• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics Off-Season - the Quest for AD

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... school's out and and I've had time to think the matter over.

My conclusion is: acquiring AD to pair with Kyrie is option 1A for the Celtics this off-season. In other words: this is the most desired end to be driven towards with a clear intention.

I'm not talking reckless abandon, mind you... as in: "give New Orleans whatever they want want!"... no. Rather, I'm talking play a game of poker with an eye towards winning the big hand.

This is the offer I've settled on as the one for Boston to angle towards: C's get AD. The Pel's get:
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Marcus Smart
  • Robert Williams
  • rights to the #14 pick this year
  • the future Memphis pick
That's about right, in my estimation.

Where does that leave Boston in the aftermath?
  • Kyrie gets resigned to a 5 year, super big contract. Fair enough, that's the deal.
  • Horford also likely renegotiates and resigns. Let's call it 4 years and $70 or $80 million.
  • Marcus Morris would be a priority resign as well. 2 or 3 years, $10-$12 million-ish per, and a chance to play for a title.
  • Rozier is gone. See ya, cry baby.
  • The C's probably couldn't keep Theis, either.
  • What do the broad strokes of the roster look like then?:
  1. Bigs - AD, Horford, Baynes, Yabusele
  2. Wings - Hayward, Morris, Brown, Ojeleye
  3. Guards - Kyrie, {gulp}, Wanamaker?, {gulp}, ??
The obvious weak point would be at guard. And the C's would have a super high pay roll. So here would have to be some "low cost veteran looking for a ring" type signings. Not ideal, but workable.

Then: it's title or bust. Plan to do so well that we get not only an NBA title but positive energy to resign AD next year when the time comes.

That's the plan.

ulEpZC.gif

-------

Of course, all of this depends on Kyrie and where he's at mentally. If Kyrie is willing to stay to both 1.) play with AD and 2.) get paid... this outcome is very much within the realm of possibility. If Kyrie is out the door no matter what... then this whole thing crumbles.

If Kyrie is in, though... this roster is a monster.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My conclusion is: acquiring AD to pair with Kyrie is option 1A for the Celtics this off-season. In other words: this is the most desired end to be driven towards with a clear intention.

I'm not talking reckless abandon, mind you... as in: "give New Orleans whatever they want want!"... no. Rather, I'm talking play a game of poker with an eye towards winning the big hand.

This is the offer I've settled on as the one for Boston to angle towards: C's get AD. The Pel's get:
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Marcus Smart
  • Robert Williams

• Kyrie gets resigned to a 5 year, super big contract. Fair enough, that's the deal.
  • Horford also likely renegotiates and resigns. Let's call it 4 years and $70 or $80 million.
  • Marcus Morris would be a priority resign as well. 2 or 3 years, $10-$12 million-ish per, and a chance to play for a title.
The obvious weak point would be at guard. And the C's would have a super high pay roll. So here would have to be some "low cost veteran looking for a ring" type signings. Not ideal, but workable.

Then: it's title or bust. Plan to do so well that we get not only an NBA title but positive energy to resign AD next year when the time comes.

That's the plan.

ulEpZC.gif

-------

Of course, all of this depends on Kyrie and where he's at mentally. If Kyrie is willing to stay to both 1.) play with AD and 2.) get paid... this outcome is very much within the realm of possibility. If Kyrie is out the door no matter what... then this whole thing crumbles.

I don't see him staying, but who knows with him...very well thought out and seems fair for NO. Does it make the Cs better? Not so sure.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but an injury to AD or Kyrie (who get hurt a lot)?

AD played with Boogie and Jrue and not sure they were going far even if all were healthy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd have to be absolutely sure AD signs long term before making that move.

Admittedly it would be fucking hilarious to see boston give up Tatum for a one year rental.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Jayson Tatum
  • Marcus Smart
  • Robert Williams

That's the plan.

ulEpZC.gif

-------

I don't want him to return next season & here's why. He proved how great of a leader he truly is in games 2-5 in that Bucks series.

The Celtics were 12-3 w/o him during the regular season. But only 37-30 when he played.

He didn't play in the playoffs last year & the Celtics made it to game 7 of ECF. This year bounced out in the 2nd round.

