• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB, Amateur sport?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An
And you continue to ignore the title IX issues. STFU, dude. It ain’t happening.
d you keep arguing what IS when we are arguing a point of what SHOULD be. Please be smarter.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Longhorn football alone has been estimated at 1.1 billion dollars, net worth. But college football is an amateur sport; so make sure to not pay the players.

Duncery.
Can i get a link that values University of Texas Football at 1b ? not Athletics but the Football program by itself and please for the love of god make it something other than wikipedia (before i go edit their page)

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard2Bluff

Beer Consumer
Hoopla Cash
$ 263.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, sign them to contracts so they are required to play in bowl games, can't transfer under any circumstances, and can be fired/released if they don't perform up to expectations out of high-school or get injured.
Pay per play?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interns aren’t principals. Vince Young wasn’t holding clipboards and getting coffee for the staff meeting.

The players are the principals in this multi billion dollar industry. Try again

You do understand that laws are in place so that any benefit they give to football players or revenue sports they have to give to other athletes. I'm not saying they can't but the money they get is going to be smaller than one might think.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Longhorn football alone has been estimated at 1.1 billion dollars, net worth. But college football is an amateur sport; so make sure to not pay the players.

Duncery.

Oh look, it's a retard who doesn't remotely understand the economics of college football.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, only about 30-40 actually operate in the black...much less make a BIG profit.

That's what baffles me about this argument. I don't think the general public knows this, they think the money is there to pay kids. UT would be fine, and could money whip themselves a few titles, but the sport would die out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what baffles me about this argument. I don't think the general public knows this, they think the money is there to pay kids. UT would be fine, and could money whip themselves a few titles, but the sport would die out.
It's remarkable how ignorant the people are that are trying to make this argument. I think ET is trolling at this point, as he's been roundly proven wrong, but there are still others who think it's perfectly cut and dry that players should be paid no matter what and that it's just a quick fix.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, sign them to contracts so they are required to play in bowl games, can't transfer under any circumstances, and can be fired/released if they don't perform up to expectations out of high-school or get injured.

Some of those are already in play...scholarships are yr to yr, kids not living up can and do get pushed out.

I think the CFB model was perfect back in the day of AP/Coaches poll, prior to the mega TV contracts.

You had a 9 or 10 game regular season and if you had a good year, your team was rewarded with a bowl game and CFB season ended on New Years Day. The scholarship was maybe not a 100% = compensation, but it was a lot closer than it is now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC, only about 30-40 actually operate in the black...much less make a BIG profit.

Yep...when you pay your DC and OC a million dollars a yrs now, HC $3 to $5 mil per...I can see some marginal revenue programs not bringing a major profit or in some cases barely breaking even.

That doesn't apply to the football factories...that said...TV revenue and sponsors...find the money there. We're not talking about 100k contracts here.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding any real money to the players would tear apart FBS. It would create an even wider divide between the big programs and everyone else. Programs already barely alive would have to fold or drop to fcs or lower.

Even allowing kids just to profit from their own likeness would rock the balance and screw things up.

Adding the basic stipend and making sure none of them go hungry were important fights. Paying them on top of everything else they already get is just plain stupid. It fixes nothing and breaks all of college athletics for everyone. Period.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there are many that may be very close to "selling the farm" in order to keep up with the Jones...aka the Texas', Ohio States, Alabamas, USCs, Michigans, etal of the world. While not like those, Oregon and Oklahoma State have the sugar daddies that may allow them to keep up without selling the farm.

Here is one I heard on the radio yesterday. Part of Holgerson's agreement with Houston...allocating $4.5 million for assistants pay. Per the source, thatallocation is more than what all but 16 P5 teams pay for assistants. And Houston is doing that WITHOUT a P5 share of TV revenue. They are doing it on an AAC amount.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn’t matter. It has ceased being an amateur sport decades ago. It’s a multi billion dollar industry. In fact, just one school’s program is in the seven digits.
The schools make millions, the individual coaches make millions, the broadcasters make millions, everyone associated with the sport is spending and making millions... except for the principals doing the sport.
No monopoly should dictate to the principals their compensation in such an enterprise. It’s laughably unfair, unamerican, immoral, and illegal.
Just gonna leave this right here.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If being able to make money off strictly being a college athlete then every single benefit you received outside of tuition is taxable. Every single high priced recruit would end up bankrupt within a year except the affluent student athlete which is the exact opposite type of person this faux outrage bill is meaning to help.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75% of schools would be forced to scrap their varsity football program. But at least we will have satisfied the entitlement of some.
Yep. Would be a very small pool of teams left.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate this bullshit. College is about going to college. If free room and board isn't enough, then gtfo. Go start a football farm league. As if giving some of these Neanderthals a college diploma isn't ridiculous enough?

:rolleyes:
As long as they're winning pal! Right?
article-2528634-1A4660EB00000578-912_306x423.jpg

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If being able to make money off strictly being a college athlete then every single benefit you received outside of tuition is taxable. Every single high priced recruit would end up bankrupt within a year except the affluent student athlete which is the exact opposite type of person this faux outrage bill is meaning to help.

They should tax endorsements obviously

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should tax endorsements obviously

They will tax endorsements and will put the kids right back to where they started, broke. NCAA basketball is a little different because it’s easier to invest in kids though.