• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Center field

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fogerty can play it, so can Ian Kinsler and Cody Bellinger. So why are the Reds so insistent that they don't have anybody who can do that and still hit more than Mendoza?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The world as we know it might end. It would set off a cataclysmic set of events that might lead too...... winning.

I'm not going to say the team would be better off with Jesse Winker playing CF because he can hit, but that notion is nearly as ridiculous as saying that Billy Hamilton should play everyday because he's fast.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they think Senzel can play outfield, which would shove Schebler to CF. I guess I can live with that if Senzel can hit.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to assume Senzel can play the outfield. He's reportedly a very good athlete with above average tools. I'm also going to assume he's a better overall player than Scott Schebler. I don't think either will be the everyday CF next season.

Schebler is pretty much what the scouting report said he was. He was near his ceiling when acquired and is already 28 years old. He's probably not going to improve much moving forward. He's a nice piece to have in the mix, but not necessarily as an everyday player at any one OF position.

Winker is the best hitter in the mix, but also the least athletic. His bat will determine whether he is an everyday player. His defense and lack of speed is always going to be a liabilty.

Senzel and Taylor Trammel are the future and that future is right around the corner. I think Hamilton, Winker, and Schebler will be roaming the OF in 2019, but at least two of those three won't be everyday players by 2020 mid-season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trammell gets good marks so they may have him up by the end of summer. I really don't like Schebler's overall game but I think there is a freak year in there where he over-heats his data. Winker may end up playing some first base.

Wondering how a new manager works with the front office on Hamilton, who plays just well enough to stay out of jail. Ervin clearly is a better hitter and is adequate in the OF.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Schebler maintains a more patient approach and hits the ball the other way he's a much better hitter. He get's himself into trouble when he tries to pull everything. The same can be said for Suarez.

Phil Ervin hit better than expected. It's a small sample size, so it's hard to know if it'll continue. He was always profiled as a corner outfielder. I think he is fast enough to play CF, but they say his route to the ball needs to be better.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any outfielder who tries can improve his defense. The arm, not so much ... which is why they created the cutoff man. I see other teams putting butchers in the outfield. It costs them a win or two, but it's better, I suppose, to score some runs instead of hoping the fastest guy in town can foul off one or two before he gets rung up. The U-turn at home plate has no variable speeds.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Trammell is the next best prospect to Senzel the Reds have. He was drafted the same year as Senzel, but was drafted out of HS. Senzel has already played AAA and should be up in 2019. Trammell finished 2018 in A+. Given the Reds track record promoting prospects he'll probably be in AA this season and AAA in 2020 to start the season.

I'm going to assume the Reds aren't going to extend Billy Hamilton. I'd think the possibilty he could be traded before reaching free agency is more likely. Who plays CF in between Hamilton's departure and Trammell's arrival seems less vital if this team continues to lose 90+ games. But it's still worthy of discussion.

A lot of fans take the stance nothing else matters if the pitching doesn't improve. In the big picture that may be somewhat true, but every roster spot is important at some level to turning this club around.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching in Cincy is a matter of survival. Keep the ball down and the occasional mistake won't beat you; Cueto was living proof of it. Nobody on base is a solo home run, equal to a double and an RBI single. I think they will again cobble together a rotation much like last summer with the added spin that these guys are maturing with experience. Maybe they will be smarter but the line drives into Row 12 are still going to be murder for every one of these guys.

It would help if they plan to contend that winning about half the time on the road is equal to winning 50 times at home, provided you don't lose 48 games at home.

I think the Reds need to get past the wow factor that Hamilton provides with his defense and speed. He's just not going to move the needle much. The larger problem is putting a .230 hitter in CF who isn't as good on defense, bringing the .230 down to .210. I think Schebler and Ervin can achieve that.

I heard Tom Nichols, the Dayton guy who got the one game on Reds radio with Marty back in August sometime. Nichols said that of the many players who came through Dayton, Trammell was one of two guys who were advanced enough at that age that they projected big league talent. Senzel, obviously older, was the other. I can't recall the entire context, but Nichols was saying that Trammell's natural tools were abundant and that he could not say that about anybody else.

Cincy may go out to get an outfielder or they may send Dilson out there for a short stretch until Trammell is ready. I'd book on that since they will lose Dilson otherwise and if they don't see a long-term deal with Scooter (they should not) he can slide in to play 2B. That gives them some flexibiiity with Senzel.

All in all, that plot line makes sense if they have something of an idea when they leave Arizona. In the past 5 years, I don't think they did. I mean, wft ... Gosselin and Pennington? Seriously? Yovani Gallardo?

And, guys like Stephens who throw the ball 96 mph are pretty common these days.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a report saying Nick Senzel was having surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow. He was scheduled to play in the Arizona Fall League, but that's obviously been scrapped.

The kid has been spending more time at the Homer Bailey Rehab Center than playing baseball. It's not actually called the Homer Bailey Center, but with the amount of time Homer has spent there it should be.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a report saying Nick Senzel was having surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow. He was scheduled to play in the Arizona Fall League, but that's obviously been scrapped.

The kid has been spending more time at the Homer Bailey Rehab Center than playing baseball. It's not actually called the Homer Bailey Center, but with the amount of time Homer has spent there it should be.
I always wonder about 'bone spurs' and what it really means. Do regular people suffer from this or is it just baseball players? Righthanded baseball players.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bone spurs often come as a result of arthritis or injury. You think of older guys like us when you hear the term arthritis, but sport injuries sometimes trigger it in relatively young athletes.

Injuries and damage to the joint are generally the culprit in athletes. Genetics play a role in it all, but it could be as simple as being hbp in his elbow a few years ago. Bone injuries trigger the growth of bone to repair itself.

I have a similar condition that affects my left shoulder. I'll probably never pitch again. LOL

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a similar condition that affects my left shoulder. I'll probably never pitch again. LOL

Maybe you should give it a try couldn't be any worse than some of the guys pitching for the Reds

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...... I never did officially retire.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds were interested in me as far backj as 1964, and they said they would call when they had a roster spot. So far, I am still waiting.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should check back and make sure they still have the correct contact information.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should check back and make sure they still have the correct contact information.
Yes, I did get a new address and phone number. But I thought they were up to speed on that.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone has even mentioned the name of Mason Williams. He doesn't seem to be thought of very highly by Reds fans. I thought he played well in the opportunies he was allotted.

I would rate him as the 2nd best defensive OF among the current options we've seen at the ML level. He may well be the 2nd best hitter in terms of batting average as well. He's stronger against RHP, but isn't helpless against LHP. He may not be an everyday player, but that same argument can be made about some of the players in the mix we've seen play at the ML level.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Williams shows he can handle an OF job even if it's been in low leverage environment. If he is an overall upgrade on Hamilton, I suspect ownership will not agree with that assessment. Sadly, we are the fans. I never figured MW to be anything but trade meat because of that.

Wondering where Duvall shows up next year. Of his flaws as a hitter, he's adequate as an outfielder.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what happened to Duval. until this year he was a pretty good hitter, at least till the all star break.