An like I've said before he's a damn good player. But he will never lead a team to a title as the # 1 guy.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want him to return next season & here's why. He proved how great of a leader he truly is in games 2-5 in that Bucks series.

The Celtics were 12-3 w/o him during the regular season. But only 37-30 when he played.

He didn't play in the playoffs last year & the Celtics made it to game 7 of ECF. This year bounced out in the 2nd round.

An like I've said before he's a damn good player. But he will never lead a team to a title as the # 1 guy.

Agree, but I guess in this case AD might be the #1 guy. Maybe not, though, on O, since AD can't really get the ball unless Kyrie gives it up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F%CK KYRIE!!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd have to be absolutely sure AD signs long term before making that move.

Admittedly it would be fucking hilarious to see boston give up Tatum for a one year rental.

No chance in he'll he signs long term in Boston. One year rental at best

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, they could have Kyrie and AD and if Kyrie continued to play like he did this season it wouldn't matter. They would be better but I think it's best if the C's just let Kyrie walk. Then of course the Cavs win that trade in the end too :D

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, they could have Kyrie and AD and if Kyrie continued to play like he did this season it wouldn't matter. They would be better but I think it's best if the C's just let Kyrie walk. Then of course the Cavs win that trade in the end too :D

Kyrie just bought a house in Orange. He's most likely going to NY (either Brooklyn or Knicks).

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear you. I don't necessarily disagree with your critique.

If it were just the question of Kyrie by himself... maybe I'd be more on your wavelength.

But we're talking AD, too... and I kinda going all-in on that...

... you'll notice that an outcome of my plan here is that Kyrie is no longer "the #1 guy." Right?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. I don't necessarily disagree with your critique.

If it were just the question of Kyrie by himself... maybe I'd be more on your wavelength.

But we're talking AD, too... and I kinda going all-in on that...

... you'll notice that an outcome of my plan here is that Kyrie is no longer "the #1 guy." Right?

I don't see the Celtics getting AD without giving up Kyrie. Not saying your idea wouldn't work. But that's a lot to give up for only a 1 year rental.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's a lot to give up for only a 1 year rental.
Look at the finished product, though. A team with:
  • AD
  • Kyrie
  • Horford
  • Hayward (another year healthier)
  • Brown
That team's a monster next season.

Then you gotta think about... are the C's really competing for a championship otherwise?

Another happy outcome of my plan is we happily let Rozier walk. If we go the other way... Kyrie walks, that is... what do we do about the PG spot?

Do you want Rozier back? I don't. He was garbage last season... and he showed a weak, whiny character as well... which really soured me on him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the finished product, though. A team with:
  • AD
  • Kyrie
  • Horford
  • Hayward (another year healthier)
  • Brown
That team's a monster next season.

Then you gotta think about... are the C's really competing for a championship otherwise?

Another happy outcome of my plan is we happily let Rozier walk. If we go the other way... Kyrie walks, that is... what do we do about the PG spot?

Do you want Rozier back? I don't. He was garbage last season... and he showed a weak, whiny character as well... which really soured me on him.
while I don't think that team is as good as you do, I do agree with you it might be the best outcome.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This still ignores one significant problem as I understand it - the Celtics can't trade for AD until July 1 specifically because Kyrie is on the roster.

So the Celtics would somehow 1) have to convince Kyrie to stay and 2) convince NO to hold off on trading AD until after the draft and trust their word that they're going to give them what they're asking because Kyrie is agreeing to stay.

If you're NO, and knowing that there's some crazy shit going on in Kyrie's head at any given time and he could easily change his mind, why risk it when you could wind up with a second top 4 pick and other assets?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a reasonable trade offer assuming they resign Kyrie. Depending on what the Knicks/Lakers/other unknown team they might need to sweeten it a bit more.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This still ignores one significant problem as I understand it - the Celtics can't trade for AD until July 1 specifically because Kyrie is on the roster.

So the Celtics would somehow 1) have to convince Kyrie to stay and 2) convince NO to hold off on trading AD until after the draft and trust their word that they're going to give them what they're asking because Kyrie is agreeing to stay.

If you're NO, and knowing that there's some crazy shit going on in Kyrie's head at any given time and he could easily change his mind, why risk it when you could wind up with a second top 4 pick and other assets?

This is a non-issue. Whatever the league rules require, the two teams would agree in principle until the time required. This happens all the time.