. Go figure??

The Fins drafts haven't been terrible overall just not good enough to compete with a Hall of QB and a Hall of Fame Head Coach.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take a look at the most recent draft: It usually takes 2 to 3 years to better judge a player but here are some early observations:

Round 1, Pick 11 (No. 11 overall):
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
A very versatile player. What he brings to the team is invaluable. He can play safety, slot corner & outside corner. That said, I think he is best in the slot. The Fins already have a slot corner though. McCain usually plays that spot. The team could use a top outside corner to pair with Howard in the draft or in free agency.

Round 2, Pick 10 (No. 42 overall):
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

He has the talent and potential to make more plays. The Fins should look to get him more involved in the offense next year.
Round 3, Pick 9 (No. 73 overall): Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State
I think he's been good but not great. There were other LBs available that I thought would be better.

Round 4, Pick 23 (No. 123 overall): Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame​
This guy is a great blocker. When you see a long run and he's on the field he is usually involved in the play.

Round 4, Pick 31 (No. 131 overall): Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State
He may be the team's best pick based on where they got him and his talent level. I would like to see the team give him a chance to show his talent some more in the next two games.

Round 6, Pick 35 (No. 209 overall) *compensatory selection: Cornell Armstrong, CB, Southern Miss
More of a special teams player
Round 7, Pick 9 (No. 227 overall): Quentin Polling, LB, Ohio
Practice squad
Round 7, Pick 11 (No. 229 overall): Jason Sanders, K, New Mexico
This was an excellent pick. He is very accurate and has a strong leg to get touchbacks.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take a look at the most recent draft: It usually takes 2 to 3 years to better judge a player but here are some early observations:

Round 1, Pick 11 (No. 11 overall):
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
A very versatile player. What he brings to the team is invaluable. He can play safety, slot corner & outside corner. That said, I think he is best in the slot. The Fins already have a slot corner though. McCain usually plays that spot. The team could use a top outside corner to pair with Howard in the draft or in free agency.

Round 2, Pick 10 (No. 42 overall):
Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State

He has the talent and potential to make more plays. The Fins should look to get him more involved in the offense next year.
Round 3, Pick 9 (No. 73 overall): Jerome Baker, OLB, Ohio State
I think he's been good but not great. There were other LBs available that I thought would be better.

Round 4, Pick 23 (No. 123 overall): Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame​
This guy is a great blocker. When you see a long run and he's on the field he is usually involved in the play.

Round 4, Pick 31 (No. 131 overall): Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State
He may be the team's best pick based on where they got him and his talent level. I would like to see the team give him a chance to show his talent some more in the next two games.

Round 6, Pick 35 (No. 209 overall) *compensatory selection: Cornell Armstrong, CB, Southern Miss
More of a special teams player
Round 7, Pick 9 (No. 227 overall): Quentin Polling, LB, Ohio
Practice squad
Round 7, Pick 11 (No. 229 overall): Jason Sanders, K, New Mexico
This was an excellent pick. He is very accurate and has a strong leg to get touchbacks.
I didn't mind the draft but Gesicki had to do more let's hope second year light goes on. Fitz they asked him to play too many positions messed him up. Kicker was great. But Harris last year stinks that was bad..

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind the draft but Gesicki had to do more let's hope second year light goes on. Fitz they asked him to play too many positions messed him up. Kicker was great. But Harris last year stinks that was bad..

The Harris pick was a bad decision. The guy can't get to a QB. That's a wasted pick for a first round DE. He has 3 sacks in two years.

As a unit I expected more from the Fins' DEs this year. Wake and Quinn combined have 12 sacks. There are 7 NFL players that have more sacks individually then both of those guys combined. 7 NFL players have 12 individual sacks which ties both of these guys combined totals.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins should draft best player available and not focus on one positional group because the team has lots of needs and a better pass rush is one of their needs. TJ Watt was drafted after Harris and has 12 sacks this year. He plays LB.

When there is so little production by a team that is not a good look for the coaches as well as the players.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins should draft best player available and not focus on one positional group because the team has lots of needs and a better pass rush is one of their needs. TJ Watt was drafted after Harris and has 12 sacks this year. He plays LB.

When there is so little production by a team that is not a good look for the coaches as well as the players.
In the hoop mock draft that year I traded back and took Watt. I was voted one of the worst drafts haha! Steelers are laughing now. But you are right too many misses in the draft especially at DE.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there aren't as many teams clamoring for a QB like last year. The Fins could have the option to pick one the first available QB's.

RE the DE position: If Ferguson of LA Tech slides to the Fins' 2nd round pick he could be a great choice to help generate more of a pass rush.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know I've seen a million centers in NE and Brady just falls forward when it's a few inches. Gase doesn't even try he goes into shotgun and asks the QB to fire a low percentage bomb. Never works then they punt. I'm not saying that you can never pass on short yardage but at least 50/50 run with the odd sneak. It's not like Tanny is crippled he's a former WR who has ten times to mobility than Brady.

Not quite. The decision isn't usually made until Brady goes under center. If Brady sees an opening, he taps the center on his ass and they go.....

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year there aren't as many teams clamoring for a QB like last year. The Fins could have the option to pick one the first available QB's.

RE the DE position: If Ferguson of LA Tech slides to the Fins' 2nd round pick he could be a great choice to help generate more of a pass rush.

Problem is, the QB position is thin this year, last year would have been year to pick one up, The FA market is weak as well. Fins may be stuck with Tannehill after all